1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of memories, feelings, emptiness, tastes and more…..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pallavi4me, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

It was usual business day with meetings at a high-end corporate office having a lush green view from the lobby. During the break, fondly remembered the days I have travelled on the road alongside even before and during the construction of that building. The places are familiar to my eyes or to my heart, in those days of exploring new routes or just an aimless wandering on those then-unknown, un-familiar routes… which are of quite familiar now.

Later asked the driver to take me to a place of which my taste buds are yearning for.. en route, my eyes caught a specialized restaurant where I had my farewell few years back and had few fond memories on that road. I took an instant decision to have lunch there and relish in nostalgia.

As I have entered into that restaurant, over the years there are few changes there but the table we had lunch remained. They have offered me another table and I have ordered my favourite Item as starter and not-so favourite for Main course since it does not have much options left for such a choosy-eater like me.

The food was as tasty as it was….but the moment was not. It became too much for to stuff-in and I felt so lonely. It was as if the loneliness punched on my face. I could not complete even half of the portion of it and the memories I made there years ago kept me restless. Then, I realized it is not for the taste of food I’m yearning to but the memory of those moments. That day my siblings and cousins made me feel special, we exchanged few lovely banters and the snaps we have taken were in my eyes. It’s not that we don’t have that bond today, but still the emptiness caught me more at the moment when I was sitting there alone. This incident is one more reminder for me that the ‘companionship’ matters even when we pretend that we don’t need any.

As I have asked for the bill, the waiter wanted to know why I was alone and is that any special day for celebration to which I have replied in negative. In few minutes, he has come with bill and a ‘complimentary dessert’. I was very apprehensive as I was too full to eat anything more and the calorie part of it. Even then, he insisted on taking it and we could strike a deal of me taking ¼ of it. Needless to say, it tasted heavenly and I could easily finish it off.

May be like the glass jar, where it seems filled with rubble, gravel and sand but still could make space for some water, my stomach easily made way for the heavenly dessert. It took me back to my smiling self, I’m not sure if it is taste the dessert or touch of waiter’s human concern. One more memory has been made and when I gave the left-over food, I could see the happiness in the eyes of a little boy.

The journey back home was indeed pleasant and this incident reinforced my belief once again it is the people in your life matters when you look back and little acts for others will have greater impact in our day to day life.

P.S: The foodie in me has already decided to skip the Main course and enjoy the starter+dessert combo in any future visits to that place.

13 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Nice to see you back in action Pallavi. Looks like that restaurant has that human touch - look at both of your experiences. That aside, yes it is the human beings and the memories we make with them and through them that carve a place in our hearts, no doubt about that. I often look at the incredible friends I have and never fail to smile! Thank you bringing out a warm feeling through your write up.

3 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was quite an interesting one Pallavi.
    Yes. You indeed hit it on the spot. People do matter more than the place.
    The reminiscence that comes at times can be too much too. Sometimes we may not be able to handle this too. I used to leave teary eyed in such instances.

But thats what makes it so special.

Great comeback!

-rgs

5 people like this.
  4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

What is happiness if we dont have somebody to share it with???
    yes ppl..friends..realtives matter!!
    Imagine how would a wall look if it had just your own pics and selfies??
    Those frames need familiar faces to make us smile when we look at them.
    Dearestttt Pallavi I am so glad that you took time out to relish those memories which 're precious to you.

Btw which was that restraunt??
    The hibernating foodie in me likes to visit such places where desserts are tastier than the main course. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pallavi,

We wear memories in our faces, in the whorls and folds of our brains. Some are even etched that you will remember every pixel of it :biggrin2:.Those profound and beautiful experiences are entrusted within us only because they were woven in strings of ‘love’
    If those moments weren’t filled with love of our dear ones, it would have faded with time.
    Now the kindness that waiter showed and the love you exhibited on the little boy will be lingering when u visit the same place next time.
    Bottom line is, with LOVE, we heal, we grow, we learn, we become ‘Complete’.
    U have written it so beautifully, that 'a little senti me' is touched and overwhelmed. hugsmiley

-Neetu-

1 person likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pallavi,

Many moments become precious because of how we felt at that moment...feelings are important and not what was served . Among people also we love those who made us feel happy or share things with them. Desert made you feel happy because of the human touch. So it is people and small gestures which matter. I agree with you.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one P4.

Reliving the nicer moments of life will always motivate to keep nicer things happening again and again in the present and future.

2 people like this.
  8. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

Nicely written pallavi,as lot of people say things may end, but the memories do last forever
    Goodone!

2 people like this.
  9. Pallavi4me

Thank you so much srama for always being there. It feels so good to receive few words from you.

Thats very true, i agree 100% with you, "People and memories will be always in our hearts." Glad I could bring warmth by sharing my experience.

10. Pallavi4me

Thanks for appreciation rgs. Yes, People do matter and their presence in our heart does matter. I often get nostalgic for so many issues, moments and places. Your sensitive heart reflects in your words.

Thanks again for your support always.