1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Now what??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Stillagirl, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Stillagirl

Stillagirl New IL'ite

Thank You Priya, Uma, Kinjal, PetiteFashion and SG for your insights...they helped me the last few days to gain some strength and perspective.

I would like to update you on wht happened now...Recently, my husband called up my mother to "tell her his version". my husband is one of the best smooth talkers one can ever meet, may I just add...I fell for this trait that he speaks in the most convincing manner and some time ago, I loved this quality till he started using this against me cos whenever we would fight, he would call his parents to our room or take me down there. The problem with me is I am very particular about not making a scene in front of his parents or his house, so I always keep my mouth shut when they come up because a) I do not want to discuss my matters with them b) they being the boy's parents always always support him ofcourse.

Anyway, sorry I went off the topic...In his phone call, he told my mother that "Maa, since I am so close to you I thought you should also listen to your son and not just your daughter who may have told you lies...Maa, I cared for her so much, all the care in the world and she doesnt love me... because in one silly fight, I asked her to leave and she left, that too because she and only she completely provoked me! She must have told you so many stories, but I thought you should also hear me"

He very conveniently forgot all the stuff he said and what exactly my provocation was, he also did not mention his father's abuses or that they locked me up

Even if I want to imagine in future some life with him, I know am starting to feel less and less respect for him....how cowardly of him to try and put the blame completely on me when his folks tried to lock me and he is the one who asked me to leave...

I am wondering now....Is he even worth it?
    :rant

2. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Hi Girl... you have taken ONE BIG BOLD STEP!!!:thumbsup
    don't look back... there is a wonderful life waiting for you ahead.. think of your future leave the past behind... if fate has it then your hubby will come after you one day and realise his mistakes otherwise believe me you are better off without him....
    Take each day as it comes.
    please don't get conned by his sweet talk and again make the mistake of returning to your in-laws house as this will give them further encouragement to abuse you.
    It is but natural that you will miss your hubby initiallyafter all you loved him!!! you may wonder throughout your life whether this was a correct step but have faith in your instincts and convictions.
    All the best to you...
    K

3. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to you my dear,

U dared to come out of the house in that critical situation, hats off.

First of all your FIL has no rights to use such words on you, it shows their cheap culture, and your hubby keeping quite and nodding his head is untolerable.

Ur DH is very very insecured because he is financially dependent on you FIL, if only he had confidence of earning his own money then definetly he would have sided you, its no use of thinking of this person who has no capability to move out and run a family.

First make your self financially independent, that will boost your confidence and you can sternly tell everyone in your inlaws house that you deserve respect.

I feel sorry that your mother also has mistaken you, try convincing her that you, coming out of your inlaws house has valid reasons, if still she is not convinced then just forget it and try to move on...

Since you are still young concentrate on your career, make lot of savings and if your DH still loves he will come to you again, this time no false promises, just say you are going to move to your new house, so make sure you take a separate house and then settle down.

Please don't take any decision in haste, sit down and think if you really want to live with this man who put you down in front of his own parents.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. Stillagirl

Stillagirl New IL'ite

To update my status fellow ILites,

My husband has made it clear to me that he holds me and only me responsible for everything, including the fact that he asked me to get out, which he says was my fault since I irritate him....next he says his father is right in yelling at me because I refused to discuss my problems with him....he says even when he asked to discuss, if I say no, it pisses him off so as an elder he has the right to abuse me.

I feel saddened immensely by his logic, and my heart breaks that he thinks so shallow...just by virtue of the fact that I am his wife, it means I have no right to my choices...I will never discuss my problems with his father because I dont want to....does it mean he is entitled to abuse me and lock me up? Why does my husband think like a man from the BC where I am his/his family's property?

Please help!!!

5. fudge

fudge Senior IL'ite

Hi First of all I dont understand how you fell in love. cos though not completely atleast 75% you shoud have known abt him. Looks like you never really understood him. Anywaz no use thing over the past, you need to think of your future. As everyone advised first try to fix your career after that the way you approach your problem will change. Dont take any hasty decisions. After you settle in a job think over the problem. Look at the problem from outside the box. Have an open discussion with your DH. Talk to him and ask what mistake did you do. cos everyone will think they are right and the other person is at fault. Only if you talk to your hubby you will know his side of the story.So you talk to him, tell him how you feel abt his dads approach. Ask him to find a job on his own and you guys try living seperately with no ones interventions. Marriage is not something to be broken at the drop of a hat, try to work on it. Ofcourse you can divorce and walk out of your marriage but even that should be meaningful.

