1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Online Reading Club

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by maddie, Feb 24, 2008.

1. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanvy

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. If you could suggest me a book it would be more than welcome. The Kite Runner was just a suggestion as already one of our members was reading the book. Thanks once again
    Regards
    Maddie

2. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

HI Maddie

Good Idea. I love to read and Would love to join. Right now i am at IStanbul and do not get good English Books to read, But moving back to chennai in March and hoping to rectify this problem by picking up all the good reads:-D:coffee
    Cheers
    Jay

3. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Maddie,

I have a suggestion on these lines....

My suggestion is members present the review of the books they like and have read till date and discuss it on this thread. That way, we get to hear about different kinds of books, which will also help, if we need some prior reviews before buying the book.

What we could do is -

1. Each of us sends a book title that we have already read, and which we would like to review & discuss here, to you (to Maddie) through a private message (just to avoid of a spate of posts here, just for sending you the book name, which is not required).

2. This message should reach you before a certain date, so that you can collate this information, then publish this list in the format below ->
    Person / Book title / Review Presentation Date, in your post here.
    Eg :
    Person / Book Title / Review Presentation Date
    1.Member 1 / Book 1 / March 3rd
    2.Member 2 / Book 2 / March 10th
    3.Member 3 / Book 3 / March 17th
    4. So On......

3. On March 3rd, Member 1 should post her review on the book she has selected (Book 1). Then all the members can discuss on that book for a week's time.

4. On March 10th, Member 2 should post her review on the book she has selected (Book 2). Then all the members can discuss on that book for a week's time.

5. We move on this way, till we complete all the review published in the Review list for the month.

6. Towards the end of the month, members should again send their book title to you, so that you can publish the next month's review list.

7. This activity can be planned in advance for a month, so that we all know the agenda of books review for that month, in the format I've shown above.

8. Thus, you can control the book that's being reviewed for the week and members also get to know a wide variety of books, from our discussions here. Our book discussions will be more organized and meaningful, if we have a system like this in place, to manage the activities.

Folks, please let me know what you think or any other suggestions ?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Mybe for starters we can take a book from Oprah book club which is available online?
    Also as far as i know in most places the book is read at the same time so reviews would probably be done aroun the same time too? What do you all think?

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi Maddie,

I am currently reading "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra - very voluminous abt a 1000 pages or so and The Wife of Martin Guerre - Janet Lewis - very small about a 100 pages or so.

I agree with Sudha that 'The kite runner' is an awesome book - this is also the book for discussion for my local book club on the 5th of March. 'A Thousand splendid suns' by the same author also has v.good reviews. I also have more or less read all the books by Paulo Coehlo and will read him again in a heart beat.

I have to agree with Sumeru that you need to come up with a way of choosing a book - I am willing to read any book you choose without asking a question :) Our book club has limited members - 6 of us and every month, one member has to choose a book and we all read that book and discuss in the next meeting. Usually the person who has chosen the book also comes up with questions for discussions and more often than not, they are printed in the book or the site.

And to get us started, following the books of an already existing book club like Oprah's as suggested by Anandchitra is a great idea.

Look forward to hearing about March book and reading it too.

Thanks.

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi AC,

Whats this Oprah 's book club......can u send a link. I have not heard of this. As it is it is difficult to get hold of english books.......i just found a library which has a few collections. Thats how i got Kiterunner.

Hi Maddie and all others,

Anyone who has finished this book can start the discussion, to kick start mabye and for all of us to understand how to go about this discussion forum. This is a first for me. I just raed and discuss with that person who suggests the book in the first place. Thats all.
    I am yet to finish this book, will hurry along now...... I try to read slowly since i dont get so many books here.....ha ha.....

Anyone is a fan of Fredrick Forsyth here......we could discuss his books too.....
    Looking forward to an active partcipation!

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha
    Heres the link for Oprah's club; the books selected there are always good. I have read Forsyth books many years back Liked them then.
    Welcome to Oprah's Book Club!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sudha,

Fredrick forsyth have read his books..we could discuss them..

Even dan brown makes a good read.

9. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm sorry, I had been away for a couple of days, so could not respond here.

First of all, Sumeru - brilliant idea :)! That is a very organized way of doing it.

Just one question I have - what you mean is, we can select four books suggested through private messages by the first four members, and any further suggestions we can advance to the next month?

AC - Oprah's book club is a good idea. I'm a regular watcher of the Oprah Winfrey show as well. The books they look at are very good.

So, If can we decide on one book.Dan Brown, Fredrick Forsyth, Khalid Hosseini are some of the authors book that been suggested. If we could agree on a method of choosing the books. We could start our online reading group.

Thanks a lot to everyone.
    Regards
    Maddie

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Yeah Shanti, i too ahve raed all the Dan Brown's books.

But Maddie, i think one of you should start taking the lead......how is a discussion done , or how do we go about it!

Shanti or AC , or any one else also, can take the lead, and start the whole process. I have never done any discussion, so i am at a loss. But we do have some books and authors now, so lets START!