1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Episode 14

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jul 3, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDEEPAS%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    OH MY GOD!

A Series By Varalotti Rengasamy

Episode 14

The time was half past six in the evening. Arvind was seated on the swing in the terrace. He was editing the religion-forum post for the week.

Yamini saw Arvind and started walking towards him with a concerned look on her face.

“If you are busy now I will come later.”

“I will never be busy for you dear. Looks like you are a little troubled. What’s the problem?”

“It’s the girls. Of late they do not eat at all. I am really worried.”

Arvind smiled.

“I think the mothers the world over have the same problem. When the child does not eat up the arbitrary quantity of food they have fixed their minds on, they are worried. Remember what the Doctor said? So long as the child is active and robust we can safely presume that the child’s food intake is all right.”

“You men are always like that. Testing some modern theory on the hapless children. You will never know a mother’s heart.”

“Oh My God! You are offended.. I’m sorry. Now tell me what should I do.”

“Today I am going to try out a new technique. I am going to tell a story to them when I feed them.”

“Oh My God! Once again! Please don’t tell me that you were not telling stories to them till now.”

“I am neither KG nor Arvind. I don’t have a reserve of stories.”

“You can tell KG’s stories.”

“But will they understand?”

“Something like Malya’s story or Loganathan’s story may not go well with children. But there are a lot others. Of course you can bring out a children’s edition of the story.”

“ “

“Yamini, these stories are timeless. Even if the girls do not understand the stories now they will never forget them. The stories would grow with them. And one day they will understand the meaning even better than we do.”

“Ok. Now be a good boy and tell me a good story for the girls. I will relay it to them in my own words.”

“Just now I got the story for this week ready. I will read it out to you. “

Yamini looked around. Nobody was there. They girls normally had their supper around half past seven, a full one hour from now.

She lied down on Arvind’s lap and looked at his kind face.

“I’m all ears, KG sir.”

2. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDEEPAS%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 2

The period was eighth century.

The Gurukulam was busy right from the wee hours of the morning. The teacher, a revered Vedic Scholar, had about twenty students in the current batch.

The students stayed with the teacher and did the household chores. In return they were given free board and lodging apart from free lessons. The children’s parents gave grains, vegetables or some gold coins, or whatever they could afford.

The education was the same to the rich man’s son who had given a bunch of gold coins to the teacher or to the poor priest’s son who had just given a measure of rice and a raw plantain.

In the Gurukulam system there were no periods, classes or exams; nor there were any working days and holidays. They learnt throughout the day and all the days in a week. Learning for them was a stress free co-operative activity and not the rat race for scoring high marks.

That did not mean that the learning was unstructured. In fact it had a far more beautiful structure than the Western Education we have today. The main academic term would start some where in August-September along with the Avani Avittam ceremony. (Remember we do chant the mantram Vedarambam karishyami, which literally means that I am beginning to learn Vedas from now on)

Study of Vedas would go on till the middle of January. From then on till August or September the syllabus would be light – puranas, ithikasas and other stories.

It was an off-term (Jan to August) period and the Guru was recounting stories from our timeless puranas. On that Friday he was telling the story of Prahalada, of the Narasimha Avatar, of the loving Lord who was there always to protect his devotee from the murderous intentions of his father.

All the students were listening with rapt attention. But one bright boy stood apart from the rest. He was continuously shedding tears as he heard the teacher speak about the love of the lion-faced Lord.

When the teacher dramatically explained the birth of Narasimha from the pillar which the demon Hiranya chose to strike with his own hand.. well the student was so overwhelmed with emotions that he fainted. The teacher sprinkled water over his face, administered some first aid and woke him up from a state of trance.

The name of the student was Sanandhana. The Guru could easily discern that the eighteen year old boy had a natural affinity for Lord Narasimha.

3. varalotti

Part 3

When the Guru went to sleep that night Sanandhana offered himself to massage his teacher’s legs. The Guru was about to doze off to sleep but was startled when he felt something warm on his legs. Yes, they were Sanandhana’s tears. The Guru sat up on his bed.

He could see that the boy was crying.

“Why are you crying my child? What happened? Did somebody hurt you?”

“No, Gurudeva. I am thinking of the story of Lord Narasimha. He should be a very kind Lord. Isn’t He?”

“Yes, He is, my boy. We should not be deceived by his frightening appearance. His love for us is so great that he put upon himself that ghastly appearance – half lion and half man, just to save the world from the clutches of evil.”

“And Gurudeva every time Prahalada was in trouble He was there to save him. When Hiranya pushed him to death from the top of the hill the kind Lord extended his hands to hold him. When the demon commanded his Royal Elephant to trample over the boy the Lord appeared as a roaring lion and scared the elephant away.

