1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Episode 4

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Apr 17, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="time"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:aAvarangal; panose-1:2 11 3 3 2 0 0 2 0 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-2146434973 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    OH MY GOD!
    A Series By Varalotti Rengasamy
    Episode 4

The time was <st1:time minute="30" hour="11">half past eleven</st1:time> in the night. Their bedroom was absolutely silent but for the sound of the ceiling fan.

Arvind had not switched on the room air conditioner as Yamini was having a viral fever. The girls were sleeping with their grandparents downstairs.

Yamini woke up with a violent cough. Arvind was up too in no time. He held Yamini in his arms. Then he took hot water from the flask and gave it to her. Yamini slowly sipped the hot water. She felt better.

Yamini spoke in a weak voice.

“Arvind, can you please give me another dose of cough syrup? I don’t feel like sleeping now. I don’t want to disturb your sleep by coughing again.”

“Oh, dear, dear! You have already had an overdose of cough syrup.”

“But I can’t sleep now.”

“There are better ways to induce sleep than that 4% alcohol mixture.”

“For example..”

“I will tell you a story.”

“But then you also can’t sleep.”

“So what?”

“You’ll feel sleepy for the whole of tomorrow, buddhu.”

“I’ll sleep in the morning. That’s one of the privileges of a freelance writer. Besides I don’t think there is anything more important in the world than telling a story to one’s wife especially if she’s ready to hear it.”

“You are a master story teller. I am always ready to hear your stories. Tell me what story have you got for me today?”

Only yesterday I uncovered a bunch of papers in my father’s safe. They are not property documents. You know KG apart from his interest in religion was a good writer as well. He has written a lot of stories.

“He has made it abundantly clear that the stories are mere works of fiction. But I am still amazed at the depth of the meaning they contain. It makes me even sadder that I never tried to understand him as a man and as a friend.”

Arvind let out a long sigh. There were tears in his eyes.

“You have now understood, Arvind. I am sure He is watching you from up above and is quite happy about what you are doing. I am sure he will be boasting to God, “See what a fine son, I have.”

Arvind held his wife’s hands.

“Thank you dear.”

“What kind of story is this?”

“In this story KG has lashed out at the “miracle-mongers” – those who always look for some kind of miracles, some kind of suspension of the laws of nature. The miracle mongers are perfectly blind to the greatest of miracles - Our life, this world and God’s love.”

“That’s nice to hear. Come on, I can wait to hear the story.”

“Let me warn you this is pure fiction. But as all my Dad’s stories go, it contains a very profound truth.”

2. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:aAvarangal; panose-1:2 11 3 3 2 0 0 2 0 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-2146434973 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 2

It was a Friday. Vasu had just returned from work. He was working as a clerk in a public sector bank.

His wife Sharada, a gifted home-maker, welcomed him with a broad smile and then gave him a cup of hot South Indian filter coffee. They had been married only two months ago.

Sharada was an ardent devotee of the Queen of Madurai, Meenakshi Amman. Ever since Sharada’s childhood days she had never failed to visit the temple at least once in a week.

On her wedding night she told her husband that she was thrilled by the marriage for the only reason that the groom was living in <st1:city><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:city>. And that they should visit the temple at least once every week preferably on Fridays.

Fortunately for her Vasu himself was a fierce devotee of the holy mother. That strengthened their marital relationship right from day one.

Sharada avoided the evening rush hours and invariably visited the temple either late in the night or very early in the morning.

3. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="time"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 3

The couple visited the temple that Friday around a <st1:time minute="45" hour="8">quarter to nine</st1:time> in the night. There was not much crowd in the temple. The famous Chithra Festival got over only the previous week and that explained the absence of crowds.

When they entered the sanctum sanctorum there was practically nobody there except the priest-in-charge and an old sweeper who was cleaning the floor.

The priest knew the couple very well and he invited them inside to have a better Dharshan of Meenakshi.

As the priest was doing the usual pooja Sharada and Vasu closed their eyes and were praying to the Mother. Sharada opened her eyes and saw the beautiful form of mother.

Legend has it that the statue is made of precious green stone. There was so much of love in the eyes of the Mother that Sharada was reminded of what she had heard from her grandmother when she was a child.

