1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing is indisposable!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 22, 2007.

1. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Nice reading your thoughts on keeping old things from generations. We always have sentimental attachment to things belonged to our dead parents and grandparents. There was a tamil story long ago once where a child keeps a air-pillow without folding it because her mother had blow into it her breath and now that mother was dead.
    But keeping mementos is one kind of luxury because it needs space. In small houses, like ours, only memories are heirlooms.
    And then also, I think maybe preserving old things was not really in our culture. On every Bhogi day, people of olden days burnt all old things ( even the thatti roofs) and bought new for the year. The mud pots , baskets and jaadis was thrown away, no body kept them because grandmother cooked in it !! Anything broken or damaged was always thrown off as not auspicious, saying " binnam" .

My husband's Great Uncle ( who was history teacher ) use to say preservation, museum -keeping etc was all European ideas. He use to say, even big temples , king's palaces, if was damaged, was demolished full and rebuilt. No preservation on sentiment reasons ! In our culture, we don't hold on to gone things.It shows in our cremation practice - fully burnt to ash and dissolved in water. No mummification like Egypt or keeping in coffins. All our preserving was only in mind, no material ! It was simple life and full freedom from clutter. I like this Uncle's thought very much.

2 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear swarna
    I entirely agree with your view point. That's a very sensible and very practical take on the subject considering how increasing cost of living space makes our desire to hold on to old things ill-affordable. In the locality where I live, a 1000 sq.ft.house costs around a crore of rupees and the rental value of the same is around Rs.20000 pm. How can any one keep old things in such an expensive space merely because they have sentimental value? Please do not think that it is a volte-face on my part. This is just an acknowledgement of the sensibility of your view point. Present living conditions even force people to send their old people to old age homes. Where is the question of keeping things used by them as memoirs?
    I like your husband's uncle's observation of our cremation practice. You say that 'only memories are heirlooms.' I'll say amen to it!
    Sri

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful thought. I was just wondering, Sir, is there anything like a disposable cabinet (as in the governmental context)?

Besides, mementos are only material objects; memories of the ancestors are "more" permanent (till the day comes when our minds are scrapped in Alzheimer's store) and need no more than some gigabytes of space (eco friendly hardware at that).

4. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    A disposable cabinet is something that will appeal most to Manmohanji and Soniyaji. Manmohan will first dispose himself!
    Mementos, according to OED, are objects kept as reminder. They have to be material because nothing intangible can serve us as reminders. When we talk of reminders, they usually relate to unfinished tasks or an event gone by. The costly 'mementos' given to the politicians are usually meant to remind them of their unkept promises! These mementos are usually in the nature of bars of gold or a hefty transfer to their Swiss accounts.

But memories of ancestors do not require aide memoirs as you rightly point out. I do not think even Alzheimer's can wipe them out particularly when such memories are eminently forgettable!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  5. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

Yes I belong to a family that loves its tradition and cherishes its heritage. And we are cursed with not having a nonagenarian living with us. I was drop-jawed to read that you still have your grandparent's cradles and dolls around ! How fortunate to have your own private museum !

At our place, the oldest object is a photograph of my grandparent's wedding. All other memorabilia are strictly oral scraps of recalled and retold family lore, which I hope to record in a log book someday, should some future descedant of the family start investigating his/her roots in order to decipher where he/she got a particular idiosyncracy from.

Our life on earth itself being disposable, there's no wonder that nothing we have created for ourselves is 'indisposable'.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    If someone like Alex Haley is born into your lineage some ten generations hence, he would find your recorded version of all the 'oral scraps' very valuable and would be eternally grateful for it. Interestingly, my idiosyncrasies do not seem to have their origin in my family as my elders repeatedly told me in the past. Either I was very innovative to have acquired them on my own or it was Divine Intervention of the reverse kind. You know what I mean. The Lord turned the dumb Kalidasa into an enviable poet. To me He gave all the idiosyncrasies which make me stand apart from the entire family!
    Sri

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am in the school of thought that belongs to "let us not get possessed by our pride possessions". I am saying this from the point of view of our future generations and not from my perspective as I also prefer to hold on to everything that belongs to my great grand or grand parents as long as I could afford to do so. Without being insensitive to the traditions and the values of the elders, why not every generation write about their values and interesting aspects of life in a Chuvadi, note book, CD, Video, MP3 or whatever is the technology existed at that time. In future, I am not sure the next generations would even worry about learning about their great grand or grand parents and how they lived, especially considering their fast life unless it is an essay that they need to write for the school or for their research paper. Until now, we are conducting the yearly ceremonies of the elders and in future, I do not expect the next generations to do it. I would be happy if they go to a old age home and feed them in memory of their parents and grand parents. May be days are not far off, when the urns and electronic data about the previous generations are the only pride possession.

Viswa

8. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    I am fully with you on this. I do not know if you have read Alex Haley's 'Roots'. It is amazing that a man could be so passionate about knowing his roots and take such trouble to trace it. The most famous Historian of South India, Prof.K.A.Neelakanta Sastry once lamented that we did so much research to know our country's history and heritage but when it came to our family history, not many could go beyond three generations and that too because it was mandatory to know them to perform the annual ceremonies!
    Sri