“When Prahalada was forced to drink the deadliest of poisons, our Lord by his mere looks converted it into sweet nectar. Every time even before the danger appeared on the horizon our Lord was ready with his protective shield.

“What a love, Gurudeva! I am just wondering Acharya, will he show the same kind of love to somebody like me?”

The Guru was touched by the outpourings from Sanandhana.

“Gurudeva I am not as devoted as Prahalada. I am not as great as him. Will he be there for me when I need him? If something happens to me will he guard me?”

The learned Acharya hugged the boy. He now knew for sure that he had a “natural” before him. A natural devotee like Sanandhana had always remained an “once in a blue moon” phenomenon.

The Master decided to give special attention to the boy from then on so that he blossomed into his natural devoted self.

“Yes, my boy. Our Lord has repeatedly assured us in various scriptures that He would be there for us. He is so full of love that he does not discriminate based on the degree of our devotion.

“To him Prahalada and Sanandhana are one and the same. So He will be there for you, whenever you need Him.”

“Thanks a lot, Gurudeva. I feel blessed after hearing your words.”

“Do you want anything, my child?”

“Gurudeva I hate to disturb your sleep. But if it is okay with you I would love to hear the story of Narasimha once again.”

It was late in the night. There was no light in the room but for a small oil lamp in the corner.

The Guru was happy that his disciple asked for the right thing.

He started telling the story of the Lord again, this time in a more elaborate manner explaining the nuances of the various slokas in the Purana.

Thereafter it became the regular practice. Whenever his Guru was pleased with his services and asked him what he wanted he would only ask for the story of Narasimha.

The story went deep into Sanandhana’s heart and soon he developed a longing to see the lion-faced Lord. One night he expressed his longing to his Guru.

The Guru was quite happy and asked him to wait till his formal education was over.

4. varalotti

Part 4

Finally the day of convocation came. There were no elaborate speeches, or uncomfortable academic gowns or expensive parties or synchronized throwing of academic caps. It was a simple, solemn farewell ceremony.

The parents had come to collect their wards.

The teacher had a kind word of advice for every boy. Though the Guru did not demand anything as tuition fees the boys’ parents had something to give – a bag of grain, some fruits, some gold coins, silver vessels or vegetables grown in their house. The Guru sent off all the boys except of course Sanandhana.

“My son, thousands are called but only a few are chosen. And you are amongst the chosen few. Stay with me for two more weeks. On the New Moon day I will teach you the holiest of mantras.”

Sanandhana was delighted. The Guru told his parents that their boy had a sacred calling and that they should not expect him to live an average householder’s life.

The parents went away partly sad because their boy would not have a normal family life and partly happy because their boy would one day become a great saint.

On the New Moon day the Guru took the boy to the river that was flowing nearby. And while the boy was standing in hip-deep water the teacher whispered the holiest of mantras into his ears.

That was the Narasimha Moola Mantra and is rightly called the King of Mantras, Mantra Rajam. The Guru repeated the mantra three times and made Sanandhana chant it. He explained the meaning of the words. He then corrected his pronunciation and then placed his hand on his head to bless him.

“Sanandhana, this is the time. I will walk with you till the edge of the nearby forest. You will have to go into the forest and find a calm place for yourself. Then start chanting the mantra. You should do it a million times and more. I am sure that the kind Lord will appear before you and bless you. “

The Master and Disciple walked for about an hour without uttering a word. As they reached the edge of the forest the Master blessed his disciple once again.

“Remember that you will have to chant the mantra with absolute concentration thinking only of the Lord’s love. He is such a kind Lord that He would reveal his glorious form to you. So long, my boy. May you always be blessed.”

5. varalotti

Part 5

Things should have progressed naturally from then on. But there was a problem.

When the Master segregated Sanandhana from the rest of the crowd, when Sanandhana heard the Master telling him that he was one amongst thousands to be chosen by the Lord, when he heard the Master telling his parents that he was not cut out for an average life of an average householder… well, somewhere down the line the most lethal virus crept into his mind – the name of the virus was spiritual pride

Our puranas are full of deadly devils and demons. But there is nothing more deadlier than spiritual pride. In fact spiritual pride in a way is worse than the demon Hiranya.

If the same Sanandhana who was crying on hearing the Lord’s story had come down to the forest to see the Lord, the Lord would have lovingly come to him in no time.

The Lord would not have even waited till he chanted the mantra a million times. But this was a different Sanandhana. There was now less of love and more of pride.

The Lord was sad that the boy could not get his dharshan. Of course our Lord was not mean enough to punish the young boy for his pride. But surely he decided to do something to remove the pride from the boy’s heart.

It was more like chemo-therapy and equally painful because spiritual pride is embedded in the deepest parts of our ego. But our Lord is the most skilful of surgeons who can effortlessly remove the cancerous cells without injuring the healthy ones.

