1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

OM SHANTHI OM vs SAAWARIYA

Discussion in 'Movies' started by csailaja, Nov 10, 2007.

1. csailaja

csailaja Senior IL'ite

'Om Shanti Om' beats 'Saawariya' at the box office

[​IMG]
    By Shweta Thakur

The audience verdict is out. The box office seems to favour Shah Rukh Khan's "Om Shanti Om" in comparison to Sanjay Leela Bhansali's much-touted magnum opus "Saawariya".
    While King Khan's film registered 90 percent occupancy across the country on its Diwali release, Bhansali's love story managed 60 percent.

"Om Shanti Om" is director Farah Khan's tribute to the colourful and vibrant cinemas of the 70s and it has Shah Rukh is a new avatar, going shirtless and displaying his six-pack abs, while Bhansali's film is a mystical love story set in Shimla and introduces new faces.

The audience response can be gauged from Anirban Basu, a movie buff who saw both the films. "'Om Shanti Om' is much more entertaining than 'Saawariya'. SRK's film has a perfect blend of comedy and drama while Bhansali's film is stale and boring. It is extremely slow. Apart from the lavish sets there is nothing in the film to hold the audiences' interest."

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Sanjay Leela Bhansali is a very good director but his movies have a shade of sadness, darkness which people would not enjoy. The tickets of the movies have become so expensive that people expect full entertainment. Gossips, cries, laments, sadness, argument, hatred, lost, sacrifice is all what they do before they reach the theater to watch the movie.

There is so much of darkness in his movie, thats the reason OSO has taken the trophy. Shah Rukh is always a full time entertainer.

Ranbir Kapoor is noticed and Sonam is finally not rated as a good actress..

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

My vote goes for Saawariya only. In OSO SRK's comedy is irritating and everything is contrived. I found a fresh and different feeling while I watched Saawariya. The music, is good, the sets breath taking and the acting by Ranvir Kappor and Sonam Kapoor brought nostalgic memories of Raj Kapoor and Nargis. Rani Mukherjee's performance was quite good.

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey everybody

I saw both the movies yaar, completely disappointed with both... I mean SLB i guess lives in his own world of dreams and in that world he made saawariya... the whole film on one dark and blue set... and frankly speaking yaar, some sort of happiness quotient is required in a movie... and OSO is okeyyy i mean for SRK its high time shud do meaningful stuff like chak de... he was irritating and looked gay all throughout the movie...

i mean, sawariya songs are great, the kids were great, but the story was sooo empty... SLB has wasted everyone in the film... how i wish ranbir and sonam wud have been launched in Jab We Met... it wud have been a good launch pad for them... and for ranbir, he is great... i desperately want to see him playing guitar in the sarso fields... for god's sake in some open area with sunlight....

~Abha

5. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

I saw OSO and half way through my head started aching.
    Where the hell was the story!!!!...My god,i think that movie is running only coz of SRK,that over exposing heroine and that 1 song.
    It is a mindless movie and complete and utter waste of money and time.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Abha,

That was a wonderful review. It only reflects how desperate you were to watch the movie end.... Even I felt Ranbir would have played guitar more better in a sarson da kheth... Oh the sets were so gory and boring... Sanjay Leela Bhansali had written that he has seen much of penury and hence he unknowingly transfers it in his movies. OSO is running only for Sharukh...

7. devotee

devotee Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I watched OSO on first day of its release.. but not impressed with it... It was very very boring...
    But when I read the reviews in newspaper I was surprised.. The reviews were promoting the film...
    Anyone here who liked the movie?

-Devotee

8. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

OSO is doing well only because Saawariya is dragging ... boring -- not because it is a good movie ! SRK went all out to promote the movie -- while poor Ranbir and Sonam relied only on Bhansali to sail them thro'.
    Bhansali's only good movie was 'Hum dil de chuke sanam' which worked maily 'cos of [ real and reel ]chemistry between Sallu & Aish ; plus Ajay Devgan's acting and practical story line.
    After that Khamoshi was torture ; Black was totally lifted from a foreign film, scene by scene -- that's why it wasn't sent to Oscars.
    Now over-rated Bhansali has let down the viewers once again with his gloomy Saawariya -- it is very very similar to 'iyarkai' a tamil movie, which was made a few years back, and was much better than this dull and dreary film.

9. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Hi everybody,
    I watched OSO on saturday, srk's action was a huge disappointment, i felt that most of his scenes could be done well. But i liked Deepika ...... she was very graceful as an yesteryear actress, may be becoz i didnot expect much from her.

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Whoa,
    I have watched sawariya and am yet to watch OSO....From previous posts in this thread, I am nt going to have huge expectations.

As for Sawariya, i found it as a big time waste. I know people who have watched Raaj Kapoor and Nargis would have enjoyed it.. Also Rani is like his ego doing the talk...The film is not meant for mass audience. It is meant for a small section of people who enjoy subtleties, have taste for old RK's movies etc..

Regds
    Shri