NRI's returning to india...

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Mindian, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Manaswini,
    Both of us have a lot of contacts in the IT industry here. I have schoolmates/college mates in various orgs in B'lore and networking was how I found positions in Blr, got quite a few offers in a matter of weeks. Try contacting ur friends/relatives in your field.
    Unfortunately, now there is a hiring freeze in most orgs. Maybe you can look for small startups or something. Sal won't be as good as it was at tis time last yr.
    Btw, I decided not to go back to work here because of the work culture here. In my line of work, I was clearly told at the interview stages itself that I will have to put in 10 hr days and not to expect the 8hrs that I was used to in the US. Add to it the horrendous commute in BLR and I would have had no time for home. The only place where I found a woman friendly work atmosphere recommended by a good friend had a hiring freeze before they could come up with my offer so that is on hold for now bonk
    I'm not trying to scare you but it is definitely different from what we are used to. I'm trying to change my career by completing an imcomplete masters in a diff field, something that I've also loved to do.
    Hoping that the economy revives!!

Btw, get prepared for interview Qs that sound like a viva in a Master's course. Get prepared for personal Qs. I was asked a variety of Qs -

1) Why did you come back from America?
    2) Are you happy in Bangalore?
    3)
    Interviewer - Why did you take a break?
    Me - Had a kid and wanted to spend time.
    Interviewer - Ah, so how will you take care of kid and husband and work now if you could not do it in the past?
    Me(in my head) - Rantthat is not his business, i can sue him for that
    Me(to interviewer) - I have worked for 3 yrs after that break and have grown exponentially in my career and have managed my home too, so that should not concern you..
    Interview - yes, yes, you are right. I just wanted to see if you can take the stress of being an Architect. It is quite different to be an architect on the client side and a client facing Architect, it is more stressful bonk

Then I attended many more interviews and every single one of them wanted to know why I came back, why I needed a personal break when I had the baby...
    Now I know that such Qs are expected. All my friends in India who have taken career breaks have had to justify it.

Good Luck in your job search. Let me know if you need more help..
    :cheers
    L

2. comal

comal New IL'ite

Me and my family are planning to return to India too. How can I find these return2india forums? I tried google but could not find the relevant link. Please advise.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi girls..

sorry i never came back to this post but thats because our plans to return back got shelved...now with my dd doing her grads here itself looks like we will be here for some more time:) thanks for all the info...

laks, i enjoyed your interview::biglaugh

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

5. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

6. NAYA

NAYA Senior IL'ite

Hello Friends,
    We are returning to India by April this year and this happened unexpectedly and have less time.
    I don't really know what are all I need to bring from here, it will be a great help if you all pour your suggestions and tips in packing the things.
    We will have 2 adult tickets and 2 child tickets and apart of clothes have some computer books(30),toys.
    I want to sell furniture, PC, printer, T.V etc no plan to ship.

Please give your suggestions what ever comes in mind.
    Thanks in advance
    NAYA

7. csailaja

csailaja Senior IL'ite

hello NAYA,

WE recently r2i (6 months back).

1.)if your child is younger try to bring puzzels,toys,building blocks,razor folding scooter,wheel shoes,some story books initially , now a days you can find book rental shops here(in hyderabad).

2.)if you can get nonstick cooking utencils hard anadoized ones it would be better,perfumes,cetaphil cream.

3.)now a days everything is available here.

hope this post may be helpful to you
    radhika.

8. NAYA

NAYA Senior IL'ite

Thank u so much Radhika for the suggestions
    My son & daughter are 4 & 3 years old ,already placed order on amazon for some DVD's ,books as they like to watch calliou,curious geroge, arthur from Pbskids.

radhika just want to know that did u ship your things or got through checked in baggage rules .
    I have IT text books which will be lot of weight & toys don't no how to pack them as the suitcases and bags will be filled with clothes.

9. csailaja

csailaja Senior IL'ite

Sorry NAYA,
    for the late post.

we didnot ship anything. we packed only the suitcases.

before r2i completely we came for the admission for our children who are in middle schools. that way we could get the luggage with out shipping.

thankyou.
    Radhika