1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

One kolam/rangoli per day..everyday :-D :: Will be more than happy if you join!!

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by swaran, May 8, 2012.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All, :hiya

Rangoli/Kolam,a beautiful tradition of India..even when foreigners hear the word INDIA,most of them would call rangoli as part of it...but the very sad part is,nowadays i feel the this tradition is slowly fading due to many reasons like living abroad,living in flats,not having time to draw due to too much work etc etc...i know they are genuine...

But this is seriously creating trouble...many(i dont mean all) youngsters(mainly) since they are brought up in this environment,dont get the interest/make it a point to draw kolams daily...their mothers/aunties/ladies everybody around them is busy running behind the hectic life that they dont find time to learn one ..neither do they get the push from the elders(PS::i am not blaming them)....the same in my case as well,my mom never pushed me to draw one before my marraige...

The worst case is we dont even get much kolam books as we used to 10 years back..:bonk...i was shocked when i went around searching for a kolam book,it was so hard..even if i get one,it was not clear(i am sure many of you would have faced this..get kolam book but patterns,dots are not clear)....previously all at home would have a big kolam book and it would have loads of patterns and others(neighbours/relatives) share among themselves..few ladies used to get interest from that(even if they dont have on their own)..the tradition continued...when i was searching for kolam patterns,i have asked in so many houses for kolam books(in my neighbourhood) but i failed to get..it is only then i started my search on net and got patterns...

but then i also understood that there are set of people who are interested to draw but since they dont get the pattern,they dont feel like making one :hide

i am not sure if this how important is it to draw kolam/rangoli in north india(i am sorry,i personally have no idea,i might be wrong too)everyday ,but its very essential in south india atleast..(i am sorry,i dint mean to offend any culture,hope you guys understand)....but what i wanted to say is,nowadays its like even in south india only 50%(or less) of the houses have rangoli drawn in front of their doorstep...why is this...??..i feel so bad,seriously!!!!

Some good/interesting facts about kolam from the net

There is a belief that creating kolam in front of the house brings prosperity and it is a welcome note to the wealth Goddess Lakshmi. They use the kolam powder, which is made of using nicely grounded the rice grinded nicely. During the ordinary days, the kolam is not given colour, even then it looks amazing. It shows how perfectly it is designed.

By the kolam drawn in front of a house you can also know the unity of the people of that house. If one big kolam to be created all the ladies in the house must be united. There are also some important medicinal values there in making the kolam. During making the kolam one has bend forward which gives strength to their hip and thighs. You have to concentrate while making the kolams. So the concentration level increases. Have to get up early in the morning, during the morning the pollution level is also low. Will get non-polluted oxygen to breath.

Wow ,how many good things:thumbsup

I feel nowadays more than kolam books,people refer the website for getting patterns and many of them are sharing...thats a really good sign..thanks to all those ladies...
    but how many of us are really drawing it on floor instead of only copying it on your harddisk or paper???...

i personally feel we can bring a change here with Indusladies....:thumbsup

lets take a VOW that from today onwards,we ll try to make a kolam in our house/doorstep...(i am not taking about the kolam drawn in front of god..i am sure all of us are doing here)...

Kolam/Rangoli......small/big...looks nice(neat) or not....with/without colours...you can/cannot draw properly...have/dont have experience...living abroad/in india...flats/individual house...have space/less space in your house..have time/no time to draw a kolam...nothing should stop you from drawing a small kolam/rangoli everyday...it wouldnt take a lot of time to draw a small star...even if its a simple poo kolam(flower decoration on floor/water) that you have done on your doorstep would be great ,please share it ..

lets make a plan and try to draw atleast one small kolam/rangoli at your doorstep...my northindian friends,even incase you dont have the practise to draw rangoli/kolam everyday,please do join the team...i would love to see you all here :)...

Few things to note.......