The Queen of Madurai got her name Meenakshi, because her eyes are like fish. That was in one way apt because fish was the symbol of the <st1:place><st1:placename>Pandia</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Kingdom</st1:placetype></st1:place> headquartered in <st1:city><st1:place>Madurai</st1:place></st1:city>.

But Sharada’s grandmother had given another explanation for the name. Unlike the other forms of life a fish can quench the hunger of its little ones by merely seeing them. In the same way the Queen of the <st1:city><st1:place>Temple City</st1:place></st1:city> can shatter our troubles and give us our ‘food’ just by seeing us.

Not even a direct glance is necessary. Enough if she glances through the remotest corner of her long eyes. Like some great masters who can enlighten their disciples by merely looking at them the Madurai Arasi can give “nayana dheekshai” to her devotees.

4. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 4

Angayarkanni’s (am=beautiful kayal= fish kanni= the one who has the eyes (beautiful like a fish) face was glowing by the light of the oil lamps lit in the sannidhi. The priest had finished his pooja and had become silent.

Suddenly everything became absolutely silent. There was now nobody in the sannidhi. Even the sweeper had finished his work and gone away. Vasu felt as if the earth had stopped spinning on its axis. He could not bear the weight of the silence.

His body shivered for no reason. Vasu was sure that something significant was going to happen.

As if on cue he turned suddenly to look at his wife. Sharada’s eyes were closed. But her face was dazzling with some kind of heavenly light.

Vasu saw the Mother and then again saw his wife. He was sure that his wife’s face had an unusual glow. Did he see a halo around her face? He was not sure.

Vasu could see that Sharada’s body was trembling. She was gently swaying. Vasu was sure that his wife was possessed.

Vasu was stunned. At that time the priest had lit a deepam and was showing it before the Mother. As the priest started uttering the mantra, Sharada’s body shook again. She was soon back to normal. The halo in her face was gone. She was not swaying any longer.

Vasu could not explain that phenomenon. But he was sure that something very significant had just happened. And that it was better not to broach this to his dear wife for the time being.

The couple got the Prasadam and came out of the sanctum sanctorum. Vasu was still looking at his wife. Sharada was puzzled.

“What happened dear? Why are you looking at me like that? Is my hair undone? Is my bindi all right?”

“Oh, nothing honey. You look very beautiful today. I cannot take my eyes off your face.”

“We are in the temple, mind it. We are standing in Her presence. If you want to flirt with me, wait till we go home.”

Vasu gave the surplus kumkumam in his hand to his wife. When his hand brushed his wife’s he could sense some electric current passing through his body. No that was not because of lust or infatuation.

Something had happened to Sharada. Let me better be careful, thought Vasu.

As they came out the sannidhi Vasu folded his hands again towards the Queen of Madurai.

“Amma, what did you do to Sharada? She’s your child. Please take care of her.”

5. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 5

They went around the sannidhi and started walking towards the Swami Sannidhi. As they were getting down the steps they saw, Lakshmi, their next door neighbour. Lakshmi was three years younger to Sharada and the two women were very good friends.

“Lakshmi, you know very well that I come to temple every Friday. Why didn’t you come with me? Why should you come alone, this late in the night?”

Akka, I didn’t plan to come. But suddenly …. I felt.. I couldn’t… stay home.. Wanted…”

Sharada found out that Lakshmi was in some kind of crisis. Otherwise she would not have run to the temple at this late hour all alone.

Sharada held Lakshmi’s hands and talked to her in a reassuring manner.

“I see something is eating your insides. Why don’t you tell me, Lakshmi? I will try to help.”

“Akka.. Akka.. Akka..”

Lakshmi broke down crying. Vasu was watching the scene unfolding before him. Sharada gently placed her hand on Lakshmi’s shoulders and talked to her in a soothing tone.

“Lakshmi, we are standing in our Mother’s presence. Whatever may be your problem, just speak it out.

“Our Meena Madam has destroyed many mighty demons and Rakshasas. If she just half-blinks her lovely eyes, all your troubles would be burnt to ashes. Why should you worry, then? Tell me dear, what happened?”

“It’s all because of my husband’s new boss. Ever since the new manager took over my man is in hell. That scoundrel always finds faults with his work. He shouts at my husband every day.

