Old age is not a mystery; make it as a history

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by veni_mohan75, Mar 9, 2010.

1. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Kalputti,
    All of my coworkers are in 50s and 60s, initially as in India I tried to address them in respectable way, they corrected me. I address them with short names similar to the way they address each other, and they do the same to me as well. They used to get offended when I get up and give them my seat etc. This way we feel like friends or coworkers, most often age gap disappears psychologically.
    I walk my dog every day, helps in socializing with dog lovers of all age groups. I may be considered old in India if they think hitting 40 is old. As I am living in a western country, I exercise about 2 hours a day between morning and evening along with a full time job. I am better now in with regards to physical fitness now than in my 20s. Elders can reinvent their old hobbies like gardening, adopting a dog which I did after our DD turned 10.

I do not think we can ever become redundant in life as long as we are active, some of my observations from individuals in 50 s and 60s. Living with adult children may make us feel old, one thing I will try to avoid as much as I can.

Taking up simple jobs unrelated to our education to keep busy
    Simple yoga stretching exercise classes
    enrolling in gym simple small weight training keeps us toned, moderate paced walk on treadmill
    Going on daily morning and evening walks may not be possible in some localities in India
    Adopting dogs
    Going out for a lunch or dinner with similar minded individuals once in a week
    Book clubs
    moving back to small towns or native places
    Going out to games and movies with friends
    Gardening
    Living independently and meeting children and grand kinds once in while
    Working as long as we can if retired volunteering

2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi BB, it is good that you treat your colleagues as friends.Our cultures differs to a great extent, don't they?Here we are not bothered about 'looking' old or 'being considered to be old',but a healthy interaction of friendliness and more importantly 'mutual' respect.

Here I have a friend and yes, we were working together for some time.She used to call me by my name, though using 'neenga' and vaanga' and 'ponga' etc.I really liked that closeness that she was feeling, and finally it is that feeling, i.e. that comes from the heart that counts.

I agree with Padmini that we do, as our bodies age, tend to become emotionally and physically weaker.We do appreciate some sort of care that youngsters can provide.

Like when my daughter or DIL mentions, " Amma, you do need your rest now, I can take care of the kids." Or " If you are not tired or something, can we go to the beach or some temple?"

Those are the time I cherish and enjoy , or rather feel pampered, though I don't want to wallow in that.

I do have my fears that should I become invalid or something, would I be a burden on the kids? With ever increasing stressful life for the young of these days, how will they manage? But part of my mind assures me that they can manage everything better than what we are actually doing, but the unexplained apprehension still remains.

This is just to let youngsters know that old also go through a lot of stress, only of some different kind.