Nursery/Preschool/Playschool/Kindergarten Queries!

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by peekyboo, Mar 13, 2008.

Which school does your child go to?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. Indian School

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Local School

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

re: Nursery/Preschool/Playschool/Kindergarten Queries!

Sorry I did not..firstly location and also I dont know what kind of demand I will get from the locals here.. However,I am looking into local pre-schools now. Thanks!

2. lovesew

lovesew New IL'ite

Re: Pre School in West

Hi Poornima,
    As peekyboo said, tumble tots is good. You can take your daughter for the trial class. they also have gym class on weekends. MMI at jurong in the same building as NTUC.
    My daughter is 3 yrs, i sometimes take her for the gym class at tumbletots. She is attending playschool near my block. next yr will be nursery at St francis, jurong west.

I have heard about carpe diem. they have one branch in Bt batok. Please check if it is day care or playgroup.

Rgds,
    Jinda

3. Noorie

Noorie New IL'ite

Hello

I even stays in bukit batok, my chidren used to go in Justkid near bukit batok central. Its quiet good.

If you need any more information let me know. I stays near keming school.

Cheers

4. sweta singh

sweta singh New IL'ite

Hi peekyboo

where do u stay in singapore?I stay in tampines.

5. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Peehyboo..Thanks a lot. I logged in to their site and found jalan kechil and jurong east closeby to my place. Called them up..no answer. Will try in the morn. I shall also check MMI if they have any center in Bukit Batok. They have one in Bukit Gombak I think.

Hi lovesew..I once called up Carpe Diem. I was not too sure if it was good as the lady seemed to be in a hurry to give me details. BTW, what is the difference between playgroup and child care?:hide: When I call up the centers and tell them my requirements ie, part time for my daughter, they still give me the timings and charges. Is there anything specific that I am missing herebonk?

Hi Noorie..yeah, I did call up and register at JustKids. But I havent really gone there to have a look at it. Shall do it sometime next week. Gearing up for Hari Raya..Advance Wishes!!

One common question to all of you...what did you look for in the play school when you admitted your child?

How about meeting up friends??????????? I guess Hort Park is good. It has a lot of activity for children and also a vast open area where adults can also play. Maybe, if we can arrange a potluck party, it should be fun. Like the idea??????? Lets get together if time permits.

Thanks to all of you once again for the valid info.

Poornima.

6. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

hi,

There is little learners very near the bukit gombak mrt . It is located inside the community centre. There are quiet a number of Indian kids there especially in the second session. you can contact hong kah north cc at 65673130.

7. lovesew

lovesew New IL'ite

Hi Poornima,

Childcare is like a daycare, mainly for the working moms. They have full day or halfday.

Playgroup is normally only 2 hrs.
    I check normally for cleanliness, friendly teacher and also convinence dropping and picking up.
    You can check the MOE website for thelist and see which one is near.

Hope this helps

By the way, where is Hort park?

Rgds,
    Jinda

8. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

hii :hiya , me I look for :

-How the teacher interacts with the kids..whether she smiles or pulls sulky face.
    -Facilities of the school,as the child will continue until KG there.
    - Food menu
    -Cleanliness
    -Curriculum

I sit and chat with both teacher and supervisor and see how they communicate with parents.
    One thing for sure, after going through many centres for my child,,I mean ..homework..I chose MMI as they really develop the child to be responsible and diligent.

Different centres have different kind of staff. Example :

1) My older boy ,going K2 soon, he joined MMI West Coast at the age of 3,first started with twice a week playgroup.Once he settled,I moved to thrice ,and so on.He was a very quiet child and had lot of change of teacher until 1 Indian teacher came along and she really moulded him.I must say the teacher ,who is with him till now,is really extraordinary cos when I observe her during Speech & Drama etc..she is really good... My boy has become very intelligent.
    Now that I have moved to Jurong, my older one still goes to Clementi MMI.Even the Indian supervisor there constantly acts on parent's feedback,and I must say I give regular feedbacks to them.

2) My younger one now in N1, started with playgrp at same school but I had to force him to school as he doesnt like it... even I dint like the Chinese teacher cos she wasnt very loving..but now I have put him in MMI Jurong West Extn.... he is under a Indian teacher now, named Ms Mala..and he loves going to school.

One thing you can do is to go to this website :KiasuParents.com | ... because we not stupid too and go under Forum...you will read up a lot on the childcare or pre school info there..its really informative.

To Lovesew : You mentioned that your child will be going to St Francis,where are you staying ? Initially,when I shifted to Westwood Ave, I wanted to put my boy there ..but I didnt get much info..so remained at MMI.

9. peekyboo

peekyboo Senior IL'ite

:hiya dear ,I am at Westwood Ave, Floravale .:coffee

10. lovesew

lovesew New IL'ite

hiPeekyboo,
    I stay near IMM. I had checked a few schools this area, and this is what I liked. Kind of remind me of my school:)

Rgds,
    Jinda