1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One 'single' Peeve ..... Only Rmpwf Welcome!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 29, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I am seriously upset. With a certain brand of people called 'respectable married people with families' (RMPWF). Why? Well it's like this. Just a few days back, I read a statement here on one of the threads where a single lady was told that one of the disadvantages of remaining single is the difficulty in finding housing in a place like the one I live in. I have certainly heard about this kind of stuff and am not totally oblivious to the fact that such things do happen. But (I am tired of starting sentences with 'however' and am in no mood to follow the rules of grammar. In fact, I want to break all rules, RIGHT NOW!) I was not aware of the seriousness of the issue nor was I aware that the people around me belonged to the same category.

Scene: Annual General Body Meeting of XYZ block.
    Issue: Higher rates of maintenance for apartments let out to PGs.
    Complainant: One gentleman who has 2-3 tenants sharing an apartment and says he charges nothing more than what is charged for a family. No one has had any complaint against his tenants so far.

Without getting into the nitty gritties of the issue, let me get down to the point. From past experience, people are fed up of PGs (read flats with 8-10 inmates, who work all odd hours, walk in and out as they please, party late into the night, make a racket, have scant respect for rules of decent living, use huge amounts of resources such as water, indulge in PDA on the balconies in full view of the impressionable minds of the children of RMPWF). So it was decided that it was unfair to charge PG accommodations the same as normal residential flats. They were to be treated as commercial flats.

One of the statements made at the AGM was that this step was taken to 'discourage' letting out flats to 'singles'. (All singles 'make nuisance' ..... whatever that might mean ..... which means these RMPWF admit to having done the same till the shehnai echoed in their ears and set their brains right). My ears stood up. My flesh crawled. My fangs were bared. If it had not been for a tightly scripted agenda, I would have gone for the person who made this statement. I shall certainly bring it up at one of the monthly meetings.

The implication is that a roof over the head necessitates a 'respectable' state of life - one with a partner. Of course said partners should be welded together by a piece of paper issued in one of the government offices. They can have as many family members or visitors, it does not affect the amount of water used (but no, any visitor visiting a 'single' is one visitor too many and drains out all the tanks in the building). The house owner has a right to have a say on the person's private life. He must have a partner. The partner must be of a particular gender. It does not matter if they pretend to be married. No one is going to check out the docs but they should claim to be married. So long as they 'look' married.

So. What happens if a single daughter or son lives with parents in their own home or in a rented house (staying with parents makes them respectable, right?) and the parents move on to another dimension? Should said single son or daughter be thrown out onto the streets or be compelled to get married (to restore respectability) or jump off the highest point in the building?

What happens if a person loses his/her spouse? Do they still remain 'respectable' despite being 'single' for all practical purposes? (I am talking of couples without kids).

I was seriously thinking of a solution to this problem. One is not allowed to discriminate against people of any religion, caste or community, but 'singles' are fair game. We talk of the need for retirement homes for elderly couples whose evil children do not care for them. We have nursing homes for the invalid. Why not have builders come up with a concept of 'singles villages' where homes are sold only to singles - RMPWF strictly unwelcome? Paranjape schemes, Shobha builders, Mantri builders and ..... any other builders in this 'single' unfriendly country, are you listening?

BTW, the PM of this country is a bachelor. A previous PM (of the same party) was also a bachelor. If the current opposition party comes into power, the likely candidate will also be a bachelor. How come they are allowed to occupy huge, rambling bungalows at the expense of the taxpayer, while tax paying, rent paying singles are not allowed to rent even a tiny apartment? Some wise person once said "All people are equal, some are more equal than the others'.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Laws can exist to ensure that prospective tenants are not discriminated against based on gender, religion, ethnicity, marital status, children or no children, vegetarian or non-vegetarian, sexual orientation, and so on.

Owners are required to follow these laws, and can be sued if a tenant's application is rejected for one of the above reasons.

Fair enough?

Then, there is the reality that families with children are likely to wear the house down more than families with only adults. Some of the wearing down can be expensive to fix or very inconvenient to fix. Similarly, people of certain ethnicity are likely to take better care of the house than others.

