1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Nutty about Nuts !

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sabitha_K, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites ,

I love nuts and in a way addicted to the sensual taste of cashewnuts, badam, pista and raisins.

I begin my day by having a handful of almonds soaked in water the previous day.During the day I munch now and then on cashews and raisins.

Now my query is too much of anything is not good for health.So can anyone advise me regarding the quantity of nuts that can be consumed in a day.Are there any adverse affects of taking nuts everyday?

Looking forward to your reponses.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Hi nutty sorry sabhita,
    no problem you can munch as much as possible. i think cashew will have some side effects. i will soak bhadam , grind it in mixie and use for face pack!!!:)
    i think i've answered your question.

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

Almonds are extremely good for health (as you already know), since they are believed to increase the good cholesterol and rich in vitamins. A handful of almonds is recommended everyday. Infact, there is no need to soak them, we can just eat it raw,unsoaked. Of course, that is your personal preference.:)

Raisins are also very nutritious along with dates (for iron content). It is better to have cashews in moderation when compared to Almonds.

Pistachios are also a fantastic source of anti-oxidants, good for heart and are believed to reduce the bad cholesterol levels. Probably you can have some daily for snacking.

Go Nuts!! Big Laugh

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi sabi,
    For nuts,a handful is the right amount to be consumed in a day.
    Raisins- 10-15
    Dates- 5
    from what i have read and understood,the natural sweetner in raisin and dates should be limited.And nuts do have fat accumulating capacity.

5. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

Dear nutty Sabitha !!!
    Long time no hear ?!

Well, coming to the topic ....... nuts are very nutritious. They are rich in fibre, protien and the 'good' fats, ie, mono saturated and poly unsaturated fats . Walnut is a healthy source of omega3 fat. Nuts are high in calories too ! SO, good in moderation. ALmonds you may take daily....and as you are already doing, they are best in the morning. They are very alkaline in nature too. ( alkaline food best for health). A fistful of almonds daily is fine, cashews and peanuts also fine but few! Peanuts are high caloric though. It is said 1 peanut is equavalent to a glass of fresh orange juice !!(calorie wise). Do not take too much of dates and raisins !
    Nuts are filling, due to thier fibre +protien content, so you will eat less later !!

Be ahppy....go nutting !!!

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Padmini, Krithika ,Supriya and Anamika thanks a lot for sharing such useful information regarding nuts.

Like everyone has suggested I shall cut down on my intake of cashews.

Another query , what is the scientific reason behind soaking almonds prior to consumption.I thought that raw almonds may result in indigestion.Krithika's words made me google in net and there are mixed reviews about almonds being eaten raw.Some of them suggest it is good to be eaten raw and other suggest there is protein which gets released when soaked.I love having them raw but thought it wasn't good for some reason.

From personal experiences, which one do you prefer ?

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Sabitha,

Personally, I prefer eating them raw and give the same for my children too for many years now. Touch wood..no problem as of now.

But some people do soak it before consuming it, but I feel it is more crunchy when eaten raw!:)