1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Objective of this Sub-Forum

Discussion in 'At Home' started by Kamla, Jun 19, 2006.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

pleasant beginning Kamala!

Very happy to see ladies discussing about IDEAL HOME here..
    I hope this forum will help me since we have got the "tharavadu" and is planning to renovate it. I always want to keep the home simply beautiful, and don't like to see the extra furniture around. But living here it is difficult to do like that with little space..
    It was my dream to live in a small house(if it is a hut, I love) near a stream, with a lovely garden around, reading Vidya's post it took me to my lost dream..Vidya pls start a thread sharing your experiences of living in various countries, other IL ites might also contribute in it, and it would be a pleasure for us to read...
    A big hand for the great ILite who has chosen the title IDEAL HOME!:clap

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varloo...

..I somehow missed out on your post earlier. Thanks for your warm welcoming words:)
    You put it in a nutshell..."Grass is greener on the other side"!! I too envy you for living so long in one place ..but then, you said it!
    I also wish that Vidya would elaborate her experiences of living in log cabins and canal houses. Maybe she is reading our posts and will oblige?:)
    As for home improvement tips, let us hope they pour in! It will be also a good idea to place our questions here referring to a particular aspect or problem in the house, others might respond then as it will be more focussed.
    Very often, I think about the old fashioned house my grandparents had in the busy area of 'town' in old Madras. It had a 'mungili' (telugu) or an open washing area in the centre of the house which opened up to the skies two stories above. As children, we loved it when the rain poured through it! Then there was a huge swing on which we had endless hours of fun swinging. The first floor drawing room had Tanjore paintings hanging all around the walls near to the ceiling. In my early teens, I thought the house was terribly old fashioned and ugly. But as I got older, I realised its' unending old world charm and beauty and am very sad today that it has been sold off!
    Every house has its' beauty and I am sure you will discover your house slowly and surely.

L, Kamla

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

dear Kamla,
    I went to one of my friend's house in Triplicane some 22 years back. It was the same as you have described, to the swing. I like such houses too. One of my brother's colleague had built a house in the nalu kettu style in Cochin. I like the glass roof, slanting one. I just love rain and would also like to live near a water front. But that also seems to have its drawbacks, it is very smelly during summer with the water stagnating. Till some yers back, this house had not been mine, in the true sense. I couldn't do anything I wanted to. And even though I live her for long, I do not much like my present house. It is not even near what I had in mind. I did not have any say in its construction and so I look forward to having at least one room which will be my dream room.
    With war wishes,
    varloo

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I salute!

Dear Varloo,
    I have not been exposed to combined family living under one roof. On the outset, it sounds fun to me. But my common sense tells me that it cannot be easy, especially for the women folk. I think that two women under one roof can be a challenge. Hence I have only respect and admiration towards all those women who somehow seem to manage that.
    I truly pray and wish that your little dream of a small comfy and cozy nook for yourself in your own home should come true soon:)
    During my visits to India, I see a lot of modern houses are fashioned after the western style. Unless very well planned, some of these houses don't seem to suit the Indian way of living or its climate. If I ever had the chance to build in India, I would opt for the old indian models for houses incorporating the modern amenities....and if wishes were horses...!!
    L, Kamla
    PS: BTW, what is the 'nalu kettu style'??

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Old Is Wonderful!

Hi all,

Nice forum . I love the old world style of house too, with the "Mitham and thavaram" . They are so beautiful to look at. I have seen some houses in chennai that have been built in this style but with modern amenities. The Chettinad style houses look so elegant.

Well, i will try to put in my 2 cents now and then with tips etc...

Vandhana

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    sometime back, there was a programme on NDTV on remodelling a room - balcony, toilet, bathroom any such room. I used to watch that and enjoy the difference once it was finished.
    A nice home is one which is very much functional, it doesnot matter if the house is big or small. I find that Keralites usually build bigger houses with aesthetic beauty. They also have plants around them. One reason may be the climate and plenty of rains. Chennai is very bad in this aspect, one has to struggle to keep a good garden. That may be the reason that many people are not interested to have gardens here. I have good space around my home an try to grow plants to the best of my ability. But it is tedious to maintain it.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

How can I not contribute my 2 cents ?

