1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ojentricities

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

oj1: Hi oj2! Where were you hiding? I have been looking around you know. You would have run away just now, had I not caught you by your collar! Now, don't deny. I know you saw me and were trying to run away ... But why? Why do you keep running away from me?

oj2: OK man! I won't deny. Yes, I do stay away from you. You are disgusting.

oj1: Oh really! You know what? I had a vague suspicion that you hated me. But I hardly realized how intense your hatred was. Now that you have admitted it yourself, won't you at least give me a hint? I mean ... why do you hate me so much? I didn't run away with your wife did I?

oj2: Yes, you did. In fact you ran away with all the women I ever felt attracted towards.

oj1: Come on! Your wife never left you. And if any of the other women you fell for had kicked you in the ass, you can hardly hold me responsible. I don't even know them.

oj2: Of course you know them. You know each one of them. You are the one who kept pointing out to me why they will invariably show me the door. And then either you were proved right, or I ran away without waiting to find out if your forecast was correct or not.

oj1: Ah ha! Is that so? Well I guess you have a point. I did tell you why you didn't stand much of a chance with women. The least a woman expects from a man is self-confidence. You lacked it Sir. You never believed that you deserved a woman's attention. And then you fell into this rational expectations trap. You have lived all your life in a perfect foresight world.

oj2: Well, what else could I believe? Too much competition everywhere. Any woman towards whom I felt even marginally attracted was surrounded by tough competitors. I was the least competent amongst them. So, ... I guess I left. And, mind you, I did not always leave on my own. Quite often, they threw me out too.

oj1: Why on earth don't you possess even the slightest trace of confidence in yourself? How do you know that the others were better than you? Did any woman tell you so?

oj2: I don't need to be told. It's all too obvious.

oj1: Good friend, let me ask you a question.

oj2: Don't call me a friend. You are my worst enemy. But go ahead with your stupid question anyway. Now that I am pretty close to the end of my life, it doesn't matter what you ask. What is it?

oj1: Did you ever fall in love with a woman?

oj2: What a sadist you are! What was the point of starting this conversation if I hadn't ever fallen in love? I was in a hurry, trying to cross the street, and you held me back. All for this inane inquiry?

oj1: No, seriously ... please, don't run away ... Just tell me ... how did you find out that you had fallen in love with a woman?

oj2: No, you are not a sadist. You are an unadulterated idiot. How does one know that he has fallen in love with a woman? Can these things be analysed and defined for other people's consumption. One knows he is in love ... that's all. It's not definable. You need to feel it.

oj1: Well, give me another chance please. Did you ever try to find out what a woman was fond of before you decided you had fallen in love? I mean, did you ever try to speak to her about her interests. Did you ever take an interest in her interests? Did you ever ask yourself if you had similar interests too? Or did you just strike a pose and expect her to feel mesmerised?

oj2: How could I find out about her interests, surrounded as she was by her admirers?

oj1: Yes, I guessed correctly. You fell in love because others had appeared to have fallen in love. You never even tried to find out what sort of a person she was. You simply wanted to possess her. That's physical possession. This is why you were so scared of her admirers.

oj2: What's this physical thing you are talking about? You seem to be suggesting that I had little other than sexual interest in a woman. That's vulgar. You know very well that I am not made that way. Leave me alone, will you? I loved my Ophelias more than a hundred thousand suitors ...

oj1: Well, I don't wish to hurt you. But you are confused. You are incredibly arrogant and full of airs. You have always been expecting a woman to fall for you. But why should she? Did you expect her to be attracted by your pretension of superiority? Even if she was, she would have been quite foolish. Such an approach wouldn't lead to a lasting relationship.

oj2: Lasting relationship? I have had a lasting relationship with my wife for sure. Don't teach me about lasting relationships.

oj1: But you contradict yourself don't you? Only a while ago you said that I had run away with her!

oj2: Ha, ha ... I was joking. Now you are the one who's putting on airs and graces.

oj1: Good to know this you know. But are you really sure about this? I mean even if I haven't run away with her, are you sure that she's with you? I mean not physically. Mentally Sir, mentally.

oj2: Yes, I am pretty confident about this. However disappointing this might sound to you.

oj1: Confident? You? About a woman? Can't believe this. But really, you make me curious. I won't bother you much longer. Just answer this little question. How did you find out about the "mental" thing? Please. I entreat you. If you were to satisfy my curiosity, I will vanish from your life forever. Just this one question.

oj2: Well, I'll answer you, even though this is the silliest question I have ever been asked. I know that we are mentally together because I am a part of some of the things she loves.

oj1: Such as?

oj2: Well small things really ...

oj1: Yes, yes, I know. Tell me about the small things. Those are the ones that make me feel so desperately inquisitive ...

oj2: Small, they are really small things, I am almost embarrassed to relate them to you ... but one of these things is walking over to Barista for coffee on winter afternoons. She has her favourite corner and I simply love to watch her enjoy her favourite brand of black coffee ... She chats too on these occasions ... happiness bubbling out of her eyes.

oj1: Anything else?

oj2: Lots really ... but inconsequential things that she loves and wants me to love too. I have loved those things because ... well because they make her happy.

oj1: You know ... this is probably the only time in my life that I have felt delighted in your company! You said you hated me, but I used to hate you more. Today's the first time I don't feel liking spitting on your face...

oj2: Indeed? Thanks for the information. I wish you happy spitting at others though. Will you let me go about my way though? Now that you are on cloud nine?

oj1: Sure friend, sure indeed. And yes, I don't think I will ever bother you again. Do please cross over to the other side. The pedestrian signal's turned green. One last request though ...

oj2: What a bother you are! What is it now?

oj1: Please keep moving on. Never turn back and cross over to this side of the street again.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

Similar Threads
    1. ojaantrik
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Very interesting, so that is Two OJ's talking to each other, one is the consience i suppose.

