1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Birthday Special

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Apr 29, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

OH MY GOD!
    A Series By Varalotti Rengasamy
    Birthday Special

Do you know ladies, that today, April 29<sup>th</sup> is the Janma Nakshathiram (Birthday) of the greatest of saints who ever lived?

Of the one and only Sri Ramanujacharya? The one to whom we all belong and hence called Udaiyavar?

The one whose name itself is enough to make us cry in love, if only we know about his life and message?

Today I am going to tell you about a very significant incident in his life. This is something most of you would have known already.

This is an incident quoted in almost all the religious discourses and spiritual texts.
    Yet I dare to write about it again because I want you to know the full story and not any distorted version.

And second I want you to know the significance of that incident in the history of spiritual development of this great country. Are you ready now?
    If you have anything important to do, I would suggest that you do that first and come back to this thread. Because once you finish reading this I want you to meditate on the story for some time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

2. varalotti

Part 2

Ramanuja was being taught the “rahasyartham” – the secret meanings behind the God’s name, called the Thirumanthiram.

Swami Perianambi was teaching and Ramanuja was listening to him with rapt attention. After the classes were over Perianambi called Ramanuja to his side. He placed his hand on his dearest disciple.

“Ramanuja, I have taught whatever I know. You are not like others. Something tells me that you are going to lead a big movement someday. You need to know everything that is to be known.

“It’s high time that you approach Swami Thirukoshtiyur Nambi and learn about the Lord’s name further. He is the only man who can teach you.”

Ramanuja agreed. He was in Srirengam at that time. Walking was the only means of transportation available in those days. Thirukoshtiyur was about four days’ walk from Srirengam.

Ramanuja reached the house of Thirukoshtiyur Nambi, fell at his feet, introduced himself and told him about his mission – to learn the rahasyartham behind the Lord’s name.

Thirukoshtiyur Nambi (TN) saw the tall, fair, young man standing before him. There was so much of love in Ramanuja’s eyes. But that was not sufficient to move TN.

“Ramanuja, the time is not right. Come some other time.”

Ramanuja returned to Srirengam broken-hearted. After a month or so, Ramanuja walked down to Thirukoshtiyur again.

Ramanuja fell at TN’s feet and begged him to teach. TN measured his prospective disciple again and told him the same thing.

“The time is not right.”

Ramanuja walked back to Srirengam with a heavy heart. The records say that this was repeated eighteen times.

Eighteen times the Greatest of Saints walked to Thirukoshtiyur only to be turned down by TN citing one lame excuse or the other.

3. varalotti

Part 3

It so happened that once TN visited Srirengam to have dharshan of Lord Renganatha.

When the Lord saw TN standing before him with folded hands, He remembered the ill-treatment meted out to his child, Ramanuja. The Great Lord manifested as a spirit inside the body of the priest.

TN was waiting to receive the holy water from the Priest. The Priest let the water vessel down and started shouting at TN.

“Who do you think you are? Why did you make Ramanuja walk to your place 18 times? Why don’t you teach him the Thirumanthiram? Thirukoshtiyur Nambi, I warn you, if Ramanuja is hurt one more time, then you had it.”

TN was shaken. After a while he gathered courage and talked back to the Lord.

“My Lord, I am doing my duty. Our sasthras say that unless the disciple serves his Guru for more than a year he can’t be taught the Thirumanthiram.”

“That’s for ordinary mortals, you moron. Not for Ramanujan. He’s special. Very special. He is there on my behalf to start a movement of love. And you can’t hold him back citing some old scriptures. If you want to save your skin teach him the Thirumanthiram the next time he comes for it.”

The priest fainted. TN called another priest and asked him to request Ramanuja to come to Thirukoshtiyur after a week. TN then left for his home town.

Ramanuja was sobbing in love and joy when he heard that the Lord Himself had intervened on his behalf. ‘Do I deserve your love, my Lord?’ he was repeatedly asking Lord Renganatha.

