1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Objective of this Sub-Forum

Discussion in 'At Home' started by Kamla, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

New one..

Dear Sofian,

Never heard of this one. Shall try it next time when masalas rule the kitchen! Thanks and keep these ideas coming.

L, Kamla

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Re: New one..

Kamala,
    did the wet towel work for you?? I have a center island range with a down draft exhaust. To maintain the temperatures required for indian cooking I almost never turn the exhaust on while cooking since it sucks most of the heat away from cooking utensils. This results in the whole house smelling of food and I have to run the exhaust for a long time afterwards. I am willing to try any new tip I haven't tried already (agarbathis, candles,airfreshners etc......)

thanks,
    Pushpa

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Frankly speaking Blondie, when real life takes over, the things you have read and noted flies out through the window! I did not try the wet towel trick But then, there are enough wet cloth/towels in the kitchen, what with all that washing up and drying dishes etc. I still follow my usual tried and tested method of boiling vinegar in a pan of water or exhaust fan.
    I was surprised to read that the exhaust on the cooking range also sucks the heat off the pan?! It should not have been the case. Did you check with the manufacturers? It surely must be a pain.
    Hope to interact more on the site. Welcome to it.

L, Kamla

4. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

Hi All
    I just want to say that american homes do smell: they smell dusty since they don't clean it so often, they smell fry food and meat and fish... i really don't like it. Indian houses smell good and even other people say so. The problem is if we deep fry the chopped onions and galic. It's not good for the body also (bad for liver and diet). The candle reallt works and that is the reason in my familly we always have candle dinner!!! Opening tha window is the best but for some of us that leave in cold places not possible all the times!! Sometimes i boil water (not too much) with cinamon and aniseed: smells good and since the water evaporates the air is fresh again!

Best regards

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anamika,

Some nice tips from you.

It is nice to keep the house smelling clean and fresh, anyday. But it is wrong to generalize anything. I am sure some American houses do smell, just like some Indian houses too. But there are clean and unclean people everywhere.

Anyways, cooking smells are a problem for everyone, especially if you cannot open windows due to the weather outside.

L, Kamla

6. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

Dear Kamla: i agree with you, of course. I didn't mean to generalize. I'm very aware of bad coments abaut indian houses and i just wanted to state that no matter what culture you are in your behavior will always seem strange and be noticed by others and that i could notice some strange things abaut others as well but i don't go around and close myself to those people, say bad things or don't want to live near them. I also noticed that portuguese people drink too much alcool, that some european persons don't have a bath everyday, that brazilian peaple eat cow almost everyday and blody... and i keep learning the nice things about those cultures.:wave

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

It is more than a year of stay in IL and only today I happen to have a look at this subforum... :crazy of me.

I found it very useful but why has the discussion stopped..any particular reason or just like that. Mostly these discussion are pertaining to families living outside India but here too we face many problems..how do we deal with the same?

My main problem is...my house is situated right on the main road and dust is inevitable...the volume of sut accummulating is so much we just cannot manage to keep the house dust free...maybe now we are immune to it and started to live with the same. How do we manage this and keep the house atleast little tidy? Any suggestions dearie.

8. Mpreethi

Mpreethi New IL'ite

Re: Tip of the Day

i feel indoor plants gives us a pleasant feeling along with a small aquarium and also bells hung here and there gives good sound. we can even use nice aromatic agarbattis too.
    apart from all these good heart and desire to enjoy keeps a home a sweet home. :)

1 person likes this.