(1)you need not draw a big kolam everyday,even a simple star/box pattern would do
    (2)if possible please post a picture..even if you combine a set of kolams that you drew the previous week and post here,that is very much fine....this is not a must but by this way we can help each other and share patterns
    (3)Please come and make a post in this thread everyday saying that you drew a rangoli at your doorstep today..that would encourage all..:thumbsup
    (4)even if you repeat the patterns,it doesnot matter,please dont feel shy to post here..it is only the effort that matters and not the pattern :)
    (5)even if you cant draw on a particular day,ask someone(even your kid) in your house to draw
    (6)In case you have some interesting/unknown facts/any information about kolams or kolams that needs to be drawn on a specific day,its significance,basically any information about kolam/rangoli,please do share
    (7)If you already know to draw kolams and also have a great interest towards it and you too feel that this art is slowly fading,tell us what all you are doing to keep this art alive...your part....:bowdown

Please spare atleast 10 minutes of your time everyday for this wonderful art...

Lets start ladies ...

Thanks to all the ladies in Advance who would be sharing your work,encouraging all of us here and be a part of this wonderful attempt!!!! Bow Bow

20 people like this.

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Re: One kolam per day..everyday::Can you join the team??!!!!

Let me start.....
    I never had the interest to draw kolams till i got married...neither did anyone from my mother's side push me to make one...after i got married,i saw my mil making good beautiful kolams ,yet i dint get any interest...it so continued and i tried to make rangolis only for the month of margazhi...after that i became pregnant and since i was in bangalore,i never attempted to draw a kolam till i my DD was 1.3 years old(fearing the cold)...
    After that slowly i wanted to share my MIL's work and so i thought of taking this kolam work for which she had to spend 15 min everyday...initially i dint have enough patterns..then searched in the shops,neighbourhood and atleast found few patterns in the net and started to draw on a daily basis...initially i used to draw so horribly(i myself knew) but dint stop..i kept drawing and slowly picked up....
    another pattern of kolam called PADI KOLAM which was prevalent mostly in tamilnadu...since last August i am collecting and making padi kolam on special occassions and on every friday...i make it a point that there is kolam drawn at my doorstep even on weekends...
    previously i used to take a break on weekends(since i need to wake up early) and my mil would make kolams..few weekends my mil would make but few days not since she would be busy...but nowadays i see to that even if i wake up at 8.30AM,and i dont see a kolam at the doorstep,i make it a point to draw one...
    You can see my kolams in these links...
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/rangoli-kolam/141244-kanya-kalyana-padi-kolams-share.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/rangoli-kolam/119294-margazhi-kolams-share-yours.html

What i plan to learn next in kolam::

I am a little hesitant to draw rangolis(freehand ones),the intricate designed ones...this i am planning to learn slowly in future(very soon) :)

What i do to advt/spread this art

(1)I publish it in IL/public forum...i am always getting lovely feedbacks for the same and i am really thankful to all the ladies here in IL who have constantly enouraged me,otherwise i wouldnt have learned this much ..i still have a long way to go... :)
    (2)what i have seen is,ever since i started to draw padi kolams regularly on fridays/special occassions whoever comes to my house,see the kolam and ask me for the patterns and obviuously thats one way i spread it
    (3) i send the kolams that i draw to my close friends/realtives...not to boast but to help them with my collections...
    (4)when i find time,i make even my DD(who is just 2.5 years old) draw whatever patterns she likes..though she cant draw properly,i give a bowl of kolam/rangoli powder and she loves to make some patterns...i encourage her and she gets super excited..she puts a handful of powder on floor and makes patterns with her tiny fingers :cheers.when we both try to draw something,she sometimes asks me to draw a kolam on paper...i feel so happy to see her interest...

Loads and Loads of feedback is wht i have recieved till now when i did the above three....rcently even for a grand function that was organised in my family,my relative gave me an oppurtunity to draw a kolam at the entrance of the hall,i was dumbstruck to know that he choose me among so many ladies and did my best...
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/rangoli-kolam/156143-kolams-drawn-during-maharudram.html
    i took many printouts and choose one..many ladies who had come took photocopies of the kolams..i was very happy not only because i got/get loads of appreciation but it gives me a self satisfaction that i am doing something to spread this beautiful art

I ll continue to do so in future as well..will think of better things that i can do to spread this ART :)

3 people like this.
  3. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swaran,

First of all, thank you so much for starting this thread.. :)

We would love to share the kolams. I'm in. :) I'll post the pictures here daily. :)

Will come back again with a detailed reply tomorrow. :)

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot pinky for your first likes Bow

thanks sabari for your likes and first feedback...
    yes do share...
    so happy to know that you would be contributing..
    thanks Bow
    will be expecting :)

5. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Re: One kolam per day..everyday :)::Can you please join the team??!

