1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On being a "GOOD" hostess...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

hi mindi
    so a very happy new year to u .

You are hosting perfect dinner parties it appears from your so good write up.So a perfect host .

After "perfect brde" may be channel people may start "Perfect host" if happens to read your blog.

yes after a dinner party next day is leftover meals heated in microwave in most of our homes ,atleast it gives a relaxation not to cook after such dinner parties.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Now this is one blog i should not comment on, for it is for the ladies, right?
    But if i dont comment , so u wont comment onmy blogs, so i am commenting .Am i not being a good commentor ?:rotfl:rotfl

Very well written, and hilarious too. Well my MIL and FIL, when i went for lunch sometimes to them, would over feed me.And they being Veg, u know, i had to honour their sentiments, but were kind enough to order for me Beer , even though they dont drink! After all i am the SIL.HAHA

Me, i am a very poor host.Any guest, i serve them readymade snacks available in the market, papads, and rest the poor guy hs to go and take it fro the fridge or anywhere, bcs i want him or her to fell at home, and not feel like a guest! I tell them , eat well, for in thenight if u feel hungry, i will be sleeping, and there will be nothing left for u to srounge from the fridge.:biglaugh

And of course if hunger pangs hits them, they can take a swig from the whiskey in the bar, and go off to sleep, and when u sleep, u dont feel hunger:biglaugh:rotfl

Seriously, as a guest, i am a very nice guest.I ask the host, listen can u arrange nonveg for me, if he says no, fine, then i ask, can i bring my nonveg to yr home, if he says no, fine, i will eat what he wants me to.

See i am so accomodatig , no ? But u cook well, and make yr guests feel good, tht is nice.and it si wonderful for yr friend topack food for u all, i must say she must be a wonderful lady and a host.Never seen one like her

Regards

kamal

3. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hey Mindi!

Our Indian Culture can not beat any other one! I dont say that the westerners are any less in being good hosts..

But the indian ideology of cooking by ourselves for our nears and dears carries a seperate feeling at heart.. It knowingly or unknowingly strengthens the bondage between the guest and host!For we invite those who matter most in our heart and we always have a big list for that! :)

Very nicely written post!!!But I always dont get to play a good host :( for my husband always steals the show! I simply stand obeying his commands and admiring his body language n his cheerful nature! No wonder i fell for this wonderful person!

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Mindi your DH either has a great sense of humor or the foot in the mouth disease. In situations like this it is often difficult to tell the two apart.t

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear viji,

thank you for the first fb:)

lucky you...to have a loving family that cooks for and serves you too:)..i too enjoy cooking but it should be stress free..which is not always the case:)

thanks viji for always being here in spite of being a busy grandma:)

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear srini,

haha even i tell my dh" i am a good cook and hostess,no" and he will be like" shouldnt the guests be saying that" anyway ,lets say we are trying our best:)

You know sometimes dh would embarass us, thinking they are joking..we had to balance it with our own 'good hostess' smile.

good to know i have company here:)

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My dear Alps,

I have absolutely no doubts that you are a GREAT HOSTESS.....because you are way wise and mature beyond your years.....:) yes it is very important for the hostess to feel happy and good too, so whatever she feels comfortable with..:)

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nat,

i am going to use kamaljis name for you..

btw, a perfect opportunity to tell you that you have a good sense of humour..and maybe you too should write in snippets...i love this column in IL as there is no dearth of topics to quote from our real life,isnt it? so more the writers ,the merrier...:)

yeah, you got exactly what i was trying to say..:)

you are good host of the posts as well.

now, that is a compliment i will treasure...:)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear shree,

please dont apologise...i enjoyed the long fb...for me it is a long chat with a good friend:)

When somebody offers to bring a dish, I never say NO :-).

hahaa...i liked that.:)

yes, most of our gettogethers are also just like the way you have mentioned. though when it involves hubbys office people it tends to be a bit formal...

I was :rotfl at your bhatura story..

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Mins,
    Iam waiting for the day you will invite me for a dinner or lunch, since you are good cook. Give me a notice so that i will starve for 2-3 days and then attack on your food.

Actually i get so worked up when i need to host dinner/lunch. My DH loves entertaining people and so it was always some guest dropping in. During Diwali we used to get easily 100-130 pax and then i use to cater food. Being in Malaysia most of them are non veg, just veg parties are not so popular unlesss with a small crowd.
    My main worry comes how to entertain them :
    1) Adults : Sometime i plan some games and give way gifts
    2) Kids < 15 : Area for them to play - since most of them glues to TV i have some cartoons for them. Need to organize some games for them too
    3) semi adults : another area for them
    4) As you know Beer/alcohol is intergral part of entertaining in Malaysia, need to keep a check on it and reduce the abuse.
    5) I also keep a lot tupperwares ( those not so expensive ones) to pack the balance food for any guest who wants to take it back home.
    6) some guests especially children will tease my dogs which irritates them and so i need to keep them all in kennel.
    The next day i am sure to see some of my house delicate show pieces would be broken ( i love crystals and i place it every where)and kids invariably will mess with it or my flower pots would have been toppled.So i will be on my toes and next day is leg pain and body ache.

But now i keep few stalls for the party so the food is cooked and served immediately.

Planning a menu that caters for the 3 races in Malaysia is always a challenge, so i try to 2 malay dishes, 2 chinese and rest indian style.
    When comes to smaller crowd 3-4 families it is home food. I cannot call myself a good cook, but no one had died after eating my food nor vomitted ( i suppose,not sure what happened when they went back home). If they decline my invitation i suppose i know the reason.

Don't forget you need to keep a bedroom ready in case some wants to put their babies to sleep.
    Must always remember to have in store all those diet coke,pepsi and equals, and also non carbonated drinks.
    As to end of the dinner coffee with mik, without milk, without sugar, with sugar replacement,milo , irish coffee etc to be available for myraids of taste buds. Now that Bru is very popular among indians here, that is to be available.
    Oh Gosh ! iam exhausted even without cooking.
    Jaya