1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

One kolam/rangoli per day..everyday :-D :: Will be more than happy if you join!!

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by swaran, May 8, 2012.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hey sabari,
    welcome..i was expecting you :)
    nice to know about your kolam..
    will be expecting the picture :)

2. usharaja

usharaja Gold IL'ite

Hi Swaran
    I am quiet new to this club with no posting of credit done so far. Iam very glad to be a part of this thread.But the sad part is that i do not know how and where to upload the works. I am passionate about making padi kolams and other kolams also. I think i have a decent collection.

Also I have a strong opinion that making kolams not only in the months of margazhi but other days also gives us immense pleasure and self confidence. It is believed that the kolams reflect the mood and ambience of the home in which it is drawn. I make it a point to make the kolams before 5.30 everyday. Also I put
    kavi on every Tues and Fridays.

Hoping to get a guidance from all of you friends.

regarda.

1 person likes this.
  3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Usharaja,
    Welcome!!!!!!
    Very happy to see your post!!!!!!
    Its lovely to know that you are passionate about kolams and you are continuing your contribution
    most important thing is,you draw kolams before 5.30 Bow...wow..thats wonderful..

you can refer the FAQ section of IndusLAdies to know the method to upload and add attachments...
    will be waiting to see your creation usha :)
    padi kolam you can share here
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/rangoli-kolam/141244-kanya-kalyana-padi-kolams-share.html
    general pulli kolam/margazhi kolam,please share here
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/rangoli-kolam/119294-margazhi-kolams-share-yours.html

very true.......
    i too put kavis on tue and fridays :)
    i feel however our mood would be,the bright kolam at the doorstep would change the mind to a pleasant one...that is why i draw kolam before somebody steps out of the house :)
    i try my max to wake up early and draw atleast a small kolam incase someone from my house leaves too early...

4. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

wow nice thread Swaran

Thanks for starting this. It is good to see the encouragement and participation from all

We have always been in Mumbai, hence now feel that kolams may die a slow death as I dont see anyone other than my Mom put the Kolams near God's pictures....

I have never 'learnt' to put a kolam , but guess I can atleast start with basic design on the corner of the 'vaasapadi'. ...all thanks to this thread

I have white tiling outside the house...any tips to make kolam stand out....

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot for the likes suryakala

Dear ssm,
    thanks for your lovely feedback...
    yes feels good to see many people wanting to participate and hope the same from you too :)
    yes you are right,the kolam art is slowly diminishing and i feel very bad to see a lot of blank floor outside the houses...i really feel sad when i see such houses... :-(
    hope we are able to change the pattern or atleast try to prevent such atleast from our neighbourhood..

please try to draw kolams everyday..a simple small one would do...just 10 min of your morning time...
    you ll learn the lovely art very soon..
    would expect your post and kolam everyday in this thread :)

since you have white tiles,i can suggest two things to you
    (1)mix colour powder in your kolam powder and draw..the contrast colour would look lovely and everyday it would give a lovely colourful look..incase you know wetflour kolam,in this you can add turmeric or kumkum to change the colour..this would not stain your floors
    (2)if possible,you can place a nice even black stone(marble/granite) in front of your house and draw kolams on top...
    waiting to see your creations :)

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Another important information about drawing kolam,that i have known since my younger age and that i try to follow:::

It is said that kolam(wash/clean the floor) should be made before anybody leaves the house...

Reason::
    Incase a death happens in the house,and after the body is taken to the burial ground,that is the only time we wash the house(inside/outside everywhere) after all people(men mainly) leave the house(to the burial ground)

So when do we generally wash the outside of our house???.....As all of you know,Kolam is usually drawn after washing/cleaning the floor with water/cowdung...

So it is because of this reason,it is told that wetting the floor/ground(outside the house mainly) early in the morning needs to be done before anyone leaves the house..washing the floor after anyone leaves the house is considered as a bad sign...

PS::All ladies/gents in the family take head bath as soon as deadbody is taken from the house to the burial ground....so ,when somebody from our house needs to travel on a particular day,headbath(oil bath) needs to be avoided by the members of the family, after the person leaves for his journey...head bath can be taken before the person leaves for journey but avoided after he leaves the house..

but nowadays not many follow this due to the fast moving life...

i try my maximum to follow both the above...
    Anybody from my house leaves before i wakeup and i know that before,i try my best to wake up soon(howmuch ever early it maybe) and atleast wet the outside floor,even if i dont put/complete the kolam at that time before they leave...

1 person likes this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

As today is friday,i drew my favourite padi kolam :)
    will share the picture soon:)

how about you all? :)

8. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

Today I copied the inner part of swaran's latest padi kolam..
    But I forgot to take a pic and came to office..:hide:

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hey sabari...
    glad to see your post :)
    oho,thats sad..ok fine leave it...incase if it dint get washed away by wind or dust,try to take a picture in the evening and post ;-)

10. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

yeah, i thought.. but let's see.. :)