1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Now let's discuss the stress : Few thoughts from my desk

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by subbutr, Oct 7, 2007.

1. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear friends,

Now let's discuss the stress :

Seriously, are you…

• Overly sensitive • Short-tempered • Depressed • Anxious • Nervous • Unable to sleep

These are all signs of stress and can lead to dangerous consequences.

If you have any of these you might want to consider addressing the problem.

If you don’t feel they are serious enough for professional attention, there are numerous ways you can deal with them on your own.

• Creative Visualization • Meditation • Yoga • Exercise

The goal in stress relief is to discover what is hampering your peace of mind and either eliminate, or at least learn to control it.

If we cannot deal with the things that set us off, we will not be able to open up our creative flow.

Our personal lives are usually a contributing factor in the level of stress we are subjected to.
    More times than not, our significant other will receive the brunt of our reactions.

This leads to more stress. It truly is a vicious circle.

If you can control the level of communication in your relationships, it will…

• Decrease stress • Enhance emotional communication • Open creative flows

I am a strong advocate of massage therapy.

Everyone should participate in some form of massage at least once a week, if not with a partner then on your own.

Massage opens the lines of communication when a partner expresses the trouble spots and shows appreciation for positive attention.

It also relieves the physical stress hampering your peace.

Massage is a perfect way to relieve the emotional as well as physical tension.

Meditation is our friend.

When life and the crisis involved fill our hearts and minds, we become emotionally and creatively blocked.

If your mind is muddled with negative thoughts you will be unable to express positive thoughts in a clear and entertaining way.

Lack of sleep and depression are two things whose effects can be lessened by meditation.

A process so simple as laying on your back for fifteen to twenty minutes repeating positive affirmations to yourself.

Visualization can clear the waters of your mind and offer endless possibilities for creativity.

Most important, as writers we NEED physical exercise.

Often we spend the majority of a day sitting at a computer trying to write.

This leads to…gasp…the spread…and I don’t mean something you put on a cracker.

If your body is weak and tired your mind will be too.

The level of exercise you participate in is up to you.

Something so simple as a twenty-minute walk three times a week can work wonders.

For the more intense minded person, Yoga can be the answer.

This will serve a dual purpose by working the mind and the body simultaneously.

Also important is well balanced diet.

The amount one needs of nutritional supplements, like vitamins and minerals, differs very much according to a person’s health condition, work load and exposure to environmental stress.

A person having a poor digestion, doing high performance sport or being exposed to a high amount of environmental stressors, may need more than a person in an average situation.

Don’t let stress get the better of you and ruin your chances at making writing your career.
    The ability to write is a gift.

Not everyone can do it, but please if you have that gift, don’t let something like stress hamper your success.

There is always an answer and it’s not hard to find.

A life without limits is our birthright. Explore it and Excel in it...

subbu

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Subbu sir,

Good one..thanks for sharing...most of the time the symptoms would be staring at us..but we choose to neglect/ignore them..?????????

3. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Subbu Sir,

I can see i am over stressed as i am anxious, lack of sleep, depression...

I havent taken any medication but when i was working i realised that stress leads to confusion, lack of focus, mood swings, short tempered.....

I have lot of patience and i am always ready to work hard, i dont mind putting extra hours but i dont get the same patience, same energy to work at home, become irritated and short tempered with my kid and hubby.... I dont know why?:confused:

Offlate, I have been trying on regular physical exercise. It really makes a difference. I feel i give a goodstart to my day, feel fresh and relaxed and able to get some sleep at night. Its true idle mind is devil's workshop. I think of unnecessary things and makes myself depressing.

I used to sleep a lot before without seeing the time, but for the past few years i cant get sleep at night, when everyone is sleeping and snoring.I feel sleep is a God's gift. Not everyone is blessed with that.

I appreciate your thoughts on Stress and how to overcome it.

Thanks
    Bala

4. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you Shanvy and balamotvani for the feedbacks and views.

Stress casued due to our ignorance and junk foods...

Each day, life hands us lessons. Sends us problems. Gives us tasks.

It gives us many questions, to ourselves, that we should ask.

It’s filled with pains and pleasures in the midst of our emotions.

It tempts our faith and loyalties. Creates some firm devotions.

Explore all avenues and excel !

subbu

5. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Subbu,

I am a strong believer in Massage therapy as it relives not only physical knots, but also soothes mental tension.

Always, regular walks, yoga and meditation are all major factors in relieving stress which I personally tested and found them to be true.

