1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Rocks,Pebbles and Sand

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by madhoo78, Jul 21, 2010.

1. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

I am new to the world of blogging. I got my blogg-ing space only today and was wondering how to go about it.:)I was thinking about life,stress,values etc., and remembered this story which I had read some time before:idea. I am sharing that with you.

A philosophy professor was trying to teach his students about priortising in life and he put some items on the table in front of him.He picked up a big empty glass jar and filled it with rocks which were of about two inches in diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full and the students agreed it was.

Then he picked up some pebbles and put into
    the jar and shook the jar.The pebbles rolled down into the spaces between the rocks

Then again the professor asked the students whether the jar was full and they agreed it was.

The professor this time picked up a mug of sand and poured into the jar and ofcourse,the sand filled nook and corner of the jar.

Again he asked whether the jar was full and the students answered with a big 'yes'.

Then the professor explained the students that the jar represents our life.The rocks are the most important things in life(family,partner,health,children) things that if everything else was lost and only they remained your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things like your job, your house,your car etc., and the sand is everything else-the small stuff.

" If you put sand into the jar first, there is no room for pebbles and rocks.the same goes for life,"the professor said." so students, take care of the rocks first,the things that really matter.Rest is sand"

So my friends, especially all those materialistic people out there, if you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Play with your children,take your partner out for dinner,spend time with your parents, you will always have time for the other things and works.

ENJOY YOUR LIFETIME LARGELY WITH ROCKS,TO A GOOD EXTENT WITH PEBBLES AND LITTLE WITH SAND- A GOOD FORMULA FOR LIFETIME HAPPINESS!

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Welcome to IL Blogs Madhoo78! A nice one to start of the account. I have heard of this story before but had forgotten what the rocks/pebbles/sand stood for. Nice reminder.

3. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you!, K2S for that nice and quick response.

4. videsha

videsha New IL'ite

thought provoking!!! excellent!