6. Stillagirl

Stillagirl New IL'ite

Hello Fudge,

Thank you for taking the time to post your response. I understand that your intent was to help. However, I do feel you are unjustified in some of your statements!

That is a very strong statement. There is no one who claims to understand someone else 100% , Fudge. Whether the marriage is love or arranged, it is not possible to know your spouse's way of thinking on every issue. I certainly did not analyse in our college days whether in a situation when his father would yell at me, he would support me or not, because there was no way of knowing this would be possible , is there? There is no % that can be alloted to knowing a person...I fell in love because I believed him to be a good person and that he loves me.

Again, I firmly feel that such a comment should only be made after a little consideration on your part. It is sad that even in this day and age a boy's parents, similar to my husband's, will encourage their sons to leave their wives for something as trivial as wanting to wear salwar kurta in places of saree since they wud regard it as uncultural but women will advice other women to not break a marriage "at the drop of a hat" even if that "drop" is emotional and physical abuse!!! Indeed, if this is a "drop of the hat" issue, I reallly do not know what can be major issue.

I have been taught by my parents to never let someone insult my dignity and stand up for myself and hence, I feel my FIL's and in-laws behaviour is barbaric...Nevertheless, understanding that it is a marriage that is at stake, i am seeking out to some of the wiser lot here to help me with some pearls of wisdom...Like I mentioned, even when I tried to talk to my husband, all he said was that it was all my fault since i do not do exactly what they ask me to do...so I stand helpless! I do not know how to salvage this marriage inspite of my best intent :((((

7. rishtha

rishtha New IL'ite

Guys should be self made; just like your husband not respecting you , you FIL will never respect his son............

Do you think your husband is doing this out of his will? i think he is doing this because he is extremely dependant.

your FIL may be controlling; you dont have to be submissive to anyone.

you stand up for yourself show your husband that you can become financially indepedant atleast tht will throw some sense into him.........

while tables wont turn in a day...........you need patience and hope and lot of positive enthusiasm to stick in this marriage.

to start with start working........

8. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Still.. if you really cant put up to expectations of these ppl (like many of us) then you have to move out.. with most of us, DH had their own job and no family business, for you u'll have to move out alone.

Remain in contact with your DH...
    From what I read you've done enuff to make this marriage work, you really cant continue living in a house where there's no dignity.... this is a great fear that grips a gal whenever a business family alliance comes up.

If I were at your position. I would have done the same to first goto parent's place, then find a job since ur from a major B school & recessionary phase is getting over... give a complete space to married life.. & really look forward in life.. there are no kids & even if this was a love marr then I cant live under these circumstances just becos of that... when there's love the other person ensures to make your life better rather than defaming you in front of your own parents.

9. archanajl

archanajl New IL'ite

I happened to go through this thread today.

I think u r going in the right path. Ur husband seems to be very much dependent on ur FIL. If he joins ur FIL in abusing, I think u have to give serious thoughts about working on ur marriage life furthur.

I usually think marriages are not to be broken. But in your case, i think it doesn't stand good.If u badly want ur marriage to happen, then give it a lot of time to cool. U become financially independent first and then wait for ur husband to change. Because he has to learn to respect ur feelings. He can't just say haan daddy for everything.May be time and space would make him realise more and become mature.

It is really really difficult to leave a loved one.But it is not right to lose everything just for love. Atleast the person whom we love should be respecting us and our feelings if not anybody else.

So, just give lot of time. Meanwhile u can become financially dependent. Moreover, since the incident happened recently, by the time u give some time, u will also come out with an unemotional decision.

But before taking any major decision, think about it a lot in every angle, so that u don't regret once u have decided.The more logical u r, the more strength u will have to stick to ur decision.

Good Luck...

Love and Regards,
    Archana.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. Stillagirl

Stillagirl New IL'ite

Thank you Rishtha, Shilpa and Archana! I agree with everyone who has asked me to first get back on my feet, and I currently pursuing the same.

My marriage is definitely an uphill task and I no longer wish to return to my in-laws place.

My DH currently is showing no signs of change while my in-laws are pressurizing my parents for a legal separation. My FIL mentioned in some crazy moment that he will get his son married to a better girl someday; back then I just thought he was ranting in anger...

I wish I had the answers for everything, but I am focussing on my career...

I thank everyone for their wise advice

Stillagirl