Where women are concerned, i too feel they are very difficult to understand, their words and expressions say different things.i am like this OJ 2.

Regards

kamal

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Nice one OJji. Some of those lines sound very familiar !!
    oj1: Please keep moving on. Never turn back and cross over to this side of the street again.
    I am not sure if this means not to venture into the "what ifs". I think that is what it says. We sometime try to over interpret incidents and that leads to us feeling miserable and not happy with that moment.

4. ojaantrik

@ kamalji

Dear Kamal:

This is not one of your usual fb's. You sound different. One of your philosophical moods may be? I wrote on a subject that I have been pursuing through my love stories for some time now. This is the latest version I think. But I am not sure if I know the complete answer to my question yet. Just as I will never understand the dividing line between greed and sin!

All the best.

oj

5. ojaantrik

Dear k2s:

I told you earlier, didn't I, that my quest will continue. What does it mean for a man to be in love with a woman or the other way round? This is the stage I have reached in my understanding so far. But I am sure that I have not reached the end yet. Miles to go before I sleep ..., to use a cliche!!

Best wishes.

oj

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ

You have joined the elite gang of the masters of English language who keep adding new words to the Dictionary. According to me, the most famous of them is the derivative ‘gruntled’ from the word disgruntled by PG Wodehouse. He wrote in one of his novels “The Code of the Woosters” the famous line ‘though he was not disgruntled, he was far from gruntled’! The word has found its way into the dictionaries as an antonym for disgruntled. Your ‘ojentricity’ is of a similar class. This can be used to explain a rare form of eccentricity that is born out of one’s pride in his creations and the resultant obsession with class and quality! This may also symbolize a fear that such an eccentricity can alienate a person from the mundane crowd.

Your conversation with your alter ego is indeed a classic piece of writing. What makes it interesting is the mutual hatred you have for each other. It is not very often that a person’s alter ego could turn as hostile as in your case. The number 2 hating the original is very unique. But I must concede that only in such cases where the alter ego and the original are at variance with each other that such conversations ensue. In all other cases, the alter ego merely survives through acts of sycophancy and in the process failing to record its displeasure whenever warranted. All the spineless, indecisive and confused soliloquies of Shakespeare are a result of having an equally spineless alter ego.

I must compliment you for having given so much of freedom to your alter ego! Look at the kind of things that you allow him to tell you! “No, you are not a sadist. You are an unadulterated idiot.” And then “What's this physical thing you are talking about? You seem to be suggesting that I had little other than sexual interest in a woman. That's vulgar.” That conversation with your alter ego that you have narrated here is very revealing. I can tell you honestly that you don’t need him. Besides being arrogant, he is pulling you down with him. He is jealous of your popularity and your universal acceptance. Get rid of him, OJ. That will be good for you, indeed very good for you. And for us too. OJ without his alter ego will be an answer to all our prayers!

I see that this post of yours has already earned a 5-star. It is a pity that it cannot be more than 5! You would deserve it if there is!
    Sri

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting Oj da, though the title had me thinking that you were going to list out your eccentricities hahhaha

Oj2,I thought you were very cute, though naughty. Thank God, Oj1 was there to rein you.. Keep Oj 1 as your friend and do enjoy the small pleasures in life with your wife. Glad that you have started realizing the meaning of true love .This is REALLY bodhi tree stuff:)

Oj1, you must frequently visit oj2.You are a true Friend and have advised him to move on in life happily, without raking up the past. And enlightenment too! Wow! All of us can do with someone like you.:)

8. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Dear OJ,

You know what this reminded me of? Many fictional characters have this moral debate going on with the Angel and the Devil on either shoulder. In your case, it seemed to me that the Angel and the Devil are merged into one Alter-Ego.

Your alter-ego seems to challenge everything you say or do, regardless of whether it is righteous or not! But I totally concur with OJ1 that all your (so-called) failures are washed away with the happiness you share with your wife over mundane things!

You seem to be a very complicated person, given to much rumination & retrospection..but most of your 'what-ifs' seem to hover around the people in your life, as in what would people think of me?

I haven't seen much of life and the world, but the few things I have achieved so far happened when I was least bothered about others' impressions. Now, if only I could remain that way all the time!

Very interesting 'inner-monologue'...I'm sure all of us can identify with it in form, if not in substance!

Wonderfully penned, as usual..

Sowmya

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Oj san,
    What am i to say other than bahuth kush hua ! Every fb had said and ofcourse Cheeniya crowned it.
    Ojentrcities do similar to eccentricity and some how it resonates to you. The conversation or soliloqy iam not sure what it is, but makes a master piece reading.
    JY1 : Why do you get fascinated by OJ
    JY 2 : He is a fine writer

JY 1 : He is bit eccentric, do not get involved with him
    JY2 : May be so, but there is a softness in him that attracts women to him.

JY1 : He is married and pls keep away from him
    JY2 : So what ? He is a gift to IL , ladies love him. We hang on to his every word of praise which he doles out generously. Ego or Alter ego he is writer to be cherished. We accept him with his ojentricities.

Jaya

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Oh WOW! Jaya, that was suuuuuperrrrrrb!
    I loved every word of it.

OJji, I am sure your "ego" has been boosted by reading Jaya's reply.
    I don't mean to be part of a bunch of competitors here who are your admirers, because I don't stand a chance!! (sounds familiar?? :)).

We all love you OJji and love everything you have to write (now, that sounds familiar too isn't it??)

Absolutely enjoyed reading all the fb's here and like you rightly mentioned, very unlike Kamalji.