On The Ning Nang Nong

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Iravati, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Listmuse

Back to the Ning series of discoveries and curiosities.

It is nerve-wracking to find wholesome compilations. When I chanced on The 100 Best Science Books of All Time, I was elated.

I started to count the books read, then gave up partway with the low count and shifted to books known to me. The count looked much better. In the coming weeks, I am planning to scan or skin or simply shuffle books listed in that listmuse.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@okonomi

Hey, Okono!
    I too echo
    Hope's sentimento
    Do post a photo
    Or a memo
    About your travel divertimento

(like below)

upload_2018-6-16_11-58-57.png

3. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Hollering at Peep and chirp of this thread !!
    Ira - buddy what curiosities are you up to ?
    Watched all of Dark , oh man!! A week to process it , a week to get over being pissed that it has only 1 season .
    Can we please discuss - Michael goes back in time and has his pictures plastered all over , why doesn’t ulrich and family recognize :fearscream:

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Agent Chirp reporting to Agent Hope! Or am I Peep?! Finders are keepers. I found your post first, so I get to keep the honorary moniker Chirp.

Ab main kya boloon. Get ready with beeswax before you ready up to hear my drone.

The thing is, I had this ribollita soup at two different places and was very impressed with the second variation and tried at home this week. Phussh! It tanked like a dead sardine. Shush ..don't ask if dead sardines float or sink. The soup I made was short of making me ill. It tasted so bad! Now I am to try it again, later, after mustering some hope and watching few more videos. Here, this video and that lolling guy have given me new hope. I will try again later.

Else, life is as usual cavorting, rollicking, awesome and amazing and stupendous ..it is just that adjectives fall short of my trippy state.

Agent Hoppity, now you are talking! Mwah mwah ...that is me kissing your remote or roku player through which you watched the series. Finally, someone watched "Dark". Mwah mwah few more kisses to the paranormal geek in you. I have aged considerably waiting for someone to watch the series to discuss.

First, even before Mike's pictures are plastered. Why are these people who traveled in time so bewildered? They ask every wayward creature on the road: what is today's date? Why is it challenging for them to accept that they must have traveled in time even with blinding evidence of the retro landscape. No, they cannot believe the truck man, the physician, the psychiatrist, the foster host, everyone they ask: what is today's day. Jeez!

Next the pictures, my guess is as good as yours. How could they not have the childhood pictures of the adult Mike? Couldn't anyone recall the resemblance? That was lame.

Back to the first, I am perplexed. Even if I didn't willingly travel in time and saw something with a tail and horn, I would wrest a confession out of the poor strayed creature that it was a Triceratops from the Cretaceous period even if he thinks of himself a lost rhinoceros. It better be!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Bringing up baby

upload_2018-7-14_16-36-59.png

This yesteryear screwball comedy depicts the confusion and turmoil of a couple trying to foster/bring up baby, here a pet leopard from Brazil. Last year, I was talking to a friend on the the real notion of bringing up baby, this time, a human baby. How to raise a child? Ha! Scores of tips and manuals and friendly guidance on the online forums on bringing up every kind of baby. But, we had to probe a very selective upbringing: how to bring up a baby very different from one's own childhood not out of relocation or status but out of shifting ethos for a more cosmopolitan atmosphere.

How to raise a kid who can rise above the parent's inhibited growth? For an introvert, it is how to bring up the extrovert in the child, for an anxiety-prone adult, how to bring up a self-possessed faculty in the child, for a chaste, how to bring up a free-spirited agency in the child, for the restricted eater, how to bring up a wanton connoisseur in the child ...so forth.

Since then I have come across parents who have expressed the very desire for their kids to be more "cosmopolitan" in their tastes. You see, the keyword in scary quotes is cosmopolitan who exudes sophistication (which is often mistaken for pretension) and critical thinking and not to be misconstrued as a kid scurrying away to swimming and golf and skating of the nouveau riche.

A kid who can distinguish the film making of Miyazaki from Stassen. A kid who can delight in Dark Horse Comics and Julia Donaldson's picture books. A kid who can be discerning in both JG Farrell's Siege of Krishnapur and G. V. Desani's All About H. Hatterr. How to bring up such a kid?

Again, have no idea as I am also one of the feral creatures, undistinguished from the inquiring parent, who grew up as a street waif more than a sophisticated ward. But time and again this inquiry foregrounds in my circle of passionate friends who have the means and wealth now to secure an enriched upbringing in the child but clueless on where to anchor their aspirations on ...what are the resources ..how to find them ...how to embark on this contentious model of bringing up a child very different to how our weary parents have brought us up.

I am intrigued. To the majority, it is bringing up a child for today's modern and secular practices to yesteryear's vintage and devout sacrament. To others, it is bringing up a child who is grittier and formidable than themselves to face the knockdowns of life with humor and spirit.

Whilst such ambition predominates in parents who have been exposed to cross-cultural assimilation abroad from their peers at college or workplace, such as, they learnt their rhymes and sciences differently in Poland, oh they read different books in Scandinavia, they watched striking channels in Romania, hence as adults they tend to shine better and think wide, yet, the essence of the well-intended inquiry from a chitrahaar and rangoli generation of immigrant parents and their goofy friends like me remains the same — how to bring up a child with better enabling interests and resources now that we can afford a better childhood for them from our own flinty beginnings.

I don't know. But, I am sure one of these days, one of my zealous friends will crack it and send out a whatsapp forward: ok, this is how we resolve the ordeal of Richard Feverel and devise the infallible "system" of bringing up a "cosmopolitan" baby.

upload_2018-7-14_16-43-2.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Chandra Brambra Chandra Chandra Bendram

I was just writing in a nearby thread about spunk and blaze and dale rumba suelta in songs. My friends with whom I share my crazy tootish songs are always startled at my meager yet arrant taste for music. No melody! No tone! Some hyena singing and you say you like this song. In my recent finds, I love this song! And that is not a hyena, but ...

