NRI kids :Problems/solutions they face reg 2nd language

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by geetha123, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sky

Govt. of Tamil Nadu - Textbooks Online
    ... you will get to have a look of the tamil syllabbus and also have an idea to teach him.since he is still young, he will definitely catch fast.only thing as a parent we should give the child some adjusting time..and not force them about the performance as long as they give their best shot.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Geeta
    I do agree with you 2nd language is a problem in India. Being a NRI for the last 9 yrs My son has not studied continuously for more then 2 an 1/2 yr in any of the school. Even when I was in India. From the very beginning. From jr kg till 3rd he did his 2nd language in hindi and after that we left India. later he took french but since we did not get good education in fiji for 5th I had to keep him in India for 2 yrs but always carried some hindi story books or essay books and made him read those books so that he will not forget the language so that was very helpful for me when I had to keep him in India for 5th and 6th class later when got transfered to malaysia got him back with us since then and continued with french till 8th and then we went to Australia and he continued with the same and now we are here and he is doing his 12th class but this year he has taken Spanish.
    But now a days in all the good schools we do have additional english or some foreign language which we can choose. Or can try for an international schools where you will not face this problem.
    But it is always helpful to carry the 2nd language books with us and teach them little bit, so that we will not face any problems when we go back to India.

3. sara2003

sara2003 New IL'ite

Hi
    I stay at NJ.iam also really confused about R2I.I have 2 kids 6 yr old and 2.5 yr old.My daughter goes to first grad here.I wish to go back to India as Iam worried about her education.mainly because of the amount of syllabus indian schools have and pressure in which kids study these days with the competing peers.
    I wish to go back to india and put my daughter in second grade but my husband says lets wait for on more year.
    Please advice is it advisable to go back to put her in 2nd std there so that she will not have more pressure on portions manily SECOND language or will be be able to cope up from 3rd grade starting in india???

Thanks

4. av0608

av0608 New IL'ite

selecting second language for 1st std (tamil or hindi)

Hi

I am planning to come back to india for my kids schooling. my son will come for his 2nd grade to india. is taking hindi better than taking tamil as i heard hindi is easy to score mark than tamil in 10th exam. pl let me know. i want to start teaching him before we are back to india.

thanks

5. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Re: selecting second language for 1st std (tamil or hindi)

Scoring high marks in Hindi or Tamil in the board exams actually has no significance, because at the end of the day it is what the child has scored in the mains that matters. Scoring well in PCM for instance could enable him to take the science stream. This is how it works...schools don't look at the overall percentage. The aggregate of the subjects in the stream you are interested in is considered.

6. av0608

av0608 New IL'ite

hi,

thanks for the reply so u say it does not matter but the total percentage of mark comes down and that will affect his score that was what i was worried about. anyway thanks for the reply.

regards

7. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

Always select a language which you know and can teach your kids, as their second language in school. Because, if you select a second language for them, which you dont know, then it will be difficult for them to learn it, as you cannot depend upon school teaching alone, if it is not your mother tongue or a language you know.

Learning is more important than scoring marks. So make a wise decision.:thumbsup

8. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Agree the total percentage may come down or go up. But then it is totally irrelevant unless ofcourse the child is persuing the language as part of his studies. The total percentage does not help in stream selection...for that one has to do well in the concerned subjects.

9. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Do you know where are you going to settle in India? If its going to be somewhere within TN tamil is okay, else Hindi will be a better choice.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sara, all the best for your return. Kids at the age like your daughter are the most resilient and they can learn new languages easily. and second language will be tough initially as any other new language..and we as parents need to let go of the pressure that our kids should get 100% and give them time to learn and understand it.

av,

I am sure your kiddo is still not in 9th to worry so much about his scoring..
    there is a change in the cbse scenario every day. the board is trying to accomodate the returning indians..in this kind of scenario, you chose the language that the school allows, and that you feel is comfortable.

forget scoring at 2nd standard. with no marks, only grading there will more changes by the time your son comes to the tenth.

do not look for a school/language for scoring..at 2nd standard, allow your son the freedom to learn the new language. and i know kids who have learnt a new language at 5th standard..and scoring well too without any tutions.

just give him feelers of the new language..
    all the best..