1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Obsessive - manipulative MIL wants to see baby on skype everyday

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Shivaa, Oct 1, 2014.

1. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

if ur DH is at home, giv baby to H and ask him to skype..

other days.. weekly 4 times internet doest work for u.. u need to invent that.. especially even if internet is not down, skype servers are down...

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Emotional blackmail is hard to fight. You cannot make your husband be the one to take care of the skype call everyday, though that would be the fair thing to do with such an irritating personality as your MIL.

I suggest play up the RA. With autumn and winter approaching, pretend that it is really bad, and you are in too much pain. Whether you tell husband the truth or not is up to you.

1 person likes this.
  3. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Dear op,
    I feel I will not take this as irritating at all. She is just missing all of you. She feels guilty that shes not near you guys to help and be with grand child. Maybe you can arrange a trip for her to your place. Since you are living in a place thats more westernised she is worried about kids health. I would say just be patient and comfort her and tthank her for asking. Glad that you are asking etc., my 2 cents

4. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Once in a while, tell her that you are too tired to Skype and need rest/baby is sleepy etc..give excuses for 1/2 days a week..then gradually do it 3/4 days..till she gets the message that you do not like these sessions..
    Salt should not be given to babies till 12 months..tell her that point blank on face..ask your H why his mom doesnot want you to breastfeed..tell him that you feel super-stressed and super-depressed by his mom's comments...
    most importantly, you yourself start cutting short/avoiding these skype calls...when no one stands up for you, it is time to start that yourself..take care..

2 people like this.
  5. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Just like another reader suggested, play up your RA, ask your husband to do those calls.It is his parents and it's his obligation. Your husband cannot and shouldn't dictate when you can talk to your own parents. If he can, then you can do the same to him.

If this fails, when your MIL is on skype, just focus the camera to the room while the baby plays and you keep doing your work. Tell you MIL politely that you are doing house chores and she can enjoy the baby watching it play. Don't respond to all her questions give vague answers don't have to lie. Make her understand that you have other works to do.

She can bad mouth you to all her relatives who cares? My MIL did that and continues. The repercussion is that I don't care much about her or her family and in the end she is the one who feels bad. People who are smart do understand the truth.

Oh, when m MIL left us, she said facetime everyday. I said i don't have apple so your son will do it. My husband does facetime with her and i don't give a dime about it. I do skype with my parents and my husband stays out of it.

Infact when i skype with my own parents during weekends, I keep doing my routine while i focus the camera to the general area so that they can watch their GD. I keep talking to them while watching my daughter and doing my chores like making coffee or breakfast or washing veggies.

You just have to be stern and show them that you gotta life....

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I suggest you treat her like other homo sapiens that you deal with: Go on Skype when it is convenient, answer her calls when it is convenient. Ignore meltdowns.

2 people like this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Tell her u broke ur laptop ! Cant skype !! I use this only !!