Sanandhana walked for about a mile into the thick forest and soon found a clearing. There was even a mud-seat ready for him. He sat on the seat, assumed the yogic lotus posture, closed his eyes and started chanting the King of Mantras aimed at the lion-faced Lord.

Later in the afternoon he stood up from his seat walked around to pick up a few roots and fruits for his lunch. A little later he resumed his chanting. The Lord had a mischievous smile on his beautiful lips.

6. varalotti

Part 6

“Saami… Saami…. Saamiyov….”

Sanandhana was woken up from his trance. He opened his eyes with irritation to see a hunter standing before him.

The hunter had a bow and a pouch of arrows balanced on his broad shoulders. There was blood on his face. He should have eaten some animal a little while ago and had not cared to wash himself up.

“Saami.. “

The hunter was pleading.

“Yes tell me, what do you want. Don’t you see I am engaged in a very important work, a divine assignment? I don’t have any time to waste on people like you.”

“Forgive me, Saami. I was just wondering what are you doing in this forest. Don’t you know that this place would be inhabited by ferocious lions, mad elephants, bears and tigers, in the night? I am just curious to know what makes you risk your life in this godforsaken place.”

Sanandhana thought for a moment. He could not tell the truth to this idiot. He would never understand.

At the same time if he did not say anything the hunter would be pestering him again and again. So he had to say something that would distract the hunter from him. His learned mind hit upon a brilliant idea.

“I am looking for a strange animal in this forest. My teacher wants the animal to be captured.”

“Oh, really! You see, Saami, I have been living in this forest for donkey’s years. I know virtually every animal that lives here. Of course I kill some of them for my food.

“But unlike the city-bred men I don’t kill animals just for sport or entertainment. And I don’t kill anything unless I am hungry and unless I can eat the animal I have killed. Oh, I am boring you with my life philosophy!

“Sorry, but Saami if you want to catch that animal, come let’s go searching for it. You can’t catch any animal just by sitting idle in one place. Are you by any chance thinking that the animal would come to you of its own and let you catch it?”

The hunter had a hearty laugh at the expense of the young man.

“Oh my dear hunter, this animal can’t be caught with your usual weapons. It’s different. I am casting some magic spells to make the animal come to me.”

“Saami, can you please describe the animal for me?”

Sanandhana then went on to describe Lord Narasimha Himself.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. varalotti

Part 7

“The animal’s face would look like that of a ferocious lion. But its eyes would be very soft. The body is that of a normal human being. It is very ferocious. It can spit fire. It can tear a larger than life size demon in a matter of seconds. You will have to be very careful with the animal. It can kill from a distance.”

“Saami, don’t bluff. I know every single animal in this forest. I swear on God that there is no such animal here. Half lion, half man. You should be kidding.”

“I too swear on God. There is an animal like that in this forest. “

“Oh, Saami, you should not swear. With me it is okay. I am after all an illiterate hunter. But you look like a learned Brahman. Now that you have sworn I am sure that there is such an animal here in the forest. I will get it for you, Saami.”

“You can’t, my man, you can’t.” Sanandhana’s laugh was quite derisive.

The hunter was offended. He hid his feelings and talked in a sad voice.

“Saami, if you are sure that the animal is there in this forest then I am sure that I will catch it. “

“You can’t. That’s for sure.”

The hunter was hurt.

“Saami, are you throwing up a challenge for me?”

“Why not?”

“Ok, Saami. I accept the challenge. I will have the animal bound and drag it all the way to this place before tomorrow evening.”

“If you can’t do it..”

“I will quit hunting altogether and die of starvation.”

“Deal. But if you are able to do it, I will salute you.”

“Deal.”

8. varalotti

Part 8

The hunter left the place in a hurry. He started searching for the strange animal - the one with a lion’s face and human body, with soft eyes and sharp claws.

By that night he had scored every inch of the forest but the animal was not there.

He then vowed to himself. “Oh, deceitful animal, you are playing hide and seek with me! I now swear that I wont eat or drink anything before I catch you. God promise.”

He did not sleep that night.

When he could not find the animal till next morning he started developing a kind of respect and admiration for the animal. Hunters normally respect those animals which do not fall an easy prey. This animal had been the most elusive by far.

The hunter who used to eat something like one and a half kilos of animal flesh for every meal had not eaten anything since the previous morning.

His legs were becoming weaker and weaker. His body was pleading with him for an hour’s nap. But he would not budge.

Deprived of food and sleep his mind lost all the strength and now he started begging the animal which he could not see. He was constantly thinking of the form of the animal as described by Sanandhana.

“Oh my dear animal, the Sami said that though you were quite scary your eyes would be soft. Which means you should be very loving. Won’t you have mercy on this idiot?