Similarly, RMPWF have been found to be less likely to disturb neighborhood peace. And, singles are more likely to be the partying kind. Does not mean all RMPWF are the ideal tenant and all singles are party animals.

sindmani, joylokhi and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I don't know whether one can really enforce a law which would prevent owners from turning away singles. It is my house. It is my wish whom I let it out to. Besides, they might actually give any other reason. Associations might be able to charge extra for a PG as a commercial establishment, which is a different matter. But frowning on owners letting out their homes to peaceful singles is ridiculous.

You are right. RMPWF don't necessarily make better tenants. But say a word against their kids, and you run the risk of being lynched as a child hating witch.

sindmani, Rihana and joylokhi like this.
  4. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

What was the reasoning behind the decision? Were there any actual nuisance cases cited ?

And fwiw, the PM is technically not a bachelor since he did get married once.

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

You are right . Indian society as such is against letting out of houses to 'singles'. I can understand your angst at seeing the discrimination even against 'respectable' singles. I, as a house owner myself have not entertained the idea of letting out our house also to singles . I can cite umpteen reasons - which u have already mentioned in one word read as 'nuisance'. It is definitely not that all singles would belong to this category- but how is one to judge before even letting out that he/she would would be , , a respectable tenant? It is not possible to lay down rules/ question lifestyle etc before letting out. Where families are concerned, we will be dealing with a single person taking responsibility , as against many individual 'singles'! We have a PG just opposite to our building. All (almost 30) of them are working in the nearby techpark and surely decent folks. However, they keep up all sorts of odd hours, have drinking sessions on their terraces etc. This would not affect an accomodation meant for singles - and can be tolerated as long as they dont cause disturbance to the neighbourhood.
    The balance is definitely against respectable singles. Sadly here we do not have a system of proper control of rentals/leasing etc unlike in the west. There, it is easy for singles as well as families to find accomodation to their liking without having to compromise on anything. The concerned leasing offices ensure adherence to strict rules and house owners are happy handing over their houses to be managed by them.
    At least where flats with housing associations are there, they can show no discrimination on these grounds and
    only get into it if adverse complaints against 'singles' come to their notice.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi,

I can understand your loud rant regarding the unfair treatment meted out to the singles by house owners, but owners are an entirely different species of people who fear that single people may get involved in romantic issues and end up in either murders or suicides.
    There are many singles who are well behaved and respect the rules of the housing society but there are some black sheep who bring disrepute to the entire singles community. Even if a couple is married, the owners demand right from their marriage certificate to their birth certificate, including Aadar card etc, which many people might not possess. Even as a family, we have experienced lot of difficulties while searching for a house for rent. What an explosive rant it was ! Great one!
    Agatha83

satchitananda likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

We have seen so many movies with two singles acting as husband, wife.A total lie is accepted than the'single'truth.In madras also it is very difficult to get accommodation for bachelors/spinsters.No amount of reasoning or logic can convince the owner.Some prefer only vegetarians or people of a particular community.
    I don't think that any rule can be enforced and a house owner cam rent out the house to a
    person of his choice, of course with general interest also in mind.

Unless flats are maintained ,managed and rented out by special agencies who have their own set of regulations, this system will continue to exist not with standing any objection raised.

Jayasala 42

8. anupartha

anupartha Gold IL'ite

Too many factors are involved in this issue. As an owner one may not have much objection in letting out the premises for some specific people, whereas when rest of the community opposes it vehemently I am afraid, he/she has little choice but to abide by the rules of the said community. I agree it's not fair, but have no clue how one can arrive at an optimum!!..I heard the so called service aptments maintained by corporate management, tho a bit exorbitant, cater to the needs of singles..not sure tho..just an hearsay..

9. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Great post Satchi. Especially the message at the end. The Single village is a nice idea. Will neighbours be allowed to visit one another in the village though? There could be consequences. May we could impose a visitors' charge and deposit the money in a common fund and donate money from the fund to the Swachh Bharat project. Alternatively, the money could be used for building a correction centre inside the village.

Incidentally, you need to explain all your acronyms. I don't even know what PDA is. So I googled and discovered it stood either for "Personal Digital Assistant" or
    "
    Parenteral Drug Association" or "Patent Ductus Arteriosus". Which one's yours???

:weary:

oj-da

10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I dont know what Satchi meant but surely not the ones google suggested to you. Perhaps it is Public Display of Affection ? Something our young children dont get to see in movies or tv shows clippings or you tube :innocent:

ojaantrik likes this.