1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Minute, Ready To Wear, Pre-pleated Saree?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, Apr 12, 2022.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Awww.... this is priceless! I hope my daughter chooses a saree someday and I get to drape and marvel at her! She is already picking out jewelry from my collection...like I used to do with my mom's jewelry.

Laks09, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  2. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

Wouldn't pre pleated saree reduce the number of options a saree can be worn? Free pallu pleated pallu , right shoulder pallu or the left and how the adjustment work if we add or loose ( how o wish this was the option) weight. I would not prefer all my sarees pre pleated. May be 1 or 2 that I can use it when I need to wear it unplanned.

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys for the suggestions and inputs. Really appreciate it. Many valid points about it being a special event in the girl's life. There's apparently some drama going on in the family. I gather the mother is not happy with a certain choice the girl has made.

Anyway, my job is to have ready a saree and accessories. If it fizzles out, these'll luckily fit my DD too with a nip here and there.. : )

Laks09 and Amica like this.
  4. Rihana

Only the pleats are stitched. The pallu can be worn pleated or free-fall.

It can be worn pallu on left shoulder or Gujrati style on the right shoulder. But either way, the length of the pallu cannot be adjusted, I guess.

For weight change or waist measurement change, I looked at the video closely, the band at the waist has a metal hook but instead of one or two metal eyes, it has 10-12 fabric eyes or "loops" that allow 5-6 inches of waist variation.
    hookeye.png
    I think if the person has at least some idea of how to wear a saree, they will find the pre-stitched pleats an annoyance.

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, sweet of you to agree to help. :)

I hope their family stuff gets resolved soon. And, under the circumstances, the surprise sari may help. Pre-pleated sari is the perfect choice — it will do the job this time and still leave room for the mother to drape her DD's first traditional sari herself.

Thanks for this thread, Rih. I had no idea these one minute saris existed. The next time a local friend wants me to drape her sari, I'll point them to a pre-pleated one.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09, you brought back a memory: 10 yo me was spending the summer at Grandma's because someone in the extended family was getting married. Mom had planned for me to wear a fancy but non-sari outfit. She had packed everything carefully and sent me on my way. Some auntie decided it would be cute if all the little girls wore saris. She very generously dressed my cousins and me in her own saris and jewelry. We attended the wedding feeling miserable but looking cute. Photos were taken and distributed. The mothers viewed the pictures and all hell broke loose — moms felt robbed of that first DD-sari-draping experience. Reminding my mother that I had previously worn saris as a toddler didn't help. Relationships were strained for years. :lol:

I ran into that auntie a few years ago, recalled the wedding and thanked her for dressing me in my first sari. She was horrified that I would bring that incident up. Family feuds are buried but not yet resolved. :)

Ranchu, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rihana is already not too happy with the saree draping assignment and now this!

Years? Wow! I don’t blame your mom though. I understand her annoyance.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OMG! A teenage girl will look gorgeous in a paper bag. Don’t overthink this!

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

LOL. : ) That katha about pallu length and hooks/eyes was in response to curlytweethere's post.

Actually, I have spent quite a bit of time now on saree websites and videos. Initially I felt like an outdated grandma : ) But one nice thing I found was the models are more regular looking. I've noticed this in other websites also like Old Navy, Gap and those kind. The models have freckles, sun damaged skin, and are not all drop-dead gorgeous. And of course, they are careful to include all skin colors.

MalStrom likes this.