1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Sep 17, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"What do you do"? (A question I often get asked, by application forms, human beings ......)

"Huh??? I eat, I sleep, I watch telly, I spend the whole day glued to the internet ....."

"No, no, you don't understand. I meant, what is your profession"?

"........thinkingsmiley :confused2: :shock:"

"Oh, so you are a housewife!"

"No, I live in a house and I am Mr. Soandso's wife, but a hybrid of the two - ? No, that I am not"!

"Then what are you? It is impossible to be nothing.
    'na hi kascit ksanam api
    jatu tisthaty akarma-krt
    karyate hy avasah karma
    sarvah prakrti-jair gunaih'

(Every being must act according to their individual natures born of their past samskaras. It is impossible for one to be totally devoid of action, even for a moment).

Haven't you heard of that before? I thought you said you have studied the Geeta
    ".

"Ah...mmm, but did I not say I do eat, sleep ..... are you not listening"?

"But that is not work"!

"Then what is"?

"Don't you understand? You are not employed. You don't earn anything for all this! You just lie in one place with that stupid laptop of yours, allow the serotonin levels in your brain rise; your brain is only getting fried by the second"!

"Maybe. I don't earn money. But does everyone earn money commensurate to the work they do? How do you know that what they earn is well deserved? How do you know they are earning less or more than what they deserve? Maybe my lack of earnings are just an extreme case of 'less than what I deserve'? Or maybe I don't deserve to be paid for doing work which I enjoy doing anyway"?

"What work could you be accomplishing just sitting with your laptop"?

"Oh well, I keep in touch with friends - all of us are in need of company and we provide each other with that whenever we are free. I share pictures of stuff I cook and also the recipes. We help each other keep track of our diet and health. So we care for each other. We keep a track of people who need help and network with others who may be in a position to help. I am at present participating in a group storytelling blog competition and am playing editor for our group. Do you know, a couple of people asked (of course it amused me no end, but cheered me up too!) whether I am an editor and whether I can give classes in editing!!!??? I just replied saying I am not an editor in the field of journalism or media, but am an editor of sorts in the classroom. Is not a teacher an editor too"?

"Ha! Great job! What's the use when you don't get paid for it? What use empty words"?

"Hey man! Will you just shut up? I eat well, I have enough and more clothes than I reasonably need, I have a roof over my head and most importantly : I enjoy my work and get paid in terms of happiness and satisfaction. Do you have any other currency that will equal that? And if you are still not satisfied, well, I am currently busily unemployed"!

41 people like this.

2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, You should have said “Royally employed”:party
    One of the high profile cabinet minister managing multiple portfolios and leading critical ministries.
    Ministry of Home affairs(ensure safety and security of civilians at home :wink:), ministry of finance(platinum member for all debit, credit, shopping, petro cards :shhh:), Ministry of foreign affairs(entertain guests, friends n family), Ministry of defense(peacemaking with In-laws :roll:), Health ministry (act as In-house doctor, nutritionist), Labour ministry (managing maids, electricians, plumbers, watch men..etc) and many others like textile, education, transport, cultural ministries..etc..
    You have won it hands down, so not needed to prove majority, not required to go through no confidence motion, no veto power required. And all this, not termed based, live long service…Phew!
    Who gets this luxury? Tell me???
    Good one Satchi!

9 people like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha - Nice one S'

(Seriously isn't a Home Maker the all in one Chairman, MD, CEO and all the Directors of the Board or rather Singular Board Director) :)

3 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

wow that was a wonderful backslapping of an reply though I should not be using the word backslap but that is what comes to mind when people can be rudely persistent in the way they ask you questions on this particular topic.

i had the same question popped at me while I was waiting for my doctor this evening. I would not mind saying lazing around 24x7, but I am yet to get that full rest that I am being pestered to take for the past 15 days.But there is answer that I would like to shout from the roof top " I am living my life by my choices and my comforts, do you have a problem with it. And yes I am working! Working at being a better human being. "

Why is earnings measured by ₹₹₹₹ all the time. There are things that I earn that are more priceless. A blessing, a heartfelt thanks when you listen to a old person craving for attention. The humble namaste almost bending himself ( that makes me uncomfortable but he never stops) from the kid who comes home to collect all that I manage to collect for the orphanage. The friend in distress who says she is relieved talking to me. A friend who says my suggestion and network helped her cinch a bargain, find a donor...

a happiness that blooms when you come to know that the effort though was minuscule has brought a change in somebody's life.