“Won’t you appear before me so that I can present you to the young saint? I promise on my dead mother that I won’t harm you. Please, my dear animal, I will do whatever you want me to. But please come before me.”

It was late in the afternoon. The animal was still at large. Just two hours were left for the agreed deadline to end. If he could not capture the animal before the deadline ended then the hunter would have to quit hunting. And should die of starvation.

“Instead of dying that ignoble death, why don’t I die right now?” – the hunter thought.

He decided to end his life by jumping off the high cliff at the edge of the forest. And before he took the plunge he focused his mind on the animal.

The man had been a hunter all his life. He never had the chance to know about God or finer aspects of life. He was thinking of the animals to be hunted all the time. Now he was thinking of nothing but the strange animal the young Brahman boy had so vividly described.

“Oh my dear animal, you should be a great beast. And a smart one too. I know for sure that you wont let yourself be bound by some ignoramus like me.

“After all the young Sami was right. You could be captured only by casting a magic spell over you. But you see I am a brute who knows nothing about magic or spells. I am already an uneducated fool and made a perfect fool of myself by accepting the challenge thrown by the young man.

“And now I am going to end my life. Wherever you are please let me have a look at you at least once. This is my death wish.”

As he saw the valley below, as the thought of imminent death filled his mind his focus on the lion-faced animal was total and absolute.

Nanoseconds before he took the plunge he heard a lion talk.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  9. varalotti

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDEEPAS%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:CK-Ava; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 9

Yes, it was a lions roar, but what came out was human language.

“STOP”

The hunter stopped and looked in the direction of the sound.

There the animal described by Sanandhana was standing in all glory. It did have a lions face. The body was human. It had claws instead of nails. It had long curved teeth at the either side of the mouth.

It was standing very tall around fifteen feet from the ground. If it was just a specie of animal then the hunter should have screamed in fear. It was not.

The illiterate hunter felt in his heart a rare peace that was beyond all human comprehension. He no longer felt hungry, thirsty or tired. Without his knowing his eyes started shedding copious tears.

When he set out the previous day to capture the animal he had strung his bow and was eager to take a shot. But now no such thought could come near him.

The animal looked ferocious. Ironically the hunter wanted to protect the animal from any harm. He could not take his eyes off the animal.

He heard some Vedic chanting in the background but being an out and out forest man could not make head or tail out of it. The hunter had slipped into a state of timelessness.

And then the animal spoke to him in soft words.

“You looked for me everywhere but not behind this pupil tree. I was sleeping over here.”

When the animal spoke the hunter cried even more. He wanted to say so many things. But no word would come out of his mouth.

The animal smiled at him with all the affection in the world. Seeing the smile the uneducated hunter lapsed into violent sobs.

Finally the animal commanded him,

“Come on man, you do not have all the time in the world. The deadline is hardly an hour away and we have a long way to go.”

“But… I .. <st1:place w:st="on">I.</st1:place> … had… told him.. that …. I would ….. have you… bound…..and drag you to his place….”

The animal had a hearty laugh.

“Then what are you waiting for? Bind me and drag me.”

10. varalotti

Part 10

And then the unthinkable happened.

The One who could not be bound by the eternal Vedas, the one who could not be bound by the immortal Devas and Rishis, the one whom the spoken word went in search of and returned empty handed along with the mind, yatho vacho nivarthanthe apraapya manasa saha, the One who is the substratum of all existence, the One who can create and destroy a billion universes before we half-blink our eyes, that Almighty, the Omnipotent, Omnipresent and the Omniscient being let itself be bound by the illiterate hunter with shoots, leaves and tree-barks.

The hunter was sobbing all the time.

When he was tying the rope made of shoots over the legs of the animal his hands accidentally brushed against the animal’s large feet. He was stunned into silence.

He felt the Universal love gushing through him. When the binding was complete he told the animal in a feeble voice.

“Oh Mighty Animal, I can’t remain even for a second without seeing you. Will you please let me walk backwards so that I can always keep my eyes on your beautiful form?”

“As you wish, my child. But won’t you fall down or get yourself hurt by trees and bushes when you walk backwards?”

“I don’t care a damn even if I am hurt and bleeding. But I can’t take my eyes off your wonderful form.”

“Ok. Start walking. We have a long way to go.”

The two-some procession started moving. The ‘animal’ ensured out of its boundless love that the hunter was not hurt by anything on the way. Just a glance from the remotest corner of the animal’s eyes was more than sufficient to clear all the bushes on the way.

Trees started moving out of the way on their own. The hunter was not walking on an existing path in the forest. Whatever steps he took became a new path from then on.

The hunter forgot even to blink. His eyes was fixed on the animal’s body. He was enjoying the beautiful face , the loving eyes the strong, large bent teeth, the nails in the hand and on the legs. He was crying all the way.

Soon they reached the clearing where young Sanandhana was in meditation.