1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Episode 6

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 1, 2009.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

I was late in reading this episode even after your repeated alerts regarding the speciality of this episode. I have now started to believe that everything that happens in our lives happen at the time, it is supposed to happen. I was destined to read this episode today. I feel that my day has been made after reading this story.
    I pray the Lord blesses you with His immense Love, for bringing those beautiful, powerful lines to mortal souls like me. Those lines clearly bring a sense of peace and relief. I am feeling that peace right now.
    Your fb to sudha also made my thought process going. I am not very wise to understand the full intensity of the words mentioned, ennakku thalai valikirathu and en thalaikku valikirathu. appa ninachale pullarikkuthu...

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown thanks,

L and respect,
    jothi.

2. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Respected Sir , I have been a silent reader of all your beautiful stories. Could you please translate the lines into english because I neither know nor can read Tamil and the essence of this episode lies in those lines . Thank you for writing such wonderful stories ,spreading so much love around .

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Maya,
    Considering the importance of your request I am prioritizing your fb for an early reply. Here's the translation.

The food I eat is Kannan!
    The water I drink is kannan!
    The betel leaf I enjoy chewing is Kannan!
    Whatever is there is nothing but kannan!

(Betel leaf is typically representative of all the enjoyments we have in life)

Thanks for coming in and thanks for the fb, Maya
    love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Dear Usha,
    Thanks. The story is just fiction in the sense I created those characters. But they were created more by the intensity of love contained in those lines.

Thanks for coming in. And thanks for the fb.
    love,
    sridhar

5. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much for such a quick reply . Indeed it is so true !!! This is said in Bhagwad Gita too . Thank you again .

6. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    At the very outset I have to clarify one thing. Nammazhwar is a mighty ocean of love of which what I have is just a drop.

And if what I have can be considered as a ocean (relatively speaking) what I gave you is just a drop of it.

Nammazhwar could not have enough of the blue-eyed Lord. In his songs he has assumed himself as an ordinary devotee first. Well, he could enjoy His love fully. Then he took the usual route. Imagining himself to be a girl pining for Kannan. That also was not enough. Then he assumed the role of the girl's mother. And we all know how the girl's mother would worry when, for example, the girl has left the house in search of her beloved. The lines I have quoted in this story is from such a song. The full song goes like this

உண்ணும் சோறு பருகும் நீர் தின்னும் வெற்றிலையும் எல்லாம்
    கண்ணன்* எம்பெருமான் என்னென்றே கண்கள் நீர் மல்கி*
    மண்ணினுள் அவன் சீர் வளமிக்க அவனூர் வினவி *
    திண்ணம் என் இளமான் புகுமூர் திருக்கோளூரே*

Oh my dears, for my girl, the food she eats is Kannan, the water she drinks is Kannan. Even the betel leaf she enjoys chewing is Kannan. Everything is Kannan to her. She thinks of the Lord and is continuously shedding tears. And so crying she enquired about his glory, about his fertile town, Thirukkollur. I am sure my girl who looks like a young deer is sure to enter Thirukollur, her Lord's place.

Thirukkollur is a town in Kerala and the Lord's temple there is one of the 108 Divyadesams. The Lord is called Vaitha Maanithi Perumal வைத்த மாநிதிப் பெருமாள்

There is another special feature for this pathikam (a set of 11 songs) Many of the teachers who tried to explain the word meaning just broke down crying and could never bring themselves to explain the meaning.

In another place in the padhikam the mother talks about her girl who is in love with the Lord. She says whenever her daughter finds anything good she will immediately reserve it for Kannan. Whatever is good in the world should belong only to her Kannan.

காரியம் நல்லனகள் அவை காணில் என் கண்ணனுக்கென்று*
    ஈரியாயிருப்பாள்...
    That's bakthi at its highest.

I am sorry Kamla I used this place to quote further. Somehow your fb inspired me to share these things with you.

love,
    sridhar

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    Very touching and interesting episode. I read Logu's part twice.
    These stories really brings your mind at peace.
    i read your PM but that time i never had much time on hand so thought of reading it at the right time. So I am late in these stories. As i wish to concentrate and read them. Not just in hurry burry.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar

Story was nicely narrated and am sure brought goose bumps to every reader.

I remember reading this story long back and feel like sharing it here. Who does God love the most ? A devotee was taking his name throughout the day and wanted God to appear in front of him somehow and say I love you because you take my name so many times in a day. Instead God came to him and said "Please go to certain place and look at a farmer - I only love him". The devotee was disappointed as to why a simple farmer.

But when he actually went to the spot saw the farmer, he was taken aback. In spite of being so occupied round the clock he did not forget chanting Lords name.

9. varalotti

Dear bas,

thanks for the fb, for the standing ovation on the Net and for those great words which made my day on that day. Sorry to know about the viral attack; but happy to know that this KPs writings had some soothing effect.

Those one and a half lines does not merely summarize Gita but the entire spirituality. I had the pleasure of reading Gita though it was mostly like that basket trying to hold water. But even in a porous basket some water drops will stick, you know. Like that some of the Gita's lessons are ingrained in me.
    But Nammazhwar's work is totally different. This is another instance where the devotee overtakes the Lord, hands down.

There is a conversation in one of the commentaries. Where one person asks, what's the difference between a person who knows Gita and the one who knows Thiruvaimozhi?
    The other person replies: If a Gita exponent visits a village they will just like that receive him and give some food to him and make him stay in some dilapidated house at the edge of the village.
    But if a person who knows Thiruvaimozhi (Nammazhwar's composition) visits the village the entire village will be out to receive him. He will be given Royal food three times in a day and the best house in the village will be vacated for his comfortable stay.
    Unfortunately bas, I could not communicate the entire glory of Azhwar's work. Gita makes you think, admire and appreciate. Thiruvaamozhi makes you cry, sob and fall in love with that Great Lord who wrote the Gita.

May you have a nice, hassle-free journey and may you reach your base safely on 7th May well in time for OMG 7.
    love,
    boost

10. varalotti

Dear Pooja,
    You are most welcome. Thanks for those kind words. Looking forward to your detailed fb.
    love,
    vara