Ogling In Office ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Oct 22, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I started working after many years.When I was younger..I used to work in small companies and was starting and except for one of them usually people have been decent..

In this new office I am working which is a mix of Americans and Indians.. there are some men who are actually nice people but seem to be talking about women all the time.Anything we say somehow translates to women,hot,sexy and beauty.

Any customer comes and if she is young or dressed well..after she leaves they talk casually about how she looks or how these guys got numbers from women in bars or on the lines of that. It all seems like a joke and maybe it is..but I feel weird laughing to these conversations.

I want to concentrate on my work and since it is a small office.. people gather everyday whenever they want and talk and I feel like am back in college..

Am no saying all this in a bad note nor are they bad people..but is it common to talk about how hot that or this women is casually in an office atmosphere? All these men are in their early forties too..

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

People in offices are usually more careful about making such comments these days. I am surprised to hear this. I would just pretend to be busy and ignore. Are there other women in your workplace?
    Make sure you’re not feeling personally uncomfortable.

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Nope they shouldn't be talking like this in public I am surprised as well. Do you have a coworker that you are comfortable to talk with?

4. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Gold IL'ite

Dunno about other countries but yes it's quite common in India even in metro cities. I have seen even women commenting other women's attire in the offices. If it's not making you uncomfortable, just ignore.
    If its getting too much, you may need to avoid the gathering when such disc happens . What do the other female workers feel ?

5. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

not a common occurrance. Even in India. specially at work place.
    Do they talk like that in front of you or do you overhear the "boys" conversations? (which is also not ok)

But if you joined after a long time and looking for work experience, then I would suggest keep away from them and just say hello/hi, finish work and maybe share some sweets/chocolates for festivals, weekends whatever becuase if you are really looking for experience and that you started workign after so long, you need some help fromt hese people. so be good be away, atleast until you get your work done.
    The problem occurs if they "do" anything beyond just talk.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Ogling is prelude to Gossip and the latter is good for some looking for pastime. But it is said when one is in Rome He/she should act like Roman. If one feels ogling is odd, soon the person find is isolated.
    I was just thinking from where for first time i heard and learnt this word. That was from my english professor in college when he was paraphrasing an essay from pickwick papers. The professor taught the class by ogling so that every student grasp the meaning correctly. This professor was a “she” and the class held in co-ed college.

A squint eyed curly haired chubby boy was ogling and that had earned him whacking at times. But those girls who knew he had the squint from birth, had a soft corner for him.
    Happy Deepavali to OP & other respondents here.

anika987 and sociallifein30s like this.