1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Cheeniya's Legs -- The Long and the Short of the Matter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear OJ
    This is called creating good humour from scratch!

...I am one of them...ardent one too! Your post has put me in a dilemma, to sit back and enjoy the humor or attempt to justify our dearest Sir Cheeniya !
    Mega

3 people like this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I think it is better to sit back and enjoy instead of supporting any one of them because they admire each other so much and they both would unite together and blame us saying we misunderstood them!

3 people like this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Satchi dearest,
    In recent days I have developed this vice of trespassing others area, hope OJi will excuse me,,if not for my sake atleast for your!
    I had to ask you this,
    ...where? I am thinking of a thousand possible areas, first being the restroom! Pray clarify, before my imaginations add color!
    Mega

3 people like this.
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

how come I missed out an all this fun and a totally 'feel good 'thread. Anyway, better late than never :)))

Dear OJ da,

Of course, you have underestimated the sense of humour of ALL your and cheeniya sir's FANS.
    (OKAY, after all these years do I still have to shout from the rooftops that I am an ardent fan of both. No, I do not mind doing that if you think action speaks better than words.)

The fans were all just being busy during the weekend...for you see, that is the time they devote for their family. Rest of the days they are having fun in their own private world 'IL' pulling someones legs or getting their's pulled even longer.

so rest assured that we totally enjoyed the post. and May I , Oh puhlease... May I hope that you are in this frame of mind all through the year? :):cheers

3 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Mega dearest, there is only one direction that I can take off after reading OJ-da's posts and that is northwards on the index page towards Cheeniya sir's own forum - to nominate a post pulling his legs which he claims are already long enough to put him in contention with wotwozername in the Guiness Book of World Records, requesting him to award it a prize.

I only hope Cheeniya sir forgives me and that I live to tread onto both his forums - snippets and FP another day to take these liberties again. :rotfl :hide:

4 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    Worries me too you know. I have always prided myself as a person who can handle his English reasonably well. It is not that I am incapable of committing a faux pas. I am quite capable there and particularly during my student days, I have earned even a nickname for it as ‘faux pas cheeniya’! But after reading this exclusive thread of yours, I am worried if I am back to my days of committing glorious faux pas. ‘Pulling someone’s leg’ is not classified as a crime in the Penal Code of any country that I am aware of. Of course, I am totally in the dark about countries like Concordia and the like whose names are mentioned only as postscript in the UN attendance register. Remember that classic Peter Ustinov movie ‘Romanoff and Juliet’ in which he figures as the Chief of Concordia?

Coming back to the point, when I read that I had ‘accused’ you of pulling my leg, my mind went into an awful spin. Nobody accuses anyone of pulling a leg since this particular activity is done in great camaraderie usually. To make my point clearer, I’ll give you a small example. Gandhiji is in the thick of freedom struggle and one fine morning in order to give further pep to his struggle, he announces boycott of ‘videshi’ goods. Immediately the whole country rises in support and consigns all their videshi possessions to fire. Chacha Nehru leads this movement in his favourite locality in Allahabad. There he observes a young chap consigning to flame his brand new videshi shirt which his uncle had brought from London only a week earlier. Chacha Nehru is very impressed. He goes to the youngster, pats him on the back and tells him that he sees all the markings of Gandhiji in him and he is certain that someday, he, that is the youngster, would take over the freedom struggle from Gandhiji and lead it. Now, what will be the reaction of the youngster? He’ll of course tell Chacha Nehru, ‘Chachaji, please don’t pull my leg’. Will Nehru rush to his desk and shoot off a letter to his daughter Indira Priyadarshini saying that he has been accused of leg pulling by a youngster?

I am giving this example only to emphasise on the need to declassify ‘leg pulling’ from the list of activities that come under the ambit of being accused of. There is otherwise no direct link to any of the dramatic personae of my example to the current subject. So don’t start asking me who is Gandhiji here and who is Chacha Nehru etc.

Coming to the Guinness guys, I was mentioning about the kind of inconvenient details they used to seek before declaring a winner some two decades back. I had some personal knowledge of this as a guy close to the place where I was working had claimed their attention for the longest moustache he had. The whole lot of them descended on the tiny village and pulled every hair of his moustache to make sure it was genuine. It is possible that they ask for PAN card etc nowadays to make sure that the claimant is not a ‘benami’ for an upcoming politician.

That’s pretty decent of you to dedicate your creation that was meant for your grandchild to a grandpa. As long as both are ‘grand’ how does it matter to whom it goes to? And talking of Chettinad, I must tell you that Chettinad is famous for not singing but for totally a different kind of oral activity which is eating. Their cuisine has acquired such fame that there are at least a thousand of them in Chennai! So no ‘Tana’s there but only ‘khana’!

Incidentally Laurel and Hardy fought in films only to make their fans laugh. Otherwise they were the best of buddies. Do you know that Laurel never performed after Hardy’s death despite getting lucrative offers from producers of repute?
    Sri

10 people like this.
  7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ojda
    That is one fantastic leg pulling:rotfl...............Ouch Foot in mY mouth........:hide:

4 people like this.
  8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

@ Anitap

Thank you so much good friend. Frankly, I have been searching for a profile picture for a long time and tried a few others in the past. I hope I have found one now that I will not feel like getting rid of too soon.

No way. If I thought IL lacked sense of humour, I wouldn't have published this snippet. I think this is the only site I have come across that possesses several human qualities, sense of humour included. As Cheeniya has mentioned to me more than once, IL is like a family and I know he has reasons to say so. And close families do laugh and cry together. Let's hope we don't need to cry though.

Love.

oj

2 people like this.
  9. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Savitha:

Thank you for this encouraging fb. I do enjoy a joke every now and then and I think you are absolutely right in your observation that there is no other site where we can share jokes as though we were part of a family. See, for example, what Kamal does all the time!! He keeps us all alive with his endless humour. Cheeniya's gems are humour filled too. Every time I read them as well as compositions by some of the other most talented writers, I am filled with admiration. Many of us, I know, log on to IL first thing in the morning, even before glancing at the newspapers.

Thank you once again and I am happy to have made you happy.

Love.

oj-da

2 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Ojaantrik:

You really drench me with your great sense of humor. I always enjoy reading your posts. I am wondering if our excessive appreciation of a person is called "pulling legs", what do we call if we don't appreciate a person who deserves high level of appreciation. Can we call it "pushing legs"?

I can't appreciate enough your writings as well as writings of Cheeniya Sir and will I be accused of pushing both your legs?

Viswa

2 people like this.