1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Numbers Were Invented To Count Money?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 27, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

NUMBERS WERE INVENTED TO COUNT MONEY?

I somehow believe that numbers were invented to count money or what money can buy. In the beginning they did not need to do any counting and so there was no need for numbers also. Besides they did barter. May be I am totally wrong. There must have been some way of knowing 'how many' after Adam and Eve met but certainly it was not for counting money. Some say it was animals- cows, goats, sheep-used for barter.

Again no one can say for sure when these animals were replaced by coins. Those interested can google but that will not change the basic premise of this post. For establishing their authority, the Kings introduced coins made of gold, silver and cheap metals as legal tender for transactions. As the story goes, Badshaha Humayun was once saved by a Bhisty (a low caste man, one who carries water in a leather sack on his back for cleaning streets and watering plants) from drowning in a river Yamuna. The Badshaha rewarded him with one wish. The Bhisti wished to be made Badshaha for a day. His wish was granted. He introduced leather coins, as legal tender for that day. I think people realized the need for learning counting to count the huge collection of coins they accumulated. Subsequently these coins were replaced by paper currency. But the purpose of numbers remained the same - counting money.

Since then we have come a long way. Today numbers denote money.

If i say I own a flat, I mean I have spent X amount of money for owning that flat.
    If I say I have X numbers of suits, shirts, shoes, ties, or what ever I have, in short I am saying I am worth this in money terms.
    This is about material possessions.

Then come human relations.
    If I say I have an army of friends, I, in fact want to say I have so much of money to maintain that army. Friends do not come cheap.
    There is no exception to wife or children, relatives- the more of them, the more is the need for money and the more the need for numbers to count that money.

Even maintaining spirituality is a number game of money. Gurus, particularly Baba type gurus do not come cheap. Think of Babas and you will be reminded of Rampal, Asharam, and now Dr. Gurumeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan of Dera Sachcha Sauda, Sirsa, India.

May be in the beginning knowing counting up to hundred or thousand was okay. Based on needs and prevailing costs, the numbers had to go up and millions, billions, trillions were added later.

What do you say?

shyamala1234, teenulahari and Kamalji like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Bhai,
    Yes who knows when counting was introduced.but it surely has made life interesting.bill gates is no 1 BCS of counting ,no?
    Good one.
    Regards
    Kamal

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Other things may be about counting. But family......if you spend for them do we really need to count? Do we not do out of love for them? Bringing up children, education, marriages, taking care of spouse.....all these are priceless!
    Friends do not come cheap! Are we not all friends (virtual may be) and do care . Where does money come into picture?
    Counting machines have come to count money.
    Syamala

4. HariLakhera

Shyamala ji,
    You say priceless and they say (I mean not all) it was your duty, since you brought us on this rough and tough planet. News papers are every day reporting children killing their parents for their property which is money. And not to mention deserting them when they need the most. My hint is towards such happenings.
    Thank god, such cases are few but increasing.

5. HariLakhera

Haha. Kamalji, you said it ! I was told that as per Hindu scriptures, counting starting the day the universe was created in much that the end will come in 100000000000000000000000000000000 years of Brahma which again is of 100000000000000000 of mortal years. I did not count the sunyas (zeros) .

6. mushroomm

mushroomm Bronze IL'ite

It was barter system but one has to count the number of animals or items exchanged so it's balanced on both sides and is a fair trade... Babylonians may have wanted to count the number of sunny days or maybe the Egyptians had the need to know how many pyramids they built or how many slave men were employed to build these pyramids... The Greeks on the other hand may have liked to know the many gods, demi gods they worshipped and probably the Arab king was keeping count of the 1000 nights he was fooled by his concubine... Many assumptions like these are possible... I think it was not meant for only counting money.

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. mushroomm

mushroomm Bronze IL'ite

I looked up and found an useful video...

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari,
    Numbers are invented to count the money offered in Thirupathi Venkatachalapthi Hundi and Palani Murugan Hundi.
    This money is utilised for public welfare and charity.
    PS

HariLakhera likes this.