1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Obstacles

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks to madam sister for viewing the post from entirely a different angle seldom done by others.

2. Your jotting spoken direct from obstacles' mill that demonstrates or and establishes entirely a different view point.

3. I find I am in dilemma to whose views I should agree more or less!

4. Motivation need not be positive always. In certain areas people attain success from being negatively motivated!

5. While returning from college with couple of class mates, stood chatting at street corner about how many would get I class & how many would just manage to get through the degree exam. VASU said he can guess only cock-sure failures 'correctly' and listed
    Names that included mine.

6. Exams were in March-April. VASU made ABOVE statement of failure in mid Feb, '64. I felt sad for a while, but that was the moment I determined to secure not just pass but to pass with a class.

7. I proceeded from that spot straight to Triplicane Parathasarathy temple's tank Hanuman Mandir: prayed sincerely circumambulated 108 times ascending and descending 24 steps around deity : and my planned studies began - preparation for over 3 weeks daily commencing sharp at 1A.M. to 5A.M.

8. After degree final exams, I went with a class-mate to spend a week at his native village in Pattukottai. Few days went by.

9. A telegram received around 10a.m. few minutes after I listened to cine song from public loudspeaker "Olimayamana edirkalam en ullathilil therigiradhu... " with message reading "Congrats(.) You secured First Class(.) Letter follows.

9. My mind at that juncture with lids closed eyes welled up rushed to tank LORD HANUMAN in huge thanks.

10. Such was the power of negative motivation.
    Regards.
    God to devotee is neither positive or negative. HE REMAINS @ ORIGIN with blessings in abundance on a platter to all those work intelligently.

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

That is great realisation and the goal " the quantum of hurt at the time of facing obstacle " is zero.
    Well said. Obstacle remaining same, the hurt varies with individuals and with age and with time.
    God Bless.
    Regards.

girvani likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your second response.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Periamma,

It is a very interesting way to look at the obstacles. I am a believer that all our experiences are connected with our thoughts and everything happens for a reason we are not able to pinpoint. Most in life are outside our control and outside of our influence. We are therefore interdependent on this universe. Feelings and emotions of hurt in inevitable but if the mind keeps brooding on the obstacles, there is no way out for positive energy to evolve. If we live in negatives for the entire life time, that negative thought energy becomes contribution to the universe and therefore, we become a taker whereas if we overcome the negativity, accept the happening and face it with confidence, we become positive and a great contributor to the universe. That is always my view.

periamma and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

I see Vasu's statement as an obstacle that happened just like throwing stone into a pond and your at the moment decision to get first class is your will power. Instead of brooding with what Vasu said, you decided to study well and get the best result. Isn't it what I said in my snippet?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

My Dearest Vani,

Thank you for sharing that wonderful Tagore's poem first in your response. I am glad that you have two wonderful children that you cherish spending time every day of your life. There is nothing wrong in grieving for the lost child for a while (however long that is) but if that thought dominate the entire life leaving everything behind, you wouldn't be where you are now.

Like what @kkrish said earlier, I let the obstacle to play its role in my life like any other remarkable happenings. Mind is a cauldron of thoughts and thought that is energized become our life. That is why learned people say "Yat bhavam Tad Bhavati" meaning "As you think, so you become".

Any mother will feel losing a child as a major earth-shaking event. My wife and I went through so much of questioning when we didn't have children for 5 years after our marriage. After this period, we came to know that we could never have a biological child. The whole world collapsed in front of our eyes. However, we were blessed with a wonderful son right after that. The universe has so much to offer to its children provided we are ready to receive love. For that we have to keep our mind and heart empty to be filled with divine grace unoccupied by worries. If the purpose of life is to find happiness, brooding on the obstacle is not going to help that purpose.

The question I asked myself at the time of obstacles was, "Is there something I could do about it?" For some happenings in life, there is no answer and there is nothing we can do different to fix the obstacle. Sometimes, it needs strong will power and other times, it needs divine intervention. It is my humble view, there is nothing human mind could do to lay a path of life of our choice. It can only facilitate our Sankalpa but the life as such happens according to the laws of the universe unless we are an Avatar. Sometimes, good people have bad time and bad people have good time. It is beyond comprehension of human mind and that kind of thoughts come to our mind because we see life as from birth to death.

We are not the doers and we can only make the effort using the tools gifted to us to perform actions and the outcome of such actions are in the hands of the Universal Absolute.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Thyagarajan, girvani and Anusha2917 like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Yes Sir absolutely.
    2. Your point of view is established.
    3. In later years, when Vasu was working in government college at COIMBATORE in physics department, I profusely thanked him for the statement he made several decades ago. Vasu became later head of the department of physics in the same college.
    4. While reading your previous response to my FB, I was reminded of Nagesh In Server Sundaram responding to a question about overcoming obstacles to a lady tv interviewer said, “ when a stone is held close to eyes, it can block the mighty sun but when it is kept at a distance one can see the sunshine”.
    5. I am also reminded of English Bard in His drama AS YOU LIKE IT through Duke Senior emphasise the need to look for positives in obstacles .
    Quote.
    Sweet are the uses of adversity, Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, Wears yet a precious jewel in his head; And this our life, exempt from public haunt, Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, Sermons in stones, and good in every thing."
    Unquote.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God dwells in adversities and obstacles too to help refine humanity.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Oh God! So much to learn from the experienced and wise people in this forum. How much of all these positive thoughts I will adopt I am not sure but I am definitely learning a lot at my own pace .
    So many wonderful pointers here in all the replies. I can't pick one and say this is what I want to learn or I want to adopt. All of them are so wonderful . Felt like a kid in the candy store trying to grab everything.

All I want to say is - this wisdom from all of you is so important and keep giving them.

It's a beautiful thread and a "keep coming back to learn more" kind of thread for me .
    Thank you for this . I am looking forward to learn more and more from others here . :blush::blush:

9. Viswamitra

@Anusha2917,

The credit should go to @SinghManisha for me to create this thread. She wrote a wonderful thread triggering me to think in this direction and recall what I did when I faced obstacles. There are many who contributed invaluable points here as you rightly said. There is nothing wrong in having emotions or feeling during the time we face obstacles but we can't let those thoughts take over our lives. Calmer mind has the ability to find solution or receive grace. When we walk towards the Sun, our shadow is behind us and similarly, when we seek Sankalpa or divine guidance, the obstacles take a backseat. If we let it go ahead of us, then we go away from the light. Frankly, the purpose of emotions and feelings is to release the thought about the obstacles so that they don't appear overwhelming. God has given us so many tools to address our obstacles besides His grace.

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa sir

Your snippet was more of an assurance to look things in a birds eye view for whatever turbulence I am going through though not affected personally.
    This is a valuable point to ponder.

I liked your response to JS mam . Every obstacle has taught me one thing "rise and shine" but it has taken decades for me to learn this lesson. Recently I was told that I know how to act in crisis. probably that is what life is preparing us at every step of the way.

Ending with a note "This too shall pass .. as nothing is permanent"