Now, regarding the food habits, if one learn to control temptation to eat too much of any food, it is a great strength. I am 48 years old and I strongly believe in moderation in everything and that's keeping me perfectly fit mentally, physically and emotionally.

One small bit to conclude is that heartfelt prayers for 5 minutes everyday for the world peace brings harmony and peace in our personal lives as well.

So, it seems I agree with you in toto

Great thoughts by the way and much needed for the present day.

Take care
    Geeth Priya.

6. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear geethpriya for the feedbacks and glad that many of our thoughts share the same amount of practical approach.

Stress’, the word is so much common in today’s day to day conversation, especially in the current corporate world.
    Long working hours & deadlines to be met add to all the problems leading to a main issue called ‘Stress Management’.

However let's understand if ‘Stress’ is a new phenomenon to this generation ~

Stress existed since times. Every generation had to face it in one way or other.
    The answer to stress management lies in controlling the mind.
    Thus how to control the mind seems to be an age-old problem.

A human being has got 4 personalities –Physical, Mental, Intellectual & Spiritual.

When we are under Stress it is displayed at 3 levels

Physical – Tension in shoulders, back, neck etc, Loss of appetite & reduction of physical movements.

Mental – We get deeply emotional; get depressed & there is a tremendous loss of mental energy resulting in fatigue.

Intellectual – We are not able to take decisions, imbalance in dealing with various roles of our life as employees, parents, husband / wife etc.
    Hence Stress has to be managed at separately.

At the Physical level – Do not sit in a closed room holding your head. Get out in the fresh air and take a few deep breaths. We need to have good blood and air circulation. Aerobic exercises, Yogasanas, running etc help to get us out of our laziness.
    Eat natural food like fruits, salads etc. Spicy food can make you short tempered.

At the Mental Level –
    Go out with your friends, listen to soft music, go to places that give you peace of mind like temples, ashrams etc.
    You can also take a break by going to places that are close to nature.
    Most important avoid negative people who are always out there to discourage you.

At the intellectual level –
    Try and understand the root cause of your problem.
    Investigate within yourself. Read thought provoking books.
    There are many available in the market in the name of Self Help, motivational and inspirational books.
    You can even attend workshops; listen to good speakers through audio or video.

But the most important technique lies in dealing stress at the Spiritual level – Meditation, attending to satsangs, consulting Spiritual masters gives you spiritual insights into how to deal with stress.
    A truly spiritual man is never stressed.
    He is always at ease and helps others to come out of stress.

Once we truly understand that every situation in life is temporary it will give us a lot courage and confidence to face our daily challenges.

The root cause of stress is worry
    Whenever a negative thought comes to us,immediately replace it with a positive thought.
    Eliminate it at the first stage itself.
    Always carry positive thoughts.

Finally learn to say NO in life. we cannot/should not attend to everyone’s demands
    The most stressful people are the ones who tell ‘YES’ to everything & everyone.

cya
    subbu

7. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi subbu,

Really enjoyed reading this post. And will try to follow these for myself. Thanks for posting.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Subbu Sir,
    Nice one on 'stress management' and how to deal with the 4 levels of personalites is a great analysis which can be followed practically.

sriniketan

9. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear Madhu and sriniketan for the observations and some more tips here:

Pause every hour and a half to consciously recover from the physical, mental and emotional pressures of work.

Get up from your desk for a few minutes.
    Take several deep breaths. Stretch. "
    Take a short walk around the office or inside the building.

Leave the building to breath some fresh air.
    While outside, gaze up at the sky, pay attention to a tree or a plant.
    Staring off into the distance without any particular focus actually relaxes the brain and the body.

Spend time in natural environments where you feel calm, relaxed and grounded.

Schedule time to be where the energy is actively thriving. Walking for awhile, standing near a waterfall, or watching ocean waves as you drag your feet lazily through the sand clears your mind, refreshes your body, and lifts your spirit.

Find time to be with friends, family members, co-workers and colleagues who energize you.

Engage in silly fun activities that de-stress you and give you energy.

As "Stress is a specific response to a stimulus that disturbs our physiological equilibrium in our body,This disturbance can have physical and emotional effects on us which could be positive or negative "

Relax and see the world beyond us...

Subbu

10. devvrinda

devvrinda New IL'ite

Hello Subbu,
    Thank you for the posting. It is really helpful and informative. I liked the inspiring conclusion too. "A life without limits is our birth right. Explore it and excel in it."
    with regards
    devvrinda