Ramanuja’s joy was short lived. For when he reached Thirukoshtiyur after a week’s time, TN had changed his mind again.

“I’m sorry, Ramanuja. I still feel that the time has not come.”

Ramanuja felt very sad. He was continuously crying on his way back to Srirengam.

‘Oh my dear Lord, I am such a hardened sinner that even after your intervention I could not get mantropadesam from Thirukoshtiyur Nambi. As I told you earlier I don’t deserve your love, my Lord.

‘Please don’t worry on my account. Let it happen whenever it is bound to happen. I can wait, my Lord. I can wait for centuries. Please don’t give any more pressure to Thirukoshtiyur Nambi. How can he be punished for my sin?’

4. varalotti

Part 4
    Ramanuja was back in Srirengam, forgot all about Thirukoshtiyur Nambi and was busy doing service to the Lord. An elderly brahman priest was observing the happenings. He lived in Thirukoshtiyur.

He loved to gossip and was a rumour-monger. He was sure that Ramanuja would be hating TN for his arrogance and impertinence. If only he could make Ramanuja talk about TN.. .. .. .. “Oh My God! What a juicy gossip will I have. I will come back and report it verbatim to TN. And then watch the fun.”

The Brahman walked all the way to Srirengam. Ramanujar was tending to the plants in the temple garden. The Brahman located the Acharya and started talking about TN.

“Swami Ramanuja, you should have walked to our place 19 times. What prevents him from teaching the Thirumanthiram to you?”

Ramanuja was not angry. He was sad. There was no room for hatred in his mind. His mind was so full of love. In that state of sorrow he did not curse TN but rather put the blame on the Lord.

And that too was not borne out of righteous anger but overbearing love. Ramanuja’s response to the rumour-monger was very poetic.

“It’s not fair for the one who adorns Thulasi garlands on his neck. Nor is it fair for the one who has the golden disc in his hand.”

பூந்துழாய் முடியார்க்குத் தகவல்ல, பொன்னாழி கையார்க்குத் தகவல்ல’

The Brahman was shocked. He was expecting that Ramanuja would burst out in rage. Here was a man who did not speak a word ill of the Acharya.

Of the Acharya who made him walk 19 times in vain. Of the teacher who refused to budge even after divine intervention.He was not angry but was in a state of grief. He put the blame on his Lord. And that too was borne out of love and not of anger or hatred.

It was a summer afternoon. They were standing in the garden under the hot sun. The Brahman was oblivious of everything. He fell at Ramanuja’s feet.

Ramanuja lifted him up.

“Swami Ramanuja, I have never seen so much love. Thirukoshtiyur Nambi is delaying the teaching because he has not yet gathered enough merit to have somebody like you as his disciple.

“The fault is his and not yours. I am going back to Thirukoshtiyur right now. I will give my life to see that Thirukoshtiyur Nambi does not delay the teaching any further.”

Before Ramanujar could respond the Brahman ran away.

5. varalotti

Part 5

The Brahman ran all the way to Thirukoshtiyur and went straight to TN’s house.

He told Nambi what Ramanuja had told him and added his own words for good measure.

“Well, if even after all this, you decide to delay teaching that noble man, I am sure even the Loving Lord will not have the heart to forgive you.”

TN was taken aback not merely by the Brahman’s strong words but by Ramanujar’s kind gesture.

“I have decided to teach Ramanuja the moment he comes here. I promise on our Lord. Please do me a favour. Please send word to Ramanuja to come as early as possible.”

“I will go myself.’

The Brahman ran back to Srirengam and asked Ramanuja to come with him to Thirukoshtiyur immediately. Ramanujar was excited.

6. varalotti

Part 6

TN did not disappoint Ramanuja this time. TN also explained the reason behind the inordinate delay. What he was going to tell him was very holy, very sacred and was bound to give enormous privileges to the one who chants it.

But at the same time it should not be taught to unqualified people. To test Ramanuja’s devotion and determination he had to deliberately delay the teaching.

