1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My Current Cut Now What Do I Do

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

OH MY CURRENT CUT WHAT DO U DO??

My children were in there 2<sup>nd</sup> and 5<sup>th</sup> standard and again the same current cut, now what do I do, to keep their mind away from the fear of darkness.

While doing their homework they may strain their eyes, so just to give some gap I used to divert them by converting my hand as deer kissing each other on the wall, or the rabbit and the lion king and so on, as the story was developing into & nearing the climax, my kids would had finished with their dinner, and they would demand some mishti doi, now where do I go in the dark, so add some sugar in a small cup of dahi and sit down along with them feeding them with spoons.

my elder one may take over with her fingers and I would tell the story.
    Sometime the current cut would be after the dinner, so we play antakshari a game of film songs, and one has to start from the word that ends and sing a new song starting with that and by that you come to know about their knowledge of music.

so finish the homework and studies in the evening while we had the natural light of the setting sun.
    Sometime getting into a large bed sheet and making a tent of that and with the torch brightening the insides and telling secrets into the ears of one and they should pass on whatever they heard, no thinking whether it is right or wrong, this way sometime new words come up and all burst out laughing if it is wrong.

many a time, my second one will blurt the wrong words and end up saying
    Something different like vazhapazham will be vaypayam, or murungakka will be muyingakka, and the elder one will start teasing. The little one always in my lap as she was scared of many things even a curtain going up and down she would clutch me tight and I would know, and soothe her.

[FONT=&quot]Many a time sound of music used to come to my mind, how they burst into her bedroom in a stormy night.

Now tell me how u diverted their fear..sunkan
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Great one.. Brought back all the old current cut days and where they plenty or what..Looks like you were very enterprising mother..It makes such a big difference when you play such with your children.. its fun and bonding time at the same time..In fact the bond is stronger because of all this play..The only thing that came to mind is telling nursery rhymes..Also I am not as imaginative as you .. very nicely told Sundari.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku chitra,
    current cut is even now in bangalore and i did all that i wanted my parents to do for me, don't we all do that, and even now priya going through this says mom u remember all these in details my, so good..

yes i used to make imaginary stuff for them even to eat an ordinary twisted layered biscuits i used to make chocolate sauce to dip and eat, because it was a bland stuff..they also loved these jellys different colors and custard was a madness so some desert to keep those wonderful soulful eyes all brightened, and used to love them jumping with ecstasy.

they always had the habit of looking into the fridge before they change to see whats new, so i did not want to disappoint them, so some new ideas will be there, fresh oranges used to be available in season so some juices, mango is madness for most of the year.. wish u had shared more about how u kept them occupied during these times..sunkan

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

By sharing what you kept in fridge you show how creative you are..I just wanted to reply to yur line.. " wish u had shared more about how u kept them occupied during these times"..
    When my son was small we had a battery operated tubelight which used to come on auto matically if power went off..so never had a chance to do anything..not that I woould have..but i do remember singing nursery rhymes..Hats of for being such a creative and imaginary mother:hatsoff.. your children are blessed..

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

Just a few days back, my daughter recollected a day from her stay with my parents in madras and told me "can you believe this? There was no current for one full evening in madras - no light, no fan - we had candles". Staying in an apartment with some minimal back up for power, she has not experienced power cuts. So, she was very amused with that experience. And it really set me thinking about my school days in madurai when we had gone without power for even 2 days continuously! Also I remembered how amused I was when my parents told me how there was no electricity in their villages at all when they studied. And I had a flickering thought to write all about it in induslady but just did not find time to do that. Lo! I see your piece here and felt good!

I remember we also used to play making shadows in the wall. Infact, I remember an artist once performing in our school making shadows - i dont know whether such people exist now.

Though there were many practical problems because of power cut, it somehow had its (old world) charm those days. Nowadays, most of us have emergency lights, or a back-up and very rarely, it lasts for more than a few hours and again very rarely in the nights. Nothing can beat that childish joy in facing a power cut - see I cant do homework nor can i study!

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sumathy,
    sometimes in life we forget to do the most important thing and that is to get a back up for the electricity that goes sometime, but once a month we have a full day power cut and some time it goes, so my daughter is yet to decide do fix a power back up, and we had intermittent power cut the other day.

just when i was about to entertain a wonderful writer in my house he is in IL too, no i wont say anything waiting for him to write about it, and the power went phat, so only candle light dinner for him, with my daughter teasing him, 'oh they usually say when writers arrive the power comes up double fold and look here as soon as u announced ur going to be here the power has gone' can u explain, and poor fellow was dumb founded...so this particular power cut reminded how i used to keep the kids thinking not of darkness but how to play and make use of it. nice to know you got reminded about this too..sunkan

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  7. vijubala

vijubala Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,
    Really I was very much touched by ur post.In reality I was struggling hard to raise my daughter,B'coz I'm naturally not used to playing with kids,even when I was a kid (wierd right???:evil:).
    but really I'm a loving mom(none can't b otherwise).The thing is mechanically i feed her,take care of all her needs.But I was very passive with her.But now only I realised it,trying hard to change my behavioural trait & playing with her.But sometime I end up without knowing how to proceed,the playful mood.But now I'm learning it from u.I regret so much abt this character of me.But Thank God it's not too late.She is just 4yrs,now I 'm changing myself & playing with her.I will love to get novel ideas from u.Thanx once again for a nice post.It was a timely help to me

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear viju,
    i read ur other post and i am sure the romantic self in u will bring out the love for your little one here, and very soon you will master the innovative ideas of creating an imaginative world for her..this is also the best time to train for every thing from potty to her eating habits and so many other things with love and innovations, by now u must have known whether she is a sweet tooth or loves only hot stuff, so make things accordingly and keep it in the fridge asking her to finish her food so that she could peep into the fridge for something yummy for her. i used to give puppy food i used to call that some chapathis well dipped in sugar and milk or some salt butter spread, my daughter priya never liked sugar stuff so have to keep planning something hot at the same time not spicy..please help her to bite into carrots and cucumber whenever they have this binge for snacks so that later she would seek that...any way chips is a weakness to any child, i am here if you want any help.crayons are a great way of opening her imaginations but be careful with your walls or allow and then have fun...sunkan

9. vijubala

vijubala Bronze IL'ite

Thanq Sunkan for ur suggestions,will surely try them

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Really interesting, Sunkan, by the way you had described what you do with the kids when the current is off.
    when we were in India for the summer vacation, my son screamed when the current was off, I was not present at that time, only my daughters, my mom and my grandmother was there and more over , the 'veedhi ula' of Amman came at that time with lot of singing in the front.
    As my son is not used to current cut here, he cried and cried and the to make him silent doesn't work and he kept quiet only after the current came back.

sriniketan