1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not exclusively breastfeeding my 1.5 month old. Can I start now ?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by diyasdale, Sep 18, 2014.

1. diyasdale

diyasdale New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I was not getting breastmilk after delivery until 5 days, after that I was stuck with fever due to thickened milk in my breasts and didnt want to give the milk to my baby since I was on fever and didnt want the fever milk to affect baby, also I had severe back pain so couldnt feed him. So I started formula and I have been giving him formula till now (though I am breatsfeeding him on and off, but majority formula) He is 1.5 months old now, I feel really guilty and want to start exclusively breastfeeding now. But I need to join work on oct 15 and not sure what to do if my baby gets used to breast milk. Also I am not sure if there would be some benefit for my baby if I start BF now after 1.5 months after being mostly on formula, I am worried if I have lost all chances of transferring breast milk benefits to my baby and its too late. I tried to pump and feed him but he wouldnt drink breastmilk from bottle, he needs to suck directly.

Also doctor has advised to feed him every 3 hours. But my LO sleeps off when I breastfeed him in 1/2 hour itself. What do I do ? I dont want the little milk that he drinks (and goes off to sleep) to evaporate between my feeds. I am scared he may not pee :( :( I may sound lame but I am very confused and depressed.

Everybody around me is scolding me why I started formula now itself and that I need to exclusively BF him until 1 year. Please suggest how can I get over this :( :(

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

2. diyasdale

diyasdale New IL'ite

Also how do I know if he is drinking enough breastmilk ? I can measure the ampount when I feed him using bottle

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  3. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

How does the milk evaporate? Anyways point is, its not late to bf. As long as you have supply, which is based on your baby's feeds and pumping etc, you can continue. Also you can only feed when you are home and give formula when you are at the office. Don't beat yourself up. Stress causes milk go low too. Just relax and do what you feel is right for your baby. If you cannot bf, you don't become bad mommy.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can provide breastfeeding benefits to your child even if you start now. If you are serious about nursing until 1 year, I would suggest you start by taking a 'nursing vacation.' This means that starting tomorrow until Monday morning, tell your husband/family to make other arrangements for food and other household chores. You take your baby and get in bed. Get yourself a good book or put on your favorite TV series or movies, and do nothing but nurse for the next 72 hours. Nurse on demand, don't think of the time or number of hours between feedings. Just feed the baby if he asks for milk. Sleep when the baby sleeps. Wake up and nurse again. If he falls asleep too quickly, undress him up to his diaper and hold him close to your body while nursing. Skin to skin contact with your baby will help with the letdown reflex. If he cries uncontrollably even after feeding for a few hours, then give him some formula but only after nursing. Hold you baby close and nurse, nurse, nurse! Keep at it, and you should be able to transition to exclusive breast feeding. Remember the more your son nurses the more milk you will make. Drink lots of water, eat well and rest. Do nothing else. Don't get scared if he seems to be hungry. Trust your body. It will need a few days to catch up to his demand but it will happen.

Your son is getting enough milk if he wets at least 6 diapers in a 24 hour period. Don't count the poopy diaper. Only the wet ones. If you have access to a baby scale, you can weigh him before and after feeding to see how much he drinks at a time. Many baby stores will rent out a scale for $5-10 bucks a day.

Every teaspoon of breastmilk contains millions of beneficial antibodies so any milk that you can provide your child is good for him. Don't worry about not having started early. It isn't too late even now.

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry, start breastfeeding now as much as possible - give him formula only if there is absolutely no breast milk and he is crying with hunger - the more he suckles, the more milk your body will produce - so soon, your body will produce enough for baby.

Only once you join work, you can give formula - if possible, can you come home to bf during lunch???

It is not too late and you are a wonderful mom - dont feel guilty!!!

1 person likes this.