1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Once Upon A Bath Rug

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Rihana, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Share tips and ideas and great-finds to do with bath rugs.

What are the must-have features, nice to behold features and "if only" wish-list features.

Amica likes this.

2. Rihana

I was quite an ignoramus until recently and never looked at the material until barefooted family members started to complain. There is polyester, nylon and some more poly-in-between's. I run far from the cotton ones. Not just because I balk at paying $$ for Made in India bath rugs, but because their anti-skid feature is absent or flimsy.

Never got the permission to use a toilet lid cover (the rug thingie that covers the toilet lid) and the contour rugs also were overruled. I have to form a solo-worker-union and submit my decor demands, given that I am the one to clean the bathroom most often.

The bathroom doors conspire with the family to present bath rug challenges to me. The clearance at the bottom is mostly too narrow for most bath rugs that go on sale. Once a handy man working on something else showed me how easy it is to take a door of its hinges and saw off 1/8 or 1/6 of an inch at the bottom. I swear my delight at the end result was more pronounced than that of the baker who first sliced bread. I swung the door back and forth so many times to savor the door moving without displacing the bath rug. Alas.. I didn't quickly get some more doors sawed! Such a good idea is like a pair of jeans that fit so well... and you never find them in the store again.

The anti-skid feature is a must-have for me. Which rules out the glamorous and striking ones. It also has to be the kind that is machine washable and dries within 2-3 hours in the sun. And should be easy to shake and dust off the hair and particles. If you see a woman with the 20% coupon at Bed, Bath &B, in the bath rug aisle, discreetly trying out the bath rugs.. c'est moi. : ) Do they allow using two coupons in one visit?

My treasured find was a circular bath rug, ivory color, plush enough, and very good anti-skid. One of those websites that don't always sell what they sold. A set of 3 it was.

Amica, MalStrom and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana You go deep into the pile, don't you?
    We have them in the kitchen, to catch any jumping mustard seed that get off the oil during tadka. A large one on the floor in front of the cooking range, and small ones in front of the fridge and sink. They are all hung on clothesline, and beaten with a kendo stick, once a week. They are also feet washed (laundry soap in the shower floor, and do a chubby checker on them when wet with soap. Good exercise also.

Machine washing some of the kitchen rugs puts out a lot of lint. Huge ones too. They go and plug the washing machine drain. They are best "hand" washed, using the bathroom floor and our own feet. Easy to do toe-nail shaping after one of these rug washing sessions.

No rugs in our bathroom. We offer slippers to anyone who comes to visit. And these are machine washed, and dry in a jiffy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. jyotsna123

jyotsna123 New IL'ite

I wash mine in the machine. I bought mine from the US

Rihana likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I must be in the minority. Except for the hand towels, bath towels and shower curtain the bathroom is a strictly textile-free zone. Everyone dries off in the tub before stepping out.
    I did see this kitchen mat at some friends' houses recently and am tempted to buy it.
    WellnessMats® Trellis Motif Anti | Fatigue Mat | Frontgate

Rihana and Nonya like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

That mat looks nice. They do make a difference if you are planning to stand a lot in the kitchen. Once upon a time, I owned a mat that had bubbles of some fluid (polyethylene glycol, I think) in it. Standing on it, and shifting now and then, tended to massage underfoot. I think it was often used in shops and customer service locations where the employee has to stand a lot. Wearing a good arch-supported cushiony hawaii sandals is like standing on one of those, except that the floor mat is attached to one's own foot.
    In my house the shower and tub room (the actual bathing room) is different from where the toilet is. The smaller toilet rooms have their own hand-wash sinks, soap and towel stands.

Rihana and MalStrom like this.
  7. dia3

dia3 Silver IL'ite

Anti skid--is a must for me in bath rugs...i m not a morning person n hurrying up in the morning can lead to disasters without anti skid bath rug....n i hate to see water droplets on hardwood floors if there were no bath rugs..Anti skid bath rugs r life savers

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

Yes, I guess. Somehow the question sounds like I am being asked if I have all my marbles or lost a few.
    I also happen to have one memory foam bath mat in the kitchen. Couldn't find a regular memory foam one for that size. Hung on the clothesline and beaten? Do your neighbors also clean this way or do they go look for safer spots when you thus start to clean?

Hmmm... you live in a land where the bathroom floor has a drain?

I would like that actually. No rugs in the bathroom. In fact, even after so many years, I still think of bathroom rugs as 'not clean'. Meaning, a freshly washed one might be 'clean' but by the nature of their use, they are not clean 'clean'. Were I the religious kind, would banish them from the household.

Nonya likes this.
  9. Rihana

No shower curtains for me. More because not all who use the bathroom will be as careful with it.

No bath rugs is indeed a minority. Even after drying off, some foot prints from moist feet?
    Tempted? So kitchen is also a rug/mat free zone? The anti-fatigue mats do work. I have only two, but drag them to wherever I am standing for long. In particular, if I am chopping vegetables or marinating meat.

10. Rihana

Yes, droplets on the floor can be more annoying than hair on the floor.