1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old things made new

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 25, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

In my younger days I was very fond of having always new. I used to have limited sarees to wear for work so seeing everyone wearing different types I used to feel I should also have. So I used to get the old sarees printed with new designs and people used to think they are new sarees. Those days it was not costly to get the sarees printed with new designs. Those days sarees from Dubai used to be very good. Since they were foreign sarees I used to have craze for those sarees. Now sarees go from here to Dubai. Those sarees are not to be seen at all now. I still remember I had one nice saree brown colour which was a printed one , which I had hung in the balcony and in the night forgot to keep it inside and someone took it away. I felt very bad.

I was very fond of jewellery also but since could not buy much gold from the pearls I used to make different desings every week and wear it. So always old things I used to make it new and people used to think they are new.

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    You could become the Poster Girl for The Green Planet Movement !:) "Re-use, Reduce and Recycle " is the modern mantra everyone is encouraged to follow now-a-days ! Its the most responsible thing to do as it is not only economical, but also saves a lot of natural resources.

But generally, in our traditional society, we are quite used to the idea of making new things out of old, isn't it ! I remember how Mother's sarees would become Kameezes or long skirts for Daughters. Older boy's trousers would be altered and given to younger boys. Mother's Jewelry too, would be melted and made into new designs for the children. Jam bottles were used as kitchen containers. Some juice bottles with beautiful shapes were painted and used as flower vase ! Even faded bath towels and bedsheets were converted into handy kitchen wipes . A whole lot of recycling went on, each thing taking on new and newer avatars till it became totally un-usable !:biggrin2:

How nice to know that you are skilled in making pearl jewelry of different designs ! You should put up some of your creative ideas in the craft section for us to see.

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Hey there Viji aunty...that is cool idea that you had to print out new designs on old sarees. That is a great idea...that way you always have something new to wear.

I can't believe someone just took away your saree which was hung in the balcony...thats bad. I hate to lose something like that too.

Nice post from you Viji as usual.

Love
    Jaya

4. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

nice idea viji aunty..... i still remember that during college days... one of my friend had stiched a new chudidhar from her mother's saree.... and my trend started..... immediately i was pestering my mom for some of her sarees and she was refusing that they are very new and she wont allow... at last i won and i had three such sarees as chudidhars....i still remember that i had stiched one purple plain saree to chudidhar which all my friends liked.....

oh i cant forget those days...

yes, we all tend to like the new ones.... so making the old look like new is really cool idea....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  5. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

nice idea viji ma!
    but so sad of hearing that you lose one of your favorite saree!
    don't feel dear its nature that you loose one and automatically you get another better than the older!

wish you to get all you like!:thumbsup

6. iyerviji

Dear Lakshmi

Thanks for your first fb and appreciation. I also used to stitch gagra choli for my daughters from my sarees since I could not buy variety of dresses for them. And making new jewellery from the old one, I am an expert in that as I get fed up of the same jewellery so change it everytime as I cant buy new ones. Making from the old new is because I was not able to buy new ones. So be happy with the old ones in a new form.

The pearl necklaces I used to make when I was in school, now I dont have that, and now no patience to make them.

love
    viji

7. iyerviji

Dear Jaya

Thank you for stepping in. Ya I felt very bad because I used to like that saree very much which is still fresh in my mind

love
    viji

8. iyerviji

Dear Sandhya

I had also stitched chudidhars and pavadais from my sarees for my children. Good you also had some made out of your mother's sarees.
    My daughter's friend also told her mother to stitch like that for her also. But her mother was not interested in making from her sarees

love
    viji

9. iyerviji

Dear Yamini

Thanks for your fb and for your good wishes

love
    viji

10. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Viji mami, it is so nice to read about your younger days.

My younger brother also used to do something like this.

Since appa was in Mumbai at that time, for my younger brother's b'day he would send some new clothes but invariably it will arrive much later than on his b'day and the little one used to iron one of his used clothes all by himself and wear it.

Tears are welling in my eyes while I narrate this here. That was how was our upbringing. My parents have sacrificed to bring the 4 of us up in the best possible way and we 4 have made our parents proud now....