1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One day off from...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Oct 29, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Srini,
    Just opening my laptop after 4 days. Down with fever, though ok but not yet recovered fully. I saw your thread today only, and here goes my response. Oh I had always wanted some one in the house to be with me as I have to spend 3 full years after marriage all alone with me and me alone after hubby went off to work. I just didnot have the patience to wait for 10 full months to deliver my daughter and when she went to school Oh she did not cry but I cried a lot as I had to be alone again. After 4 years I conceived again and now I dread the thought to be all alone in my house from next June as it is time to put him in school.

I clearly understood my mom's feeling when I first sent my daughter to school. But she have learnt to keep herself thoroughly engaged and use the time she is alone all to herself. I am really taking my mom as a role model in this particular aspect of life.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rajmi,
    How are you now?
    It seems from your response, that you are a kind of a person who wants to be around people, just like my mil.
    As I am the only child at home, loneliness is not new to me and more over i am also a 'reserved' person, till now!
    Our moms are always a role model to us in a way or the other.
    But that silence stuck me because I was used to 'screaming,calling, yelling and also playing with the kids, which was absent on those days!
    Maybe i am used to that 'kalakalappu' after the children were born.
    By the way, my husband is also a 'reserved' person from whom you had to wait ' a year long to get the answer'!:-o

sriniketan

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Yes Sriniketan,
    I want lots of people around me and I tend to make friends so easily, which is good at times and bad at times. I choose my career also to be that way; Me and my brother though in different cities, though fight a lot even now (both of us are married) cant spend a day without chatting with each other; say atleast we should be telling hai/hello and bye at the end of the day.

As I am the only parent who allows kids to play inside the house in my kids's room all the kids in the flat assemble in our house without fail right at 8 am in the morning to play. Though my husband is not reserved, he doesnt have much time to socialize and so all his friends turn to me for anything to be told or asked. I became the mediator between his friends and him. So my mobile is always ringing with calls from my friends and our friends and even family.

My mom got married at the age of 19. And my grandfather who was 75 years at that time was at home when my father goes to work and after we both were born he helped my mom in taking care of us. But after he passed away, she had felt very hard to be alone after we went to school and dad went to office. But gradually she learnt to keep herself busy and when we ask her now she says if someone could give her some extra hours it will be helpful for her.:eek:mg::idontgetit:

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Sri,

How very true that we can't be mentally off for too long...maybe its the indian culture and the joint family system that we have. Also maybe thats why the indians are the most secured lot in the world.

For us taking a break or a day off does not mean to physically be away & feel the mental vaccum...but i and my husband do spend the day together at home but each on his own. We laze around do things on the spur of the moment...do not bother what to cook or what not to cook...we are also fine with just some curd-rice & pickle:crazy isin't we being gujjus and can do with curd rice for lunch. On this day we give our stomach also a holiday...we just do what we feel like, eat, sleep, read, watch tv, talk.

No one bothers the other and still we are together.

Try it you will enjoy and maybe even the kids will enjopy this freedom. Like veda said shan gets a break and we do the cooking/cleaning. But for one day just forget everything.

Roopa.

5. Sriniketan

Hi Rajmi,
    People of yesteryears are very capable of dealing with the problems and overcome it.
    I think we are also a little bit ok, but thinking of the future generation----they don't have the patience to think about that and solve but always say--why me --for each and every problem they face.
    We had to learn a lot from our elder generation.
    Kids start playing from 8 am, then your house will be like 'galagala' all day,

sriniketan

6. Sriniketan

Hi Roopa,
    Thanks for the FB.
    That is a very good idea which as you said must follow atleast once a month, which will take that feeling out. Holiday for the stomach= that's what bothers me:redface: Just kidding!
    It is true that our family system makes us think and feel like that.
    Yesterday only i was talking to my daughter about the Gujju tradition and also told her what they will do on those days. They must be happy because for a day without food is a thing they long for so that they can enjoy all the junk food in the world!:)

sriniketan

7. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Yeh Sri,

But the funniest part is if we are asked to fast then that day becomes hell...:eek:mg:u feel hungry more often.

But this way...that day even my maid lazes around...she is like i don't know how to kill time & i tell her then go to sleep.

My niece who lives with us also does her things.

In gujju house you will normally find khakhra & sev murmura. Also i keep sweet date & imli chuney in the freezer. So if we don't feel like making rice ...then we have khkhara with curds & pickles & with sev murmura & chutney add onions & tomatoes and make bhel.

Or if there is bread then grate cheese & onions add salt & black pepper powder and make sandwiches. with juice.

But make sure no agenda on that day just take things as it comes. Not even a timely bath...we don't have seva-puja so god also takes rest on that day. Whoever has the bath first lights the diya & agarbatti. Bhagwan bhi naraz nahi hote...woh bhi kehte hain bachoon kabhi kabhi aaram bhi kar liya karo.

Roopa.

8. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hello everybody...........
    Now I am enjoying :confused2: 5 days off from my household chores........and all.
    My hubby is out for a conference for this whole week and he left home sunday morning and after then, its hell at home sitting and doing nothing.......not that my hubby only eats and I starve but in his absence, I am not feeling like cooking anything.....in fact nobody will ever like to experiment in absence of a sweet hubby.....
    So, basically doing nothing except coming to my office in the day......and in the evening, just watching movies and movies and more movies.............and eating only frozen foods.........AND THIS MORNING MY HEAD IS POUNDING AND ME FEELING SLEEPY EVEN WHILE IN LAB........AND COUNTING ON THE DAYS WHEN MY DEAREST HUBBY WILL BE BACK AND I WILL BE BACK TO MY DUTIES OF DOING THINGS THAT MAY IRRITATE HIM BUT I MISS HIM AND MY DUTIES.................
    Regards to all...........

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Oh yeah the house is galagala. But that is only on Saturday. Sunday the kids dont dare come inside for the fear of Uncle will say something. But he is the person who plays with the kids and I keep shouting dont make noise, dont jump dont pull. But they take all liberty from me I think they are used to me and not to my husband.

Yeah the kids dont have much of patience. Today I took some Mathappoos, Flowerpots and Tharai Chakkarams, and the kids flocked me like anything and in no time we finished the whole stuff. Waiting to enjoy even more on this Diwali. Will tell you all what we did in our apartments after Diwali gets over.

10. Sriniketan

It is true, Rajmi, that the kids take advantage of us. but we like it that way too, isn't it?
    waiting for your post after Deepavali and its Galatta in your house!

sriniketan