1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing is indisposable!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    Self-evaluation is a continuous process and is not confined to any specific season though I agree that the tendency becomes more marked during a particular period or the other!.
    When you say 'But what saddened me, was while I was throwing away all this, there seemed to be people who wanted and valued it. That made me sad and guilty', I am able to see that one man's junk can be another man's treasure! I remember buying a lot of junk myself from the then Moore Market and to make place for them, I have thrown out my own personal junk which would find its way to the Moore Market for someone else to pick up! Kind of reminds you of Adi Sankara's 'Punarapi Jananam, Punarapi Maranam' in his immortal Baja Govindam.
    I have a great admiration for Alex Hailey's Roots. Any one who has read that book would understand the imperative need to establish our link with the past. We boast of our indepth knowledge of Babar's lineage down to Aurang Zeb but the maximum we know of our own goes back to just about three generations because of the 'Tharpanam' we perform. Even there I know that there is a lot of guess work involved in many families! It was not very tough to remember them in the past but the tendency to give up our ancestor's names and instead resort to modern names for our children will eventually cut us off completely from our past!
    People would be prepared to spend a fortune to acquire the bat of W.G.Grace or Don Bradman and that's understandable. But there is nothing wrong in the great grandson of Vaitheeswara Aiyyar acquring the bat with which Vaithu scored his only century in a street match!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    As you rightly point out, our old houses had fanciful portions like, miththam, rezhi, taazhvaaram, camera room, ukrana arai etc. I don't even know their equivalent now. Those houses even used to smell different!
    There is a saying that 'People who forget history are condemned to repeat it'. I subscribe strongly to this saying. A link with the past also provides a link to our family history from which we can learn the pros and cons of various actions. Haven't we heard of kings and rulers avoiding such actions of their predecessors as those that landed them in great difficulty?
    I agree with the constraints that hinder the preservation of our heritage stuff and the via media that you have suggested. Anything that would take us back to our hoary past is most welcome!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    Old photos are the best relics of the past! Nothing links us with our past stronger than such vintage photographs. The things that our ancestors used may not give us the same strong feelings of nostalgia as their pictures. I am glad you preserve them.
    When I look at some of the pictures of my grand parents and elders, I let my mind fly to their period as I try to figure out what their feelings would have been when they posed for that photograph!
    Sri

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri..

neelam ilam sivappu, manjalendru
    adithiruppom suvatrukku menmai nirangal
    thonguvathillaye...pattiyum thathavum
    sirikkum padangal..
    entha moolayil? kuppaiyil irukkumo?
    idam thara maruthu.....
    attic kil attam potta ninaivugal eralam
    oru puthayale irukkume...
    thoosiyum, ettukkaal poochi, thel kadikku
    amma vendumaanal bayapattirukka...
    inru family tree silar ezhuda...
    silar therinthirunthaalum ketpaar thaan yaaro...
    disposable syringe etc.,..pharmace co's
    saamarthyama nam thalayil kattum anugumurai...
    disposable amma appa illamal irunthaal sari...

sathya

5. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    Neengal ezhudiyathellam romba sari
    Onrai thavira!
    Anru photo eduppavargal
    Oru karuppu porvaikkul
    Marainthu kondu bayamuruthiyathalo ennavo
    Photokku pose kodukkumpothu
    Sirikka marandanar!
    Entha thatha paattiyavathu
    Photovil sirithukkondu
    Paarthiruppoma?!!
    Sri

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir
    Comin in late to read your thread has got an unique advantage..which is to relish the replies as much as the lead post. The reply posts add an exquisite "merugu" to your lead post so much so that I sometimes dont mind if i'm time delayed from catching up..but when I have time I have to read it first itself or "thalai vedikum".
    I am of the group that thinks everything is disposable. To be treated well and used to potential but to be discarded and not to accumulate junk. Just a matter of necessity. I had to dispose of my inlaws material things after they passed away and it was really painful. All the important things and anything of value where as usual snatched so I was left with what others percieved as unimportant. In this category came my fil's puja vessels which we considered very important and kept with us..also came his old typewriter which my son kept with him and an old clock which my husband keeps with him..So after all they were not all disposable and so everything is not all disposable..
    I am glad i retained the letters my husband wrote to me before marraige because in the almost 24 yrs now have'nt recvd/ a single letter though I do get some occassionally good emails..An items worth and value is I think in the eye of the beholder..

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    You write
    I am glad i retained the letters my husband wrote to me before marraige
    Sad that, V (the personification of conservative thinking!) never wrote to me before marriage ! But he sent me an invitation printed by his parents - perhaps, he thought, I might "abscond", refusing to marry him. Poor man, I honoured his invitation & promptly got married to him !
    I still retain the same & do not lose an opportunity to tell him that he "forced" me (read, invited) me to marry him !
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear La C
    I got some letters and some cute cards..you know they used to have some cards with small children sometimes babies and cute sayings about love and such.I got those cards too..So extremly glad I had atleast that one foresight to retain those precious memorabilia..is nothing then disposable or everything is disposable??!!??

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Well, in this case, I would say, (like in general), two negatives do not make a positive !
    I think, we interpret "disposable", to our convenience, like your interpretation of Anand's cute cards.The sentiment also counts , much more than the material point of view.We just do not have the heart to throw away some things, however constrained we are for space.
    I think, this varies with individuals; not only that, men may throw away their wives' letters as junk whereas, we women, react differently & more emotionally !
    Love,
    La C.

10. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

I used to store all Shan's letters and used to keep reading.... One fine day... Shan thought we have to clean and all letters gone.... I feel men are more senti & emotional than women....

Poor men folk....