Ok....Returning to India for good !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Dec 6, 2013.

1. preethakarthik

preethakarthik Senior IL'ite

Brinda,
    When I was in US i was holding dependent visa, who worked 8 years in India forced to sit alone in extended stay hotel for 6 months, then 2 years in an apartment. Ofcourse felt some loneliness very badly initially, then I started engaging myself.
    first thing I did was joined IL forum
    second started my blog, everyday experience
    third started to cook a lot
    fourth started my own food blog.
    went to hobby shop and bought many things and started decorating my room. like this so many i can say. At one point i find i was total busy doing something.

Any ways, welcome to India. Sure you will have a good time here. I don't think people are intrusive. Also it depends.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

more than anything..it' the sense of belonging:) isn't it?

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Brinda,
    as I mentioned, my biggest issue was adjusting expectations. I could not call mil/mom and give them a minute by minute detail of everything that happens at home. Initially mil would get upset that she was not informed of things I bought or my DHs travel plans etc. in time, they got the message. I did share required information but my purchases etc was better not discussed because I felt I didn't want to justify my affordability.
    Other than that, work wise, I had a tough time adjusting to the extend work hours and commute. In time, I found a start up close to home with a very US like work culture. That helped tremendously.
    I had a terrible time driving in India. It took me six months to get back into the grove. I hated driving a five speed car after driving an automatic car for so long. In time, I got used to it. Now I drive a manual five speed car with clutch even here!

btw, my neighbors and friends were not over intrusive. They had their own lives but we socialized frequently. It was easier there. Best part was kids have so many friends right there in the apartment. They don't have to get me to drive them to one kids house. It was like a play date everyday.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes it definitely is! We felt like we were never away when we got there. When we got back, it was like we were always outsiders here. No matter how I think about it, this is not home.

5. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

Following the thread..I am also in the process of RTI soon..I would also like to hear more from who returned recently....I haven't gone to India since 2009 and this time returning to India with a toddler..

1 person likes this.
  6. krishyprat

krishyprat Senior IL'ite

Lucky u...ofcourse u r not going to feel lonely in india yeah u might miss walmart n shopping but when u want to meet ur people party with ur friends u can do it all...all the best

1 person likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

exactly laks..feel the same like u.Always confused out here.I have no problems with the life in USA..everything is awesome but sometimes miss the essence of India.Still, too scared to start all over again.ur positive approach really soothes.thanks so much.

Thanks to everyone else too.
    Awaiting more replies:)

8. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi brinda,

I want to share my experience with you..I went back in India in jan 2013 for good (expected not to come back USA). It took very few days to get adjusted that was for my DD as she was in USA from 8th month and not speaking hindi. So she faced issues in her daycare but daycare staff took her care very well and in a month she started speaking Hindi as same as us. I moved to Pune , have apartment over there. When we moved to USA we stayed in apartment only for few months so was not knowing to any one. But this time, I made lot of friends of all age groups in society and enjoyed evening so no loneliness (though i couldn't made any friend in my previous and current USA trip and feel very lonely). My DD also got lot of friends in society and was enjoying evening with them after coming from daycare. There was a time when I was managing alone in india (my DH had to travel back USA) , there were lot of hands to help me (that i can't imagine here). This time when I was leaving India, i was feeling like a girl during her marriage who is leaving a family. I still miss my Pune society, friends, celebration etc. Those were golden days.

I want to go india and enjoy in same manner as earlier.

Regarding interference from family- it was the same as here ...if have this evil phone everywhere :(

2 people like this.