Not fulfilling a "Mannat"/ "Promise"

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Rakhii, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, about 8 years ago, I had visited a small temple in Karnataka, India. It was a very small village near Udipi. My friends and I were in a resort close by and one of my friends took me to that temple. I was about to get married to a guy and that match was broken because he was full of lies about his job/ education and even the home ownership. That Goddess’s (a local goddess and I feel terrible for forgetting Her name now) Kumkum was given to me to apply on my forehead for 30 days. By then, I was supposed to meet my future partner.
    As I was told, I did meet my future husband within those 30 days. The catch was that, I was supposed to go back with my husband to visit that temple.

Its been 8 years and I haven’t gone there yet. Since marriage, I had been to India 2 times and I could not make that visit. Next month we are going for 3 weeks and it looks like I will still not be able to go.

I feel really ashamed that I am unable to fulfill the “mannat” even on the third visit. Trust me, I tried to squeeze in the visit but its not happening as we are there for exactly only 20 days.
    What should I do? What do people do when they cant fulfill what they promised?

I really feel bad about this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi, we try our best but when not possible we take a piece of white cloth smear it in turmeric and in it we place 1/11 rupees coins and knot it and pray to the deity and keep it in Pooja altar. When we can make the possible trip take the cloth and open it in the temple and drop the coins in the hundi. Now since you are abroad take the cloth knotted coins only if you are sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
    5 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Thanks Shanvy. I actually lost you. So, I have to take a white cloth, smear it with turmeric, put a few coins and leave it in my pooja shelf. Correct?

How many coins? Did you mean to say 11 coins of 1 rupee? And what do you mean by pray to the dirty? Typo/ auto correct? I didnt get that part.

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

it is typo - deity

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

My mobiles auto correct wreaks havoc gg thanks

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi, In a bowl you mix a little turmeric in water. Next take a piece of whit cloth. Normally we use whit dhothi old one. Say a 10x4 size or something to your convenience. Now place the coins in it.we take coins as notes could disintegrate. Usually it is 1 ruppee sometimes we do 11. In that case a 10 rs coin and a 1 rupee. 2five rupees and one. Now wrap the whole covering the coi then tir a knot gathering ends keep in Pooja shelf. Hope it is clear??

7. Rakhii

Thanks Shanvy, its much clear now. I hope She doesnt get mad at me for missing the visit for so long.

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii- disclaimer: I am not religious, you can even call me an atheist. Think of God as a parent. if you know that your child wish to do something for you but isn't getting a chance to do so- would you be mad? I assume not. So, the God (Goddess) shouldn't be mad either. Plus, God is everywhere not in one particular temple. if you really feel bad, you and your husband together donate whatever you want to a nearby temple and pray to the goddess to consider it a visit. Even better, donate to a needy. Back to school is a perfect time to donate school supplies to poor kids. And during your India trip, if you can, sponsor a child's education. I am sure the Goddess would be very happy. As we say' "nar seva hi Narayan seva hai".

9. Pupu

Pupu Silver IL'ite

Dear shanvy ma'm,
    thank you so much for this wonderful information!!!everyday we learn something new and I am very glad that I am a member of this wonderful forum!!!
    again thank u for this information!!!
    take care
    may God bless you and ur family!!

10. Pupu

Pupu Silver IL'ite

dear nussma'm,
    what a beautiful answer !!!my parents always say the same thing!!!though I am a new generation woman but I must say my parents have much broader outlook and heart.i scared of everything !!!' Your ans is so peaceful and right now I am thinking about my mom n dad:):)
    thank you!!
    may God bless u n ur family!!!
    take cr