Old age is not a mystery; make it as a history

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by veni_mohan75, Mar 9, 2010.

1. veni_mohan75

veni_mohan75 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sandhya,

I agree with you friend. though they are physically unable at the old age, their guidance and the heart felt aashirwatham's will give strength for us to achieve any heights.

Grand parents mean a lot for me. They take care of us like their "Uyir". I love them very much.

Felt sorry about your thaththaa. May his soul rest in peace and let his aashirwathams be there for his first peran and his family.

Thanks a lot friend for sharing your experience and for the nice feedback.

2. veni_mohan75

Dear Ganga,

What you said is right, we have co operate with them to make their life easier. A slight push in the right direction will make a lot of differences. We have to help them to come out their old age difficulties.

Thank you friend for your sweet feedback.

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

It's a mystery, how I missed this one from you Veni.

Present day youngsters should realize their values and shower their love & affection. Giving them money to survive is not what they are longing for.

Nice thoughts Veni.

Sandhyaa's thoughts about her grand parents disturbed me a lot.

4. veni_mohan75

Dear Natpudan,

You are correct. They do not need money from us. They are not going to anything with that. They need is our love and affection. Let us give them and make them come out their difficulties of the age.

Thank you friend for your feedback.

Yes friend. The thoughts disturbed me too

5. padma777

padma777 Senior IL'ite

Dear Veni,
    After going through all these i felt still there is some affection, compassion in this world. This world is not going to fall soon, I hope for the best. Talking of grand parents, mother in law and father in law can be kept aside for some time. Are we taking care of our parents? Yes parents who accept us unconditionally with all our shortcomings and demerits? No majority of us dont have the time to sit with them for a while, what to talk of taking care,
    Really old people are histories in themselves in terms of experiences they gather, finance they accumulate which afterall goes to their children. The treasure house of knowledge and real life experiences which they pass on to us are priceless.
    I see my parents (65 years now) are very meticulous in spending even a rupee which sometimes makes me feel irritated. But saving each rupee in turn has enabled me to think this way. It is only due to their efforts, I am what I am now.
    the priceless dedication and affection they have bestowed upon me can not be realized from me. I have no language to express their sacrifices and love.
    I pray God to give my years of life to my parents and I would like to die before them. Please God take away all my virtues and fulfil my wish please!

6. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    This is a very nice thread allowing members to express their feelings.
    Of Course we can learn a lot from elders. Their advice is time tested and sagacious, for they have seen and experienced the world.

Those children who have been raised in a joint family know how age can change the abilities both physical and mental of the elders.
    But those who have not seen an elder aging, perhaps will not understand the vagaries of age.
    They have always seen elders able and fit so they continue to expect the same from them. I have seen many children who feel why they did not understand that their elder is losing the ability to do small everyday chores for themselves. This regret comes only after losing the elder in the family.

This is by no means the child's fault but they sometimes just fail to realise that age is changing the elders and the elders need more care now.

If we can have that realisation then the elders would be better taken care of. So please spend more time with the elders and observe them and their needs. They need your support.

All the best.

7. indiracmadhavan

indiracmadhavan New IL'ite

Dear Veni ,
    What you have said is almost true .I am a retired person staying presently with my working daughter taking care of her child.As we have srevants to do the household work I have not much work to do.Though the child keeps me and my husband busy,at times we feel lonely especially on holidays when my daughter and son-in-law go out.Eventhough they invite us also to accompany them,we don't go much as we are not interested in roaming around in malls and all.Our interests are different;meeting our friends and relatives or visiting temples.So on holidays we try to go to such places as we are healthy enough to do that alone. But when we become dependent physically, we need our children's help and definitely they should show concern for us.Parents also should understand one thing that amidst the busy schedule of their career and children they may find it difficult to spend much time with their parents.So what I feel is as far as possible old people shoild also keep themselves busy by helping the children in home management and sharing their experience to the grand children.By remaining active you can overcome boredom to a certai extent.
    Indira

8. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Veni akka,

I loved my grand parents very much. Me and brother used to make them laugh and we together had good time together especially with my grand ma.She used to say about her experiences and we loved to hear. we used to make special food and we enjoyed together.:kiss
    She is no more now but i have her blessings. :bowdown

Thanks veni kka for making me remind of the beautiful old time i had with her.:thankyou2:

9. Ramavyasarajan

Ramavyasarajan Silver IL'ite

A very good thread really Veni. But now most of the parents themselves are alone . then what about grandparents. As far as I know many of the parents live in india alone while their sons/daughters are abroad. Sometimes I used to think that India has become old age asylum . In our time we love our grand parents much

10. Ramavyasarajan

Ramavyasarajan Silver IL'ite

Good idea ma. But the fact is they too accept our helping hand, to hear our suggestions etc is also there no. At times it is lacking with them .