Vitaliy Vladasovich Grachov , known professionally as Vitas , is a Russian singer. He is known for his unique head voice and for possessing a five-octave vocal range, which enables him to perform his trademark "turkey call" like in his song "The 7th Element".

English translation:

I've come to give this song
    Chandra Brambra Chandra Chandra Bendram...

From the world of dreams
    From crystal tears

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

This is me

Since last week I have been humming and tapping to "this is me", not the original and marching "this is me" but the tempo-ridden and tempestuous remix of "this is me".

What has changed? I chopped my hair. This is me trying to lose forever the sticky three kilos by losing few grams of unruly hair. The music is catchy and kicking - my type of hooves and synth and drums.

upload_2018-7-14_20-46-33.png

I am not a stranger to the dark
    Hide away, they say
    'Cause we don't want your broken parts
    I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
    Run away, they say
    No one'll love you as you are
    But I won't let them break me down to dust
    I know that there's a place for us
    For we are glorious
    When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
    I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
    Look out 'cause here I come
    And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apologies, this is me

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

A couch called Brunnhilde

Last night I was watching The Adventures of Captain Underpants (television adaptation of a children's novel).

upload_2018-7-16_10-1-23.png

In a scene: "This couch is called Brunnhilde".

If were a kid, I would have overlooked that gesture. Brunnhilde! But as a lazy adult revising children's stories, I recalled Brunnhilde from Wagner's Ring in which Alberich forges a golden ring, later stolen by Wotan to pay for Fasolt and Fafner, who built a castle for Wotan, slayed by Siegfried (lover of Brunnhilde) on Wotan's insistence to claim the ring back.

Why did the writer name a couch Brunnhilde? Are there other furniture in the room named after Alberich and Wotan?

I am told that comics and children's books should be read twice in life, as a child and as a grown-up because there would be puns and playful references that grown-ups might spot this time which they missed as children.

I certainly would not have have known Brunnhilde when I larked around in two pigtails.

Few years ago, I watched Hellboy.
    In a scene:

Again, to a child, 'things that go bump in the night' are only ugly adversaries of hellboy but much later I found about the origin in a Scottish prayer:

From ghoulies and ghosties
    And long-leggedy beasties
    And things that go bump in the night,
    Good Lord, deliver us!

Cmon, seriously? Why doesn't a trivia box pop up with such interesting information during the narrative in films?
    I wonder what other Brunnhilde and Bumpy things I overlooked in my childhood. Ha! I must read again all these comics through a grown-up’s eyes and mind.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Which only those who have experienced utter hell show

The earlier hellish post reminded of another hell, a dialogue of Keith Floyd from his "Floyd on France" series.

Dialogue: Colmar, despite being invaded three times since the Franco-Prussian war is resilient and its citizens exude genuine joie de vivre which only those who have experienced utter hell show.

I am often teased as the eternal optimist in my knitted group. What am I to do? I always run into eventful cross-roads from which I emerge quite touched and inspired by people who have reshaped me in ways beyond my goofy capability. We are destined to meet and part! Nevertheless the shared time elevates me into a happier and mindful creature of the transitory afflictions, even after the parting. Now, back to this 'utter hell show' turning into 'joie de vivre'.

Not all people who experienced hell emerge with joie de vivre. But what about others? Couple of years ago, I had a discussion with a friend around this topic. It is not that a hellish experience naturally progresses into joie de vivre but it offers the potential to attain that JdeV. A hint, a rung, a window, and those who see through that disguised opportunity rise above the hell and accomplish that higher joie de vivre. They are much happier later for having experienced the hell. In fact, they are happier than before. The intermediary hell has inflated their previous happiness. That is what Keith was referring to: 'exude genuine joie de vivre which only those who have experienced utter hell show'.

Back to why others fail to grasp the potential of a setback or hell and are stuck in the unshakable and painful rut. Probably they don't believe in the ingenuity of human spirit to set forth unscathed from the damnation. And that fire walk, thereafter, leads into a happier and sustained joie de vivre. Believe in it.

upload_2018-7-16_12-27-46.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

International authors

Few years ago I was interacting with this dude who was into poetry and sketches and literary blogs and other slinky things. He revealed his strategic passion to invest in ethnic writers, take up an unknown ethnic writer a month whose works have been translated into English. Read a book. As I was not pad-wad reading types back then, I grinned. Later, another guy enthused on international authors. Mujhe lagan ...these upturned noses won't talk to me anymore if I don't pretend to read up some unpronounceable international names like Knausgaard to impress them. Again, I lapsed. Much later, on my own I explored yeh ethnic/international authors kaun hai.

Across the years when I slightly reformed myself into pad-wad (read/write) kinds, I took up

Orhan Pamuk (Turkey)
    Sadegh Hedayat (Iran)
    Naguib Mahfouz (Egypt)

...when I say take up, I don't mean pore over their oeuvre but dabble in their shortest novel and short stories. Then, I gave up on ethnic writers and returned to my very ubiquitous and predictable writers.

Yesterday, I perked up again and downloaded "Judas" by Amos Oz (Israel).

When friends ask me who are these men who drive you up the reading wall? What am I to say? Mere ko aise khadoos men hi milthe hai! A slovenly woman can no longer find a reasonable man content reading downhome pustak mahal series. These heady men are finicky about the reading tastes of the women. Next time I shall tell a man that the only books this foul-mouthed hick has read are Panchatantra and Jataka tales. Go figure out! Dumff!