1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nose Bleeding in kids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SupriyaDinesh, Mar 8, 2010.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Mommies,
    My son (3 years and 8 months) has been having node bleeing on and off in US and after landing in india too.it lasts less than few minutes.Paediatrition have told that it is nothing to worry.With the onset of extreme humid climate,it has trigger again.Anyone with kids suffering from nose bleed,please share what treatment you did.

TIA.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Supri,

My dd aged 14 has also got this problem. She has been having the same from the time she was 3 yrs old. She has the problem mostly in summerAll doctors/ENTs have given only one veridct. The verdict is because of the heat, the nostrils gets dried and even the heat induces the blood vessels to dilate and it starts to bleed.

Once this starts, normally I put an ice pack on her nose and she is fine in 5 - 10 mins. The doctor advised her to close her nostrils for 5 mins tightly (breathe thru the mouth) , head in normal position but this does not help her. I make her lie down and give this ice pack and she is fine.

3. sudhara

sudhara New IL'ite

Hi supriya,
    My brother had this problem. He was having it since his school days. All of a sudden his nose starts bleeding. We will make him sit with his face facing the cieling. and give him ice pack. he will be fine in a couple ofminutes. It continued till a couple of years ago. My SIL got terrified when she saw this the firs time after her wedding. She dragged him to the ENT who said, even blwing the nose very hard, apart from heat and other reasons, will result in tearing of delicate tissues in thenostrils andit starts bleeding. They had administered some medicines but it didn't help. eventually, he had to go for a surgery and now it doesn't occur.
    I feel if you take the doc's help at the right moment your prob will be solved. and more so, Docs say there is nothing to get petrified.
    So be cool, he will be alright.
    cheers
    sudhara

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Supriya - Dont worry because as you see from the responses here its pretty common and it is dryness in the air not humidity which causes it. If P has a nose-picking habit you might want to wean him off it. The easiest way to stop the bleed is to pinch the tip of the nose closed tightly for a couple of minutes and get the child to stay still - the bleed should stop quickly.

V.

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Lalitha,thanks for reassuring.

Sudhara, What surgery was that and what age did you do ?

Vanathi,Thanks once again for clarifying.As said before,the scene is scary.

6. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Hi Supriya, you have got nice advices. its nothing to worry ,unless bleeding is profuse or nonstop. and one more thing, dont make his head face the ceiling, it would promote aspiration and choking. to avoid that, its better to place the baby's head in normal position or facing the floor.

7. sudhara

sudhara New IL'ite

Hi supriya,
    My brother underwent a small surgery a couple of years ago (after he got married). He is in his early 30s. so don't you worry. your son willbe alright. Unless there is some serious problem, it will stop aas he grows.
    cheers
    sudhara