“Promise me one thing Ramanuja. That you won’t teach this to any one until after you put him through the same rigour which I put you through.’
    Ramanuja complied.

The teacher then whispered the name of the Lord in Ramanuja’s ears and explained its meaning and significance.

TN concluded the teaching with strong words:

“Any one who chants that name knowing all its meanings is bound to go to heaven, not the one in which the Indra and Devas are there, but to Paramapadam where our Lord is there. God bless you, Ramanuja.”

7. varalotti

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Part 7

It was early in the evening. Ramanuja could have started walking towards Srirengam. But he did not have the heart do it.

How could he? He had now come across an invaluable treasure and how could he walk away without sharing it with people?

How could he bring himself to enjoy that great treasure all alone, denying the benefit to ordinary people, who were deprived, who had been denied access to proper religious education?

Ramanuja ran to the great <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Sowmyanarayana</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Temple</st1:placetype></st1:place> which was in the heart of Thirukoshtiyur.

The temple had very high walls. With great difficulty Ramanuja climbed the wall and reached the top. Then he called everybody.

It was a clarion call to the people to come and listen. To know about the Lord, his name and the way to his place, the Heavan, the paramapadam. Almost all the people of the town assembled.

Ramanuja thundered the name of the Lord and explained the secret meanings his Guru Thirukoshtiyur Nambi had just explained to him. He encouraged them to chant the name.

There were many untouchables in the crowd. There were people who were forbidden to enter the temples. All of them had the benefit of Ramanuja’s teaching.

Ramanuja finished his lecture and saw the entire crowd. Then he roared like a lion.

“I, Ramanuja, do hereby declare that whosoever is here to listen to the name of the Lord, all of you, men, women and children, without any exception, are Srivaishnavas, God’s own people.”

The people danced in joy.

And somebody went to TN’s house and complained about Ramanuja’s indiscretion. TN ordered that Ramanuja should come and meet him straightaway.

8. varalotti

Part 8

As soon as Ramanuja heard his Guru’s orders he got down from the wall and ran to TN’s house.

TN was standing at the gate. His face was red with anger. His body was shivering in uncontrollable rage.

Ramanuja did not speak anything. He fell at his master’s feet and remained there for a long time.

When we prostrate before our Guru we are not supposed to stand up unless Guru asks us to do so. TN let Ramanuja lie down in the street for a long time.

Then without asking him to get up he started the interrogation.

“Irresponsible fellow! Do you know what is the punishment for a disciple who disobeys his Guru’s orders?”

Ramanuja answered lying down.

“The worst of hell fires, Gurudeva.”

“And that’s waiting for you in the other world.”

“So be it, Gurudeva.”

“You knew for sure that you would go to hell if you violated my command. Then why the hell did you do that? Why did you broadcast the secret meaning which you took more than a year to learn?”

“You are right, gurudeva. You delayed teaching me for more than a year. And I am sure to go to hell. But Gurudeva, you should have seen the number of people who came to hear that. There were thousands, Gurudeva.

“There were many mothers, fathers and children. And there were pregnant women too. So when they hear it the benefit is sure to pass on to the next generation as well.

"You also told me Gurudeva, that whosoever heard the Thirumanthiram is sure to go to heaven, not the ordinary version ruled by Devendra, but to the Paramapadam ruled by the one and only Sriman Narayana.

“If so many people, so many generations can go to heaven because of that holy name, what’s the big deal, if one person, somebody as ordinary as I am, goes to hell? If so many people are sure to go to heaven, I am ready to go to hell a million times for them, Gurudeva.”

Thirukoshtiyur Nambi froze. Even in his wildest dreams he could not have dreamt of that kind of love from his young disciple.

Now was the time for the old teacher to learn a new lesson. He lifted Ramanuja and hugged him tight, not minding the dirt in Ramanuja’s body. Thirukoshtiyur Nambi was now folding his hands towards his young disciple.