Dear Friends,
    I am reading with interest your dreams about " Ideal Home". when one lives outside India, "nalu kattu Veedu", " eduthu kattina veedu", house with mitham & thavaram - all soung very enjoyable & ideal ! Let me share with you, my experiences. When our chidren were entering teens, we built a big bungalow with a big garden, servants'quartes, a big verandah to sit & " sky gaze", a back side verandah for ammi, kallural & like things. My children got married when we were there & all related functions conducted there.
    Believe me, to mainatain that house I needed 4 servants - one full time, one part time, one gardener & one security. In an area like mylapore where the pollution is high, you cannot skip sweepping & swabbing even one day. Therewere 5 bathrooms to be cleaned. At that time, availabilty of labour was better than what it is today & I was younger too & could pitch in physically, whenever necessary. Maintaing my ideal home, spick & span was an exasperating job, given our Indian conditions.To be frank, that was my full time job as well.
    Once the children left the house, it was too big just for the two of us ! Labour or servant problem had started showing its ugly head. So reluctantly, we sold the bungalow & bought a 3 bedroomed big flat. That is more because the children felt that we should not " psychologically" feel unhappy about shiftinfg to a small place from a big bungalow. Now I find that even this is too big & not easy to maintain with just one servant. Thank God, now Chennai flats have a common security system & that is one relief. If the maid takes leave, I had it ! The pollution is so bad that you cannot help just leaving it, uncleaned. If there had been a garden, I would have had that job also. If there was a " beautiful stream" - in Chennai, it will be infested with mosquitoes in no time. Facing perennial water problem, we have to give more importance to
    practical solutions than to " aesthetic beauty". As we grow in age, the focus shifts to " minimum functional" house. The only " old time" luxury I have is a beautiful oonjal in my drawing room & that needs no maintenance ! In the U S, my friends buy 3 & 4 bedroomed houses & maintain. But in Chennai, it is the toughest thing. Our country & living conditions are different. There was a mention of Chettinad old type houses. I know from my friends, they are more for " pride of possession" & for utility they have a small house, easy to maintain for daily use.
    So when age catches up, " maintenance" without dependance on a maid etc takes precedence & the whole concept changes ! " Utility" rather than " dream"
    seems to be the essential ingredient for my " ideal home".
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Giri12 likes this.
  9. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Kamla, thanx for starting this thread...........

Hello ladies,

wow, nice to see so many come up with so many thoughts & dreams about home.
    We are constructing a house right now & we did try to plan it differently. its a nice functional place. We do have a open garden . the french windows of my bedroom opens to the garden space. Now, we are not able to decide if it shld be just grilled so rain comes in or cover it with glass so no rain but enough light & air. We do have a balcony with 5 pillars which looks more greek in architecture. We are yet to decide on the name too.

Old & antique has value now. most of the new houses try to incorporate some of the old designs or the least decorate with antique furnitures & pieces.

Varloo, if you interested in prog related to home improvement, pls watch Home shanthi Home on star one, every sunday 11 am. You do get to see a lot about home-decor in Travel & Living. we did pick up few designs from these progs.

I'm also eager to see our beautiful lady, Vidya's post on diff houses that she'd mentioned.

Kamla, thanks for sharing the hindu clip on chettinad houses - one of my friend has a open bathroom built- only the bath area is slightly lower & she has a huge window to the side just grilled with no glass & outside she's enough plants to cover up the area so nobody can peep thru nor will know. they have enough space in the backyard & few trees & a high compound wall. Ceiling is glass. I find that place sexy..

Does anyone watch Inntimate escapes on Travel & Living channel - they once showed a hotel at the Capri Islands with a open bathroom. It just opens to the sky & faces the sea. the shower stands on a rock & It was the most beautiful bathroom I've ever seen. it doesn't look like you are inside a room. I've visited the capri islands & could relate to that beautiful place.

Now, what is an ideal home??? what would make our home an ideal one???? how do we work towards it???? would lilke to read more & more on it.

I feel at home whenever I visit this thread & Kamla thanx again..

Love,

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

You remind me..

of my sister Chitra, with the talk of practicality, servants and cleanliness! When I visit India, after the first hugs and how do you do's, all I hear from both my mom and sis is the 'maid puranam'! Their wake up thoughts will be whether the servant will turn up for work that day or not..and quite often she obliges by not turning up..they just don't like added guests to the house!!
    Your post was a shake up call to all our dreams. True, it is not easy to maintain all those thavarams and mithams, pollution not being unique to Madras alone in India! Besides, if you are anal about cleanliness like my mom and sis are, it is almost impossible to give in to fancy additions. Besides, if the house is not really really clean, bugs and other living 'things' will habitat your house!
    What use is a house if you are going to build an annexe and gaze at it?! I fail to understand the concept and do not comprehend. Even I know of people in India who have kitchens and bathrooms fitted with marble and units imported from Italy and other foreign lands, but have extra utility kitchens and b'rooms which are actually used!???
    But then, who am I, I do not live in India and cannot be passing comments I guess.
    All the same, your old house sounds like a dream. Maybe you can share some pics with us Chitra?
    Love, Kamla