1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On being a "GOOD" hostess...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jan 6, 2010.

1. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

:hiyaPERFECT HOSTESS TO EVERYBODY is difficult but a fulfilling experience, We should carefully observe conversations on food topic mentally noting down each, and whole, so that when they come one family at a time we can prepare their choice [common one of the family].

when two or three come we have to streamline what are their own familial food preference, if two or more different culture mix and match so that they don't feel left out, and main, one meal that you make best,so that you will feel confident.

if 20 people make food that are easiest made and serves without making a mess of every area order half the samosa, cutlets PARATHAS from outside or get some relative to help, or neighbours to prepare one item each, and bring it over don't forget to invite them. :biglaugh

dessert, ice cream or cakes can be ordered outside cool drinks, lassie bad am milk etc.
    you all must be thinking so easy to advice. Our families and friend come to eat our Indian food,which is elaborate, not a single item should be missing,as my friend aunt big plantain leaf with 5types of veg,2 type of gravy appalam, tuyail. mixed veg ric plain rice ,rasam curd vada payasam banana, and now a days an icecream too. it all has to be prepared area cleaned well sorted out correctly put in leaf in right order,running around and seeing that no one's plate is empty before that we have to stand there to serve, these were i our time food served to Guest is equal to food served to God, the matching the decorations the washing of hands area, by the time we haveour lunch it is time for tea, with something like bajji or ready made savories,leaving little time to talk. when they rise up to leave, it is almost dinner time my DH will casually tell them they have to have dinner and then leave.:cheers:coffee

Once more dosas iddlie or chappattis,....this was my life, with friend near relatives farther relatives children's friends my relatives, casual visitors,lunch time friends and relatives, then relatives staying at our house, other wiseTHEY SAY we would have felt bad, staying days ,months and even years. i functioned good, v good, less good, okay,
    according to my health
    i belong to a very large family of seven brothers two sisters all married settled and with them comes additional relatives, though it was very tough now we are well knit family friends and relatives ,WHO ARE SHARING OUR DIFFICULTIES AND HAPPINESS.

Nowadays i ORDER food outside only for large gathering within 5 i cook myself with :cheershelf and preparation 1 day ago.

i think you must be tired of reading this..........NOTHING COMES FREE IN LIFE THERE IS ALWAYS A LATCH.......LATCH MEANS ATTACHMENTS ALSO WE ARE INVITED TO THEIR HOUSES SO THE CYCLE COTINUES BUT IN LIGHTER DIFFERNT WAYS,

2. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

Wow! Now that is what I call an mind-boggling post! So many tips on how to be a GOOD hostess and enjoy the party too!

Every family has at least one 'aunt' who is an excellent cook and makes sure that one is literally bursting at the seams after a sumptuous meal... I must add that my favourite aunt, a fantabulous and inventive chef, never ever needed to force us, we just gorged ourselves silly and sat back like 'pythons'!!!

Mindi, you are not alone when it comes to your DH's dig about leftovers making an appearance on the table for the next few days... ha, ha... The same history at our place too... Guess what, after a big party, we, my DDIL and I usually make sure we have a takeaway the next day...

Oh, the days of painstaking planning are behind us now... we have a pot-luck or call in some common dishes, only preparing a couple of special 'cordon bleu' stuff at home...

Good one, Mindi... keep them coming in, dear...

LnBBHs,
    Padma

interesting anecdotes about I have learnt

3. vimala1957

vimala1957 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mindi,

yea being a good host is an art, though I am not sure if I am one or not. I have my own way of hosting dinners or lunch. I believe that apart from the variety of food, the host/hostess must also look fresh and relaxed, so that the guests do not think that either we are very much exhausted doing things or hosting reluctantly.

I am a good cook and also love cooking. So I also wish to make things myself. I plan a menu not very big. Have limited number of items that can be made without getting tired and may be just some namkeen from outside or a sweet dish. For eg., Chhole - Bhature, a pulav, and a fruit custard would make a good dinner. All can be made the same day. Or may be a Sabji with peas(any combination like paneer or khoya ) and Naan , a chutney, a raita and kheer and Jeera rice -simple. get the namkeen from outside.

I try to finish up making almost everything a little early and try to relax and freshen up a little before the guests arrive. Can have more such combinatons in any regional cuisines or even things like pizzas/ pastas.

As the items are limited, the quantity can be decided well, no fear of anything falling short or that which item may be consumed more.

Well this is my way of hosting lunch/ dinner.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindian,

I read this post as soon as I saw the title and even before I could respond to it, it landed in my FP forum. Any surprise?

Looks like you have given quite a thought about hosting and hostesses after your recent new year party. How about hosting more parties if it means you dishing out delectables like this after every one of them??!! Ooops, what was that...did you just swing that dinner plate in my direction?:rotfl

Your Malayans do sound like an easy going lot, I should have lived there. Instead, we spent an awful long time in Germany where they not only believe in home cooked (read that as made from scratch )meals, they also believe in setting the table to T even if the guest number runs into thirties and also believe in using the fine china and sparkling cutlery.

After reading the whole post, I have come to the conclusion that you not only are a very good and entertaining hostess, you are also a very entertaining writer and every Induslady that reads this will be identifying herself with one or the other type of the hostess you describe.

As for my own recent new year party, I too requested my guests to take some left overs home as I could well imagine my hubby's face if I continued to feed him the same dishes for a good part of the new year!!!!! My considerate friends obliged me by taking all of the yummy items and carefully leaving the calorie rich dessert selection back for us!

Don't blame me if I look a little more rounder this year. All the more reason for me to adorn Jaya's cape!

L, K

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Mindi,
    I fully agree with you. We indians obsess with loading the table and end up wan and listless on the day of the party( if we cook ourselves) Somehow, food that is ordered is so looked down upon... it is jittery to have a get together for some set of people....

I wrote this: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/11573-asp.html specially on the topic.

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Mindi dear...

That's a good one... I always feel being a cook easy compared to hostess.. immediate i could recall one incident... once we had been to a house for lunch and they served meals in leaf with all veggies , i love all veggies except okra... okra was also in the leaf, immediately i felt like finished it first so that i enjoy the rest meal.. but as soon as i finished okra they served a lot again thinking i like it very much... i just dont know what to tell cant leave it also :hide:...... from then i completely stopped okra.. later mom made fries out okar and now very rare i eat that...

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Usha,

thanks for the visit and the comments...oh boy..am i glad of company here??/:biglaugh:biglaugh

yes some tips given here by jay and others are really worth taking down:)

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dEar Ammu,

I AM glad that you found the topic interesting..there seem to be quite a few perfect hostesses here,no?

thanks for the visit and oh yes i am back to singing LOUDLY and being a trouble to my neighbours:)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear malliga,

I loved your LONG post...you seem to be a PERFECT hostess really,and more than that a very warm and caring person...I am so glad that your friends and relatives reciprocate the love you have for them

i shall keep in mind what you have said...yes, i too can cook for 3 or more families but have now decided more than that i will cater..here it is more difficult malliga as we dont have full time help:bonk

thanks dear for the visit and comments,i really appreciate them

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear paddu,

good to see you here:)

]Mindi, you are not alone when it comes to your DH's dig about leftovers making an appearance on the table for the next few days... ha, ha... The same history at our place too... Guess what, after a big party, we, my DDIL and I usually make sure we have a takeaway the next day...

hahaha that was nice. now i must learn the correct terminolgy here...take away sounds so much hep than leftovers:biglaugh
    yes i agree with you potluck seems to be the best..:)