Hi,
    I am in, as I am very much interested in kolam and just wait for margazhi to draw big kolams. unfortunately now I don't have big space before my flat to draw, so sticking only to small kolams. My mom loves to do kolam with lines(called sikku kolam). I am interested in poo kolam as well as line ones. Me and my mom make sure that anyone of us draw kolam. I think this thread will motivate me and my mom not to miss any day. Thanks for starting this thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kadalpura,
    Its so sweet to know you love and be a part of this wonderful art..Bow
    yes we all would encourage ourselves and others to make kolam/rangoli...

would expect your post everyday :)

7. jhansidevikanna

jhansidevikanna Junior IL'ite

Hi swaran,

This sounds very interesting & encouraging too, even i am from the one who like kolam which is particularly drawn out of rice flour.

i draw kolam but not that expert in this.

Regards
    JDK

8. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

hi swaran...!

what a timing to start this post, when actually very recently even I started drawing rangolis in front of my home.....i dont do any of those complicated ones, but usually like the rangolis which use dots....freehand is not my forte as of now....

and my DD has recently joined my mom to put some rangolis...same like you, even I don't discourage her even if the pattern doesn't make sense....i like to encourage the fact that she is very interested in this at this age, when I am sure I never showed interest in rangolis as a child!!!

unfortunately, my DH has my camera, and for a while I will not be able to take snaps......but atleast I can continue to draw, and once I am in a position to post the pics, will do so here!!!

Thanks for starting this post especially for people who are as lazy as me (;-) ) to wake up to do this in the morning...!! hehehehe...and I think that I read some more informative stuff about putting rangolis in front of house early in the morning that it has even health benefits, as we can do in the early morning.....am sure I read in IL forum only....

and very recently, I was searching for designs of rangolis, and came across this one...as I am currently in an apartment and even our neighbor shares the space in front of our house, the situation is such that only small ones can be made...

Here's the link, and I don't remember if I found this from IL or through some google search..and am also not sure if the person who is maintaining this is a part of this forum...if so, I think its a brilliant attempt! It seems to have patterns for all occasions....I was specifically searching for apartment rangolis and found this one...

Take a look, it may add to your collection, in case you don't have it already....

Once I can take pics, will be sure to post it here!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

and oh, I forgot to mention that I had a quick look at your rangolis !! especially the padi kolams....seeing those , it really doesn't seem as though you were not interested in rangolis earlier ! you are doing it so well...especially your first big kolam on Maha Rudram...I have never till now done those kind of rangolis at all...! Just wanted to share my appreciation, before I forget !!! :)

10. bhuvisrini

bhuvisrini Gold IL'ite

Dear Swarn
    Good move. I will participate in this thread regularly. I am fond of drawing kolams/Rangoli. We give much importance in our house(both mom home and inlaw home). Everyone in our family love to draw kolam, I have started it at the age of 9. o ur family is joint family with nearly 8 girl children. So we fight to draw big kolams on festival periods. though we have big space we fight for the middle space that is our entrance of house. That's all a sweet memories to remember. I do color kolams well I am glad there are few fans for my marghazi kolam in our street. Even today our neightbourhood auties of my mom's place remember my kolams on special days like diwali, pongal, marghazi (full month 30 days 30 different kolams). My mom called me and proud of me on those occasions. My mom is super in drawing kolams and art work. All my sisters(3) are well in drawing and coloring kolams. My inspiration towards drawing is my elder sister(Kamakshi) who do rehearsal on our terrace before she draw in front of house. She planned her kolam, coloring and pattern well. She is good in sewing and embroidery work. Thank you Swarn for sharing your thoughts here and made me to recollect my golden days with our special lndus Ladies. Please keep posting and I am sure I will in touch with this thread from today.

With Dots and Lines
    BhuviSrini