“Twice in a week he issues a charge sheet to him. Every day my husband returns from work like a dead man. The Manager is threatening to suspend him on serious fabricated charges.

“Yesterday was the worst, Akka. My husband was in charge of cash. Somehow or other fifty thousand Rupees disappeared from the cash-box. My man is innocent. The Manager gave him real hell and has sent him out with a warning. If my husband does not pay up within two days, he would be fired. And they would file a police complaint against him.

“My man is crying. We don’t have that kind of money. He has been repeatedly telling that suicide is the only way out. I am afraid, Akka. I am really, afraid.

“If this injustice can happen in Her own town, in Her presence, under Her very nose, do you think she is really our Mother?”

“SHUT UP.”

Vasu was taken aback by Sharada’s outburst. When he turned to look at his wife’s face he was even more shocked. The same glow which he saw in her face a few minutes ago had returned.

Though Sharada had shouted there was no anger, grief or concern in her face. There was nothing but boundless compassion in her beautiful face.

“Oh, Lakshmi, don’t blame the Mother. She knows what is to be done and when. I can clearly see what’s happening right now.”

The tone of Sharada’s voice was so different that Vasu and Lakshmi exchanged puzzled glances. Sharada was oblivious of the surroundings. When she spoke again it was with the voice of the Holy Mother. Even Sharada’s smile was divine.

“Go home, Lakshmi. All your problems will be solved. Don’t worry. All of you eat well and have a nice sleep. When you wake up tomorrow morning all your problems would have gone. Believe me.”

It was not the consolation given by a friend. But the reassurance given by the Almighty God Herself.

Lakshmi was relieved.

“Akka, you talk like the Meenakshi Herself. I see that you have her prasadam in your hand. Please apply the kumkumam on my forehead and bless our family, Akka.”

Sharada took the kumkumam and applied it on Lakshmi’s forehead. When Sharada’s hand touched Lakshmi, she shivered. Vasu was now trembling in fear.

When Lakshmi went away from them Sharada became her normal self. But Vasu kept a respectable distance from her. And they never talked till they reached home.

6. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="time"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 6

Vasu could not sleep that night. Every now and then he was looking at Sharada who was by his side. The couple observed Friday as a ‘clean day.’

Sharada also did not sleep. She kept on tossing and turning in her bed. When the clock in the hall announced the <st1:time minute="0" hour="0">midnight</st1:time> hour she got up. She started walking towards the small pooja room in the house. Vasu followed suit.

A large picture of Madurai Meenakshi was there in their Pooja room. Sharada sat before the picture, closed her eyes and started meditating. But for the small oil lamp there was total darkness in the house.

Vasu was afraid to stay there any longer. He slipped away. He never knew when he slept. He was woken up by Lakshmi’s screams.

7. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 7

Lakshmi was calling Sharada on the top of her voice. Vasu ran to the door.

As soon as Sharada opened the door Lakshmi fell at her feet like an uprooted tree. Sharada lifted her and held her in her arms. Lakshmi was in a state of excitement.

“Sharadakka, you are Meenakshi Herself. You have the divine power. You are a clairvoyant. When you told me yesterday that everything would be fine tomorrow I felt an extraordinary sense of peace. I intuitively knew what you said was true. And it has become true, Akka.”

“Tell me what happened, Lakshmi”

“That rascal, the new Manager had swindled the money and he had put the blame on my husband. He was travelling to <st1:city><st1:place>Madras</st1:place></st1:city> by car yesterday. There was a gruesome road accident and he died on the spot. They have found out the stolen cash in the car. The news came just now. “

Vasu felt butterflies flying in his stomach. He was constantly looking at his wife’s face. There was no glow, no halo, nothing. It was her usual ordinary face.

“You are mistaken, Lakshmi. I don’t have any divine powers. When you told me that suicide was the only option I was really worried. That’s why I gave a blind assurance.

“The only thing I did was that I sincerely prayed for you. This accident is just a coincidence. It’s only our Mother’s Grace. Don’t forget to go to the temple today to thank Her.”

Vasu was not sure whether Lakshmi bought Sharada’s bland explanation. She was talking something else for a few minutes and was gone.