“Ramanuja, I thought I knew everything. But before your love all my knowledge is but a useless tinsel. You are going to lead a very big movement of love. No wonder the Sleeping Lord spoke on your behalf.

“Ramanuja, you are not my disciple. You have taught me the lesson of love. You are my Lord. You are our Lord. May you be called “Emperumanar” (Our Lord) from now on.

“I have been calling this rahasyaartham “Vaithika Siddhantham” (Vedic Precept) till now. I now declare that this Thirumanthiram and its secret meanings be called “Emperumanar Dharsanam” in your name.

And please include me as one of your followers.“

Ramanuja hugged his Guru and both the men were shedding tears of love for a long time.

9. varalotti

Part 9

What Ramanuja did on that day standing on the wall of Sowmyanarayana Temple was no ordinary act. It was a revolution. A religious revolution. A spiritual revolution. The only religious revolution in the history of the world which did not involve any bloodshed.

Religious history was redrawn on the day our Acharya transmitted his teacher’s words to the ordinary people.

Till then only some people were considered competent to know about Lord because of the mere accident of their birth in a particular class or clan. Ramanuja’s gesture of unequalled love changed all that.

Ramanuja was solely responsible for the new rule in religion that was born on that day – Desire to know is the only qualification.
    இச்சையே அதிகாரம்.

At times even our Lord, the great Mahavishnu might let us down. But not Ramanuja.

10. varalotti

Part 10

Once Ramanuja was teaching Ramayana to his students. Pillai Uranga Villidasan (I am sure you still remember his story, his wife Ponnaachi and their perfect love).

It was a very touching scene. Vibheeshana had run away from his brother Ravana and was seeking Rama’s friendship. He was in effect seeking assylum.

He was standing on the air just above Rama’s camp. The Vanaras who only knew that Vibheeshana was a demon and Ravana’s brother were hurling stones at him.

They were also shouting slogans against him and was giving him real hell. Vibeeshana had to be in that state for two days.

Meanwhile Rama was holding parleys with his Generals whether they should accept Vibheeshana or not.

Many people advised against accepting the Demon. But Rama vetoed them all and accepted Vibheeshana as if he were his own brother.

Villidasan could not control his sobs. Ramanuja was moved.

“What happened, Villi? Why are you crying so much? You see nobody else is crying. What makes you cry at this ordinary scene?”

“Gurudeva, we know that Vibheeshana is a very good soul. Even though he lived in Lanka in the company of Demons he lived a very pure life. And he had been a true devotee of the Lord. He was such a righteous soul that he dared to talk against his mighty brother.

“He was the only person in Lanka who condemned Ravana’s action of kidnapping the Holy Mother. If somebody like him should suffer so much before being accepted by God, I was just wondering, how much should an ordinary sinner like me suffer?

“Gurudeva, please tell me this. Will I have the strength to withstand the sufferings or will I succumb to them? I am frightened, Acharya.”

Villidasan’s love and devotion moved Ramanuja. It was a rare moment when the Great Acharya forgot for a moment that he was born as a human being.

He could not bear to see tears in the eyes of someone as noble and as loving as Pillai Uranga Villidasan. He assumed the role of the Lord Himself and spoke these reassuring words to Villi.

“Oh my dearest Villidasa, don’t worry. That kind of waiting and suffering can happen in Rama’s camp; but not in Ramanuja’s camp. I promise.”

“அது ராமர் கோஷ்டியில் வேண்டுமானால் நடக்கலாம். ராமானுஜன் கோஷ்டியில் சத்தியமாக நடக்காது.”

The promise Ramanuja gave to Villidasan covers us as well. Even if we are such hardened sinners that the Great Lord might hesitate to redeem us, there is always our Acharya’s golden feet which will never let us down.

Our duty today, on this the holiest of days, our Acharya’s birthday, is to hold on to his golden feet and never let them go.

Ramanujasya sharanau sharanam prapathye