1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nostalgia Unlimited

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 2, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Memory is a strange thing. It would not be a wonder if I were to say memory and I are strangers. However it sometimes tends to come and hail me with a 'Hi stranger' and it takes me a while to recognize who this character is.

This week we had to submit a 'report' on one of 5 topics. I chose one about 'cow knocked down on NH4'. I was in no mood to write a report. I have already mentioned how I steered clear of becoming a journalist those days. But when a student has to do an assignment and risk the opportunity of winning a prize, I had to do the needful. A few plots crossed my mind. However, not wanting to indulge in journalism which tend to be inflammatory, the flames of which tend to have an ochre shade rather tending towards saffron, I had to change my plot. Eventually, as the twist at the end of the news item surfaced, it appeared that it seemed vaguely familiar. That is when Ms. Memory came back waving her hand and saying 'Hi Stranger'. She directed me to open a video on Youtube called 'Mhais' (Buffalo) by P.L. Deshpande. Sure enough, my subconscious had appropriated a semblance of the plot as my own to produce an essay of 250 words.

Today after class, there was another heap of homework to be done. I did what I could do and then turned to PLD's videos. What a man! A one man author, musician, actor, stand up comedian etc. That took my thoughts to the stand up comedy that one sees today and that of PLD. One always came away with a tummy ache after laughing hysterically (no, an ROFL does not come anywhere close) from PLD's stand up comedy. One often does the same today. However, the ONE HUGE DIFFERENCE is quality of humour. And that is how clean his humour was. Not a coincidence probably that the thought came to mind when watching a show of his about the dhobi who regularly came home to take clothes to be laundered. The other thing that strikes one is that it was not just humour, but a piece of literature that is brilliant in combining humour, daily life characters, affection for the ordinary people in one's life and the sheer level of language. The sheer treasure of proverbs and idioms that are used are ever so enriching to anyone who wants to master the language!

There will never be another one like PuLa. Watching his videos and pausing them when the camera pans to the audience to see if anyone I know is amongst them ..... I never realized I missed my home and roots so much. The Punekar in me is eternally alive.

For anyone who understands Marathi, here is the link to his ''.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy the video as I don't know Marathi. However, standup comedy is mushrooming in all languages in India and one ILite forwarded a Tamil stand up comedy to me and I really enjoyed it. I enjoy the American stand up comedy but unfortunately the young and famous ones use a lot of profanity and foul language.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa for your response. :) Yes, I won't deny that I enjoy many stand-up comedies today, but like you said, sometimes it is full of profanity and foul language and then there are really no laughs coming out of it. Having said that, there are also many who come up with really funny and poignant ones.

How I wish this video had sub-titles.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.