1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One of those days

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by littlelost, Mar 25, 2012.

1. littlelost

littlelost Senior IL'ite

Its one of those days when I am at my lowest. I don't know what I am doing with my life. I am the heaviest weight I have ever been, honestly I dont even know why I am gaining weight like this crazily, it s not like I am eating like a glutton or anything. Eating a packet of chips or a candy bar once a week makes me gain a pound or two a week??? Does depression by itself cause weight gain? Is something wrong with my hormones or is it the food habits? I just don't know and I am so sick of being fat.

I have been thinking of my past and worrying about my future. I guess I am scared, I cant figure out what it is... Scared that I will die alone? Scared that I wont find the love I probably deserve in life? Scared of rejection again? Scared that I will turn into this bitter person no one will want to be with? Scared that I will never feel joy in my heart again, without the fear of it being snatched away? Scared that I wont ever be the same again, that life will never be 'normal' again?

I just don't know. I guess I am still lost in many ways. I used to think its only during PMS that I feel sad and low, but it's not even close to my cycle date and I have been weeping all day. I have tried to distract myself, nothing seems to work. I usually cheer myself up, but no, not today, I even lack the energy to do that.

Just had to vent..

1 person likes this.

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi there,
    If you do live in Boston, your mood could be related to the seasonal changes.

yes, depression can slow down metabolism in some people.

If you have any doubts about how often you feel like this, get your thyroid checked...usually dr.s check for TSH but ask your dr if there could be any relation to free T3and T4 as well. These do cause excessive weight gain in women and are more common than we realize.

Do you sleep well? Poor sleep can also cause weight gain.

Are you taking any medication for depression? In which case there could be weight gain from that.
    It could also be that you have been working so hard on your goals and the results are slower than you anticipated...leading to the downturn in your mood today.

If you feel there maybe more to your weight gain, see a nutritionist, get a personal trainer who can help you monitor your exercise regimen...Having someone else guide you can give that extra boost you need right now.

Have you read Judith Viorst's Alexander and the terrible horrible no good day? It could be a passing phase too...somedays are like that:(

1 person likes this.
  3. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi LL,
    Since you are gaining weight excessively get yourself checked by a doc , it could be a medical problem like thyroid or something else.

4. GMReddy

GMReddy Silver IL'ite

dear op,

yes, human lives are filled with uncertainities and nobody knows when one feels sorrow or when one feels happiness...

even in a single day we are bound to experience extreme fluctuations sometimes...

it happens to me that when i see i am not moving nowhere in life, suddenly the feeling of sadness comes...but i always see that there are so many positives and the one or two negatives are temporary phenomenon...

i feel that if our mind is occupied by not achieving things what we want, then there is feeling of suffocation...

i somehow want to make the mind relax by spending the day with whatever small things i could plan such as paying bills, going to library etc., and continuously looking inward for my happiness than outside...

hope you comeout of this unhappy situation soon...best of luck...

5. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Littlelost,
    I have lost weight after divorse ...gained instantly later.. depression plays major factor.. Now I am slowly trying to reduce my cravings..I am really fed up of having no man in mylife.. when i was with my ex still he was not with me.. We are searching but no good matches.. I have prepared my mind to live alone.. Soon I would plan to go to some other country where I can live alone.. So I dont have any tension of living alone. I decided that "to the extent god has given courage and capacity to live, I live else I have the courage to give up" I am not advicing any one to take such extreme step .. I just told my thought.
    When u prepare to live alone , these thoughts will never come up in mind. I lost interest in life after bearing all this.

6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Few months ago I was also in the same boat. Kept on gaining weight. I had to put three times more efforts to come back to the same size I was before. Probably check yourself with doctor. Might be thyroid and stress itself is one of the major reason. If possible try out some meditation.

I understand your frusturation. I too have this emotional roller-coasters. You can't do anything about it. try to distract yourself, do something to keep you busy. Just assume you will spend your life alone and start making all the preparation for it. Plan your finance, move up in career do whatever necessary to keep you equipped. At least it will give you confidence that whatever happens you can survive.

Hugs dear.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey littlelost, you are only a little lost! Come on pull your self out. A person I know always says this "Commit to a cause greater than yourself". And trust me it is true - think about it, this alone will allow you not to think of your weight, divorce, acceptance, love etc and as you try to focus on the cause it will build confidence, self esteem and will teach you to love your self.

Find a cause or even jump into helping with one you find next as soon as possible. I know many people who take up running or walking (with a group) - these are mostly associated with a cause - fighting a disease by raising money for charity etc. This is a great time to look around for these - literally for it spring and many people are training vigorously! You are in Boston people from all over US work like crazy to qualify for Boston marathon! You should be able to find a group with a cause that touches. Please go find one and join! You don't deserve to feel the way you are feeling!

8. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Hi littlelost,

Go for a medical check-up as soon as possible. There could be many conditions that causes weight gain: pre-diabetics, anaemic, thyroid, uterus/ovaries related problem, hormone related issues.

Possibly, you are anaemic, that also causes lethargy, loosing interest in everything, feeling always tired or hungry. When I went to see my doctor, I was as low as 7 haemoglobin count (to the scale of 13). I believe, haemoglobin count of 6 requires blood transfusion? But, woman just drag their feet and go on with their life,
    blaming the PMS.

Start up a daily pre-defined routine and follow them.

- Do exercise or walk regularly. Put on your fav music and go for 3-4 mile walk daily (it will take ~1 hour,
    even if you walk slowly)
    - Watch, what you are eating, don't skip break-fast/lunch/dinner. Reduce carob-hydrates, eat more fruits/veg.
    - drink plenty of water.
    - Start to listen good/favourite music, it always bring back the good mood.
    - force yourself to meet friends for lunch, dinner at work or outside of work
    - If you like, start into reading variety of new subjects or even watch TV programs
    spiritual learning, motivational books (or audio CDs, or videos)

Think of it as 'me' time to care of yourself.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    This tip from the net worked very well after multiple injuries...very low stress. Since the idea is to reduce calorie intake by 500/day, work out for 250 and eat 250 cals less...it was a manageable number on both fronts, the weight loss was gradual and so it stayed off without much see sawing.

10. Anikha

Anikha Silver IL'ite

Look at those less fortunate people , in some of the third world countries .........who can't afford
    a meal , shelter.....

I know , everything is easier said , than done.... but , that's what I do , when I am feeling low or lonely...

Being lonely, no one to talk to , no one to share with ... it kills , really....

If your loneliness is related to a life partner , try to adopt a pet and give your self time to heal....

Follow what other ILites said regarding your health ...........