Making a difference in a small way and feeling contended priceless.

14 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    I do not know who this blue-blooded person who conducted this interview during which he has spoken so disparagingly about being unemployed. I register my strong protest. When I joined SBI as a Probationary Officer in 1965, I was posted at Madurai. I was given a seat in a corner of a dilapidated building and during the first few days, I was just counting all the lizards of different sizes and colours perched on the walls and ceiling. My early friends in IL know how scared I was about lizards and I have even written a trilogy on the subject of lizards.

At the end of the first month, I was paid my first salary of Rs.400 and my hands shivered when I collected it. They shivered not of of unbounded joy or excitement but out of a greet feeling of guilt. I had spent a whole month counting lizards and I was yet to come to even a rough estimate about how many there were and the Bank was paying me a hefty salary (in those days) in recognition thereof. Until that day I never realised that being unoccupied could be so lucrative!

This early lesson that I learned in the Bank got more and more consolidated as I continued with my job of inaction except that by this time I had acquired considerable expertise in this department and the highly grateful Bank started paying me more and more for it. Now you understand why I get so put off when anyone talks disparagingly about being unemployed?
    Sri

9 people like this.
  6. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

its Like........ You know Like...... Yeah....... You know......

Sometimes its better to be speechless in awe than to tire out yourself finding the right words to discribe perfection.........

5 people like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,
    On many occasions women face such embarassing situations as though they are fit for nothing.
    It is a sorry state of affairs that the term 'gainfully employed'is always associated with monetary gain.

I am reminded of an incident quoted by a lady while attending the interview for licence.

The Public Relations Officer asked "Your occupation?" in a rather authoritative tone.
    I just had an inspiration and replied
    "I am a researcher in the field of Child Development, Nutrition and Inter-personal Relationships"
    The lady officer stared at me in amazement. I calmly repeated my statement and she wrote it down verbatim. Then, unable to conceal her curiosity, she politely asked "What exactly do you do in your profession, Ma'am?"
    I was feeling good about having described my occupation so calmly and confidently.
    So I replied "My research projects have been going on for a number of years (Mothers never retire!!). My research is conducted in the laboratory as well as in the field.
    I have two bosses. (One is God and the other is my entire family).
    I have received two honours in this field. (A son and a daughter)
    My topic is considered to be the most difficult part of sociology.(All moms will agree!!).
    I have to work more than 14 hours every day. Sometimes even 24 hours are not enough and the challenges are tougher than many other professions.
    My compensation is in terms of mental satisfaction rather than money"
    I could see that the officer was thoroughly impressed. After completing the licensing formalities, she came to the door to see me off.
    This new viewpoint about my occupation made me feel much better on my way back home. I was welcomed by my 5 year old research assistant at the door. My new project (my 6 month old baby) was energetically practicing her 'music'.
    I had earned a small victory over the Governmental red tape today. I was no longer 'merely a Mother',or House wife; instead I was now a highly placed functionary in a service vital for Mankind -Motherhood!!

Jayasala 42

sindmani, hrastro, Shina and 9 others like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

No one who has a formal profession to earn a living can find 100% satisfaction on all he/she does everyday as much as one who does action out of love and get returns in the form of happiness, satisfaction and sense of fulfillment. In my opinion, the quality of life is not in what we do or what profession we belong or what respect we get from fellow beings but in how satisfied we feel about what we do. Especially, when love is the ingredient in our actions, the resulting satisfaction is also full of love.

Your description in the post regarding unemployment reminded me of a practical joke we have experienced when many of us (CAs) went for interviews with Union Carbide, Bank of America, Bank National De Paris, Shriram Fibres, etc. We are fresh professionals with no experience in interviews. We were all asked to fill up forms with our credentials and one of the questions was "Salary expected?" Because of the question mark at the end of that row, one of my friends replied, "Yes" to that question. There was a row called "Status" requesting everyone to answer whether they are single or married. But one of my friends answered, "Unemployed".

Viswa

2 people like this.
  9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow Satchi that is really cool.

You know what I say for housewife.....
    This I write in all my profile too....:)

[FONT=\]Research associate in the field of child development and human relations[/FONT]:biggrin2:

4 people like this.
  10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Satchi.. never ever say that!!!... then you will not come shopping.. and what will darling BH do with all those Rs in his bank????
    this post of yours is a show stopper!!!..
    ok editor saab.. thanks for the laugh!!!
    Kerman

3 people like this.