8. varalotti

Part 8

Now Vasu wanted to know the truth. He knew the way. He had his bath. Before having his breakfast he grabbed his wife’s hands and took her to the Pooja room. He lit a small lamp beneath the picture of Meenakshi.

“Sharada, we are standing before our Mother. Tell me the truth. When you talked to Lakshmi yesterday you were sure something like this accident would surely happen.

“You should have had some moments of vision during which time you saw the future as if it were happening before your eyes. Am I right?”

“You are.”

“Then why did you deny that power to Lakshmi?”

Sharada did not speak for a while. She was looking at the Holy Mother. She was probably debating whether she should tell the entire truth to her husband. A flower fell from the Mother’s picture. Sharada had got her orders. She let out a long sigh and started the narration.

“You are right, dear. Even when Lakshmi was talking about her problem the accident scene was running in the back screen of my mind, though the accident was to happen a few hours later.

“I can even tell you the details which you can check with today’s papers. That rascal was driving his own red colour Maruthi Esteem car. He was hit by a lorry carrying gas cylinders coming on the opposite direction.

“And our Mother has a fine sense of humour. For I could even see the words Angayarkanni Roadlines written on the face of the lorry.”

“Are you kidding, Sharada? You have the powers of a clairvoyant. The Mother has descended on you. You have got the rare power of foreseeing the future. Why didn’t you tell the truth to Lakshmi?”

“I prayed to the Holy Mother last night. I begged Her to take back the powers of clairvoyance. I begged her to let me remain an ordinary person without any extra powers or privileges. My Mother, blessed for ever be Her name, has been kind enough to grant my prayer. I now feel that a great burden has been lifted off my heart.”

“You could have become a big shot with that kind of power. Millions of people would come looking for you. We can do a lot of good things from the contributions they give. We can build a free hospital, good schools and do many good things for the people. Why did you give back those powers?”

“I am not interested, dear. I just want to be her ordinary devotee. One of the several millions of her devotees who are happy enough to see Her beautiful form and pray for Her love and blessings. I am not keen in knowing about the future.

“Enough if I have the love of the Mother, the Kala Bhairavi, who has all the Time and Space within the pupil of Her eyes. What’s the point in knowing the future? We’ll be only more confused. Whatever may be the future, to meet it squarely on its face with the help of Her grace - well, that’s more than enough for me..

“There is another issue, dear. If people come to know that I have those divine powers then I’d be made a demi- God. I could not do my duties to my family, to you or to our children. Do you know what I told our Mother?

‘Oh Amma, if you think that being a good housewife and doing her duties to her family is no less holy than being a clairvoyant and solving the problems of thousands of people, then please take back these powers.

“Let me remain your most ordinary devotee. Fill my mind with love for you and my fellow beings. Let all the powers be with You, Amma. Don’t give me any of them. Please give me as much of your Love as you can.

I woke up this morning as an ordinary woman without any powers.”

Vasu was lost in admiration. He did not speak for a while. Then he talked in a choked voice.

“You know something, Sharada? When my parents were busy looking for a girl for me, my only prayer to my Mother was, ’I don’t mind if the girl is ugly, uneducated or poor. She should be more loving than me and she should be your devotee.’

“For 48 days I survived on liquid food and was going to Her temple everyday with this prayer constantly in my heart.

“If only I had known that I would get somebody like you, I would have fasted for 400 days and would have visited her temple three times in a day.

Even then it would not have been enough. Meena Madam has given me more than I wanted. Much more than I really deserve.”

Sharada held her husband in her arms. They were silent for a while.

“Oh, dear, we will have to go to the temple today as well. To thank Her for granting my prayer.”

MSNR likes this.
  9. varalotti

Part 9

“Arvind, the story does not look like fiction. Mother’s love and Sharada’s devotion are very real. Hats off to the great KG.”

“Thanks honey.”

“And hats off to the most handsome writer in the world, the most loving husband and the greatest story teller.”

“Oh dear..dear..”

Arvind bent down to kiss her on cheeks. The story and the kiss did much more than two teaspoons of cough syrup. Very soon Yamini lapsed into a deep, dreamless sleep.

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar

I am speechless. May Madurai Meenakshi bless you and your family.
    I read the story in one stretch. I think I am the one to give the first fb.

love and blesings
    viji