1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Online Reading Club

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by maddie, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Maddie,

Yes, you got that right, messages have to be on a 1st come-1st serve basis, the remaining messages needs to be passed on to the next month's review list.

Of course, by any chance, if any member is unable to present, you need to be informed in advance, so as to give you time to make some backup arrangements, with the next member on the list of reviews, as a replacement.

Try something on these lines for a begining and you can track how we are proceeding and then make adjustments to the rules, that suits everyone.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Here are my suggestions:
    Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth Web Event
    Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth
    Sidney Poitier - The Measure of a Man
    Gabrial Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
    Cormac McCarthy - The Road

These are recent books. If we can all manage to get any one then we can choose that one.

If they are difficult to get then we can go with some older books like 2007 .

What do you all say?

3. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

Hi to all,

AC, good suggestionsBow! But it would also help if you can give a small brief about the book so that it would help others decide which one to decide on :).

I would suggest each member to nominate two book titles, and we could ask all the members to vote. Likewise we could choose two books for a month. I would also suggest the members to chose from two different genres or one newer and one older title. It would be great if one could give a short synopsis of the book - can easily find in Amazon. The nomination can be in this format : Title, Authors name and Synopsis.

Thanks in advance to all the members.

Regarding the discussion question. Usually one can find in the book it self reading guide or we can find questions online or we could ask each member to write some good questions. Good questions are open ended and debatable aso specific enough for a focused discussion.

The books I would like to nominate are

Title : Rebecca
    Author: Daphne du Maurier
    Synopsis: "Last Night I Dreamt I Went To Manderley Again."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past ther beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten...her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca...for the secrets of Manderley.

Title: The Witch of Portobello
    Author: Paulo Coelho
    Synopsis: How do we find the courage to always be true to ourselves—even if we are unsure of who we are?

That is the central question of international bestselling author Paulo Coelho's profound new work, The Witch of Portobello. It is the story of a mysterious woman named Athena, told by the many who knew her well—or hardly at all. Like The Alchemist, The Witch of Portobello is the kind of story that will transform the way readers think about love, passion, joy, and sacrifice.

Thanks alot. Please do post your nominations. It would be open till 5th evening.

Once we get the nominations, I'll post a poll on this thread, so that you can vote easily for the book.

Regards
    Maddie

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Maddie,

My vote is for the Witch of Portobello! Just finished reading it...so!

5. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Madddddddddddie !

How could you do this to me ? You just stole my book away from me !!! (Just kidding !) REBECCA is my all time fav !!!! You have 200% vote from me for Rebecca. I've been reading that book since I was 14 yrs and still do !!! I wanted to nominate this one, but I'm feeling happy that someone adores & worships (I hope so !) the book the same way I do !

The other book I would nominate is -
    Title - "The Count of Monte Cristo"
    Author - Alexander Dumas.
    Gist - This is the story of revenge of Edmond Dante, a french sailor, against those who plotted him as a Bonapartist and got him thrown into the dungeons of Chateau d'If (prison for terrorists in those days), on the day of his wedding to Mercedes, his love. A superb tale of suffering and the truimph of good over evil. A great saga that spans over the years and leaves you with a feeling "Did he really achieve what he set out to do ?"

6. SujathaSridhar

SujathaSridhar New IL'ite

Hello everyone

This is my first post here. I landed on this website through a Google search. I have just started looking at the different topics in the forum. I love the idea of being able to participate in an online book club. Here are some of my recommendations:

Doctors by Erich Segal: An all-time favorite of mine. Have read it a couple of times but a really long time ago. Absolutely love the flow and the story. It is about the life of Doctors in general and revolves around 2 characters mainly.

Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri: Recently read this one. Something that many NRIs can relate to. Was a good read.

Also like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.

Looking forward to actively participate in this forum

Sujatha

7. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

i'v seen the movie rebecca by alfred hitchcock& luved it!!!!!!!!!! havent read the book though.....

8. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hey!

Its great going through this thread, since I luv books too! Luved Doctors, Rebecca, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Am a big Jodi Picoult fan! Anybody here who has read her books?

My all time favorite by Jodi is MY SISTER'S KEEPER and THE PACT.
    She writes with such finesse, and delves deep into the human syche and comes outwith the innermost feelings, its unbelievable!
    I find her to be a very sensitive writer.
    I would definitely recommend her books to all of u!
    Presently I am reading Spouses by Shobhaa De and One Night at @Call Centre by Chetan bhagat!

Happy reading!

9. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

hi Sumeru

Kool ....great to find that someone who is el favo of Rebecca. I completely worship the book and it has helped me in so many unknown ways. We have got some really interesting suggestions. (Personally I vote for Rebecca too :) ).

There should be a second book which we could start after discussing Rebecca. Please all do let me know. I would be more than happy to start reading the book. As and when we read we can post our discussion. I would post the discussion questions.

So, we have the following great books so far -

From anandchitra:
    Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth Web Event
    Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth
    Sidney Poitier - The Measure of a Man
    Gabrial Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
    Cormac McCarthy - The Road

From Me (and Sumeru) :
    Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier (2 votes so far)
    The Witch of Portobello - Paulo Coelho (2 votes so far)
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

From Sujatha:
    Doctors - Erich Segal
    Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
    DaVinci Code - Dan Brown
    Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

From ANK:
    My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
    The Pact - Jodi Picoult
    Spouses - Shobha De
    One Night @ a Call Centre - Chetan Bhagat

Wow, we're booming :)!...

I hope I have covered everyone. We've got 2 votes each to two of the books. I guess we'll leave more nominations for later, and go by this list.

Vidhya, if you liked the movie, then it would be a good experience reading the book as well. I have found it many times that reading the book and watching the movie would give you a lot to compare. But you're welcome to choose from the rest of them too :).

ANK, nice to meet another Jodi Picoult fan :). I have read almost all of her works - the best one was My Sister's Keeper.

So, come on guys, vote for the book you would like to read from the list above!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi ,
    I will try to get Rebecca and any of the Jodi Picoult s books too....i have not read these, sounds interesting......
    I guess we could discuss Dan Brown also....if a few more think it is worth discussing.....read it loong ago....
    But great , i am getting to know some good books to read.....so happy that Maddie started all this!