North Indian Wedding

Discussion in 'Punjab & Haryana' started by Ramgeetha, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Ramgeetha

Ramgeetha New IL'ite

Hi all Will any one clarify my doubts. My son is going to marry a North Indian( Goel Family] girl. We belong to South India.I want to know what are all the things i have to gift the girl during the wedding. I don't have any north Indian friend.Help me by posting the marriage procedures . Thanks in advance.

2. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Hi Ramgeetha
    I dont know whether the two parties are going to follow north indian/south indian traditions. I would explain all traditions of north indian marriage:
    1. God bharai: This is the first rasam that takes place after nakshatram have matched and both sides have given their consent. In this the boy side go to the girl's house (girl's side arranges a kind of party). You need to bring a saree and some make up items like comb, lipstick, face powder etc. Then, the boy's sister does make up of the girl with all these items. and afterwards the ring ceremony is done. (so add a ring for the girl).
    2.Tilak: In this, the girls side comes to boy's home and boy's side has to arrange party for them. Here, the girl's side brings all the gifts. But, you need to give somethings for girl like saree, dry fruits, some sweets etc.
    3.Marriage: here, you need to give the chadawa ie., the traditional gold items (common in your family) like mangalsutra, bangles, set etc.
    I think i have added everything but please do read more advices as well as i might have added/forgotten a few things

Have a good time!

3. Ramgeetha

Ramgeetha New IL'ite

Thank you Alicia5. As we are South Indians we told the girl's side to follow north Indian wedding. [They are North Indians] Being a love marriage we didn't check the horoscope matches. What are all the functions that those expenses are borne by the boy's side. Pl clarify. Thanks in advance.