1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Obama wouldn't the racial intolerance shock MLK?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Officer who assaulted Sureshbhai arrested; FBI to probe matter

An indian origin, permanent resident of USA, grandfather was pushed to ground as he was walking on the streets. He didn't know English and couldn't answer officer's question. He was pushed to the ground and is now paralyzed.

Obama commented about "Religious intolerance shocking Gandhi" I think Modi should tell him about "Racial intolerance shocking Martin Luther King".

The video is horrific and i was shocked about the way a senior citizen was pushed to ground. Hope he recovers soon and the officers are taken to task. It is surprising that there is no word yet from the mayor of the city or even from the Governor.

I think the Indian Government should raise this issue with full force on the US Government. Maybe Modi can use his hotline now.

9 people like this.

2. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I think the city police apologized and FBI is probing. The officer who assulted is arrested and has lost or likely to lose his job. I think the old man is also suing the city and may win the case or some settlement.

I am not sure if anything more is really warranted. I feel OK about how the city and US responded.

2 people like this.
  3. sherlock

sherlock Senior IL'ite

I think its kind of hard to make a case that this incident was "racial".

The police were responding to a call, and repeatedly warned him to stop pulling away and trying to walk away after he was handcuffed, and that they were going to put him on the ground if he continued.

There was obviously a language barrier, but are police supposed to speak the language of every suspect?

Apparently one of the police officers has been arrested, but I seriously doubt those charges will stick.

Its easy to see both sides of this story. If I were in India and stopped by the police, I certainly wouldnt just try to walk away.

1 person likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha, Gandhi would no doubt be happy at US actions in Libya assassinating President Gaddafis family and its actions in Afghanistan and Iraq where under the pretext of fighting terror, there was a hell lot of collateral damage of innocent citizens.

4 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,

Horrific incident really, When u see the person is unarmed, what is the need for the show of strength.

Sad really what happened, they must look in first before they ask india about religion intolerance.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Akanksha
    Yeah i saw the news on T.V. But to be frank, i just saw it as another issue of police excesses. But yes, i was very much irritated when i saw Obama preaching to India about religious intolerance, when he has similar issues to deal with in his own backyard. It is a case of Big Brother preaching to a lowly nation.
    Even in india we have cases of police getting on their high horse and beating the common man. But if every issue is given a racial or a religious color, then we will just be spreading intolerance. Instead let's behave humanely and c it in the light of a harmless humanbeing being treated badly.

3 people like this.
  7. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

@Akanksha
    Yes I saw the news on tv and it was horrifying to see such incident. So Obama was giving lecture on Indian religious tolerance.Now what about your backyard.Every week some black or brown is shot ,hit ,killed by policemen.Already Ferguson incident has been branded as the Tinamen square of US where one cannot protest as in a democracy. The US has the largest number of incarcerated people in the world, far more than the dictatorships and totalitarian regimes it chastises (and also patronizes), and it hardly seems embarrassed about its awful record.

1 person likes this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I am confused if the person is permanent US resident how come he doesnt know english?

Though what the authorities did is very wrong looks like US too heading UK way

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,

We have to honestly admit that it has been a concern in the US for the past few years about excessive use of force by the police department. Especially, it is horrifying to know that a senior person who does not speak English was tackled face down and is undergoing partial paralysis.

I think the root cause of this problem is the gun culture in the US as police department is unable to differentiate who would be bearing arms and who would not. Moreover, many US citizens have a tendency to report almost anything even if a senior person was walking looking around. Honestly, we don't want officers to be hurt at work at the same time not hurt other innocent citizens through excessive use of force. It becomes much more difficult for police force also if the person does not speak English.

To be honest to the President, he has been raising this issue through the Department of Justice for a while now. However, it is very painful to hear about an innocent senior getting hurt and no matter what action is taken, he is going to suffer for the rest of his life. Earlier, an innocent young AfAm was killed for playing with a toy pistol and making snow balls.

It is time to revisit the police training and modify the circumstances that should lead to use of force. It is time for the police force to wear camera in person. I am hoping that would change the attitude to use force first as it would be reviewed later.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.