Nutmeg and mace.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by caligirl, Jan 12, 2010.

1. caligirl

caligirl New IL'ite

Hey all,
    I need your help reg some spices.
    Can yu plz tell my how to use nutmeg and mace in cooking.
    I ve used them as is (whole) but they impart a bitter taste in my gravy.
    Do i need to grind them or roast them before use?
    Esp the nutmeg has a shell..... Do i need to remove that?
    I m really confused in this regard.
    I m attaching the pics of both spices.
    Should i crush the nutmeg as in the pic?

Thanq fr yr help.

Attached Files:

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I use nutmeg frequently. It is very strong so you only would use perhaps 1/4 tsp of the powder or less per recipe. It is good to use in cooking greens like kale or rapini, nice sprinkled on top of baked egg custard, good in baked goods esp containing apples.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

Hi Caligirl

As you said, nutmeg comes in a shell. You have to break the shell and take the fruit inside. This fruit has to be grated using a very fine grater and this powder is to be used. Grate the fruit as required and store the rest of it in an air tight container in the freezer. Normally very small quantity of nutmeg is required; just a pinch or two. If you use too much then it will taste bitter. I have never come across a recipe requiring whole nutmeg. Nutmeg can be used in kheer / pysam or any other sweet. After you finish cooking the dish just sprinkle a pinch of grated nutmeg. It will give a nice flavour and aroma. Amongst other things, nutmeg is also used in baking and making some pasta sauces. Grated nutmeg and honey is also supposed to be good for curing acne / scars.

Mace can be used as is or can be ground and used depending on what the recipe calls for. You can use mace while making pulao. When you add the bay leaf, cinnamon, clove etc at the beginning, you can also add a piece or two of mace.

Hope this helps.

4. caligirl

caligirl New IL'ite

hey tashidelek2002: thanq fr yr prompt answer. I m trying to use it in a veg gravy too.:)

@blissful: thanq fr yr detailed answer. Yu wont believe i ve been using the nytneg with shell on for the past week and wondering why its so bitter. lol.

One more question: Do i need to use the nutmeg at the initial stage when adding onions to oil or at the last stage before serving?

Thanq fr all yr help.

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sprinkling nutmeg powder just before serving or after removing the dish from fire is best always, since it retails the flavor for long time..avoids bitterness too

As blissful said you can use mace for all spicy dishes like kurma,pulao and briyani..I love it in briyani..Just while tempering cloves and bay leaves add this too..very little is enough..the flavor fills the kitchen :crazy

6. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Cali Girl,

I buy nutmeg powder from Trader Joe's, for grating, grinding to use a pinch of it might be a bit of work. Similarly you get ground mace too.

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Cgirl;
    You have to break the shell (chapati roller will help) and grate it.
    You can use in biryani or any dishes to enhance flavour. Same with mace.I use grated nutmeg while making carrot cake.
    Keralites make "moru kaciyathu" almost like Kadhi minus besan. If you add nutmeg (grated) to it; it is flavourful and good for stomach. Its given to kids having stomach pain.
    -Nitha

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have a nutmeg grater. You put the whole nutmeg into it and it grinds a little off it as you need it like a pepper mill. It is a very handy item.

9. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

Whole mace is normally added at the time of tempering while making biryani / pulao.

Ground mace is normally added along with the other spices.

Grated nutmeg is added after switching off the flame, preferably just before serving.

Regards,
    Bliss

10. caligirl

caligirl New IL'ite

Wow!!
    Thanq girls for all yr help.
    Thanq for all yr advice.
    I m ready to explore the wonders of nutmeg!!