Nostalgia - Delhi, Sweet Delhi

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by shikamadhav, Feb 23, 2008.

1. shikamadhav

shikamadhav New IL'ite

I/We was/were there in Delhi 1984-87 and 89-95..Delhi is my heart....Prsently the fav places are incresed but at that time i was there...the places i liked INA Market, Sarojininagar market, karolbagh, lotus temple...For south indian food the best is AP bhavan..For northindian food all the places..i like chats and punjabi meals and chole-bhature on the road side...society is mixed...A good experience is delhi..I visit every year there..Madhav

2. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Glad to read your memories of Delhi. My heart also beats for delhi, no matter how much pollution or whatever.

Ria

3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Well Delhi is my home, i've been born and brought up there. I feel warmth there when i see crowds, and those auntijis in beautiful suits and talking punjabi... and such well dressed girls and guys... the great food is something i realised when i left the place... how we take for granted the gol gappe wala in the mkt near our house and the tikki wala that does the rounds of our colony...

delhi is just great, with the recent developments for the 2010 commonwealth games, delhi is becoming a very very advanced city of india, the cross over bridges all over the city, bikers of delhi police (just like those biker cops here)... etc etc etc...

4. Snehalata

Snehalata New IL'ite

Wow!! I haven't been to Delhi in more than 10 years... Has it changed so much?? Eager to go back and see.

Thanks
    Sneha

5. Uma Jogi

Uma Jogi Senior IL'ite

Hi Delhi IL's ,
    I have never been to Delhi... we are planning a vacation to Delhi soon...
    what is the best time to visit delhi,places etc...bonk
    It was interesting to know about the culture,fashion trends , food at Delhi..!!
    Wow,,, hope i will have a good vacation this time..!!

6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Madhav, thanks for that reminder of Delhi and all that it has to offer! I met my husband-to-be in New Delhi so I have very strong, romantic associations with that city. In fact, I left my home in South Africa to move there to be with him. Those were wonderful times - I remember, as you do, all the good places to eat. Andhra Bhavan was one of our favourites too, since it was really good food with free refills, and we were a young couple on a budget.

The other place we liked was the Madras Cafe in Green Park, since he's South Indian and I'm hopeless at the idli/dosa/sambhar kind of dishes! I have fond memories of curd rice and strong South Indian coffee at that place. Since I was a foreigner, it was easy for me to view the city as exciting and exotic. In fact, Delhi spoiled me, because after living there for a year, it was hard for me to compare any other Indian city favourably with Delhi! This is more a reflection of how much Delhi meant to me as a city than any real problems with other cities.

The other thing that stands out for me were crazy rides on the back of his bike through the city. It's not commonplace where I come from for people to get around by motorbike (neither is the traffic anything like it is in India!), and now as I think back on how I used to enjoy the rush as I clung on for dear life, I can't believe that was me! Delhi had some good roads for long bike rides.

I haven't been back there in 4 years, and I'd love to make a visit soon. The most romantic place in Delhi for me were the tombs. There was something very serene and peaceful about touching the stone walls of those great edifices, or just sitting quietly in the shade of a tree in the gardens. Lodhi Gardens was a great favourite of ours - it's incredible to imagine that such a splendid natural setting existed so close to the heart of the city. Inside, it was like a fortress of cool shade, clean air, and muted sounds - the perfect antidote to the not-so-pleasant aspects of living in Delhi.

7. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

uma,

The best time to visit Delhi & surrounding places at the end of feb & beginning march.have a good vacation time.

8. kaverivenkat

kaverivenkat Bronze IL'ite

I was in Delhi for more than 30 years in Karolbagh area. I left Delhi only in the year 1988. After that I used to visit there once in two years or three years. Lot of changes have come in delhi. Within 5 years i.e. before 2013 Delhi will be a beautiful city . I love Delhi and both south indian and north indian food.

Kaverivenkat

9. neetuladdha83

neetuladdha83 New IL'ite

hey ppl....

I have shifted from B'lore to Gurgaon.. can you please suggest from where I can buy good quality cookin chocolate at reasonable price...

Thanks....

10. anishastrologer

anishastrologer New IL'ite

i am not from delhi but am living here for the last four years. it is a wonderful city with lively people. and yes the heritage value and the historical importance brings it closer to heart.