1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Noodles and Bangles

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by annujp82, Apr 20, 2015.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

@annujp82 first of all congrats for the nomination, a worthy nomination and I feel you are going to the award for this write up because it is so touching and awesome. You have narrated so well that I feel I was also there seeing everything. I can imagine about your grandfather sitting in the easychair in the hall. Your post brings memories of those village houses which are so big and going from kitchen to the hall takes sometime.

Your post shows the happiness when you wore the bangles and when your mother gave you the noodles and made me sad to read when you lost your balance and the bangles broke and also the noodles but good you shared your noodles with your grandfather. It is surprising you still remember what happened when you were five years old

Your post brought me memories of staying in Hyderabad where we used to get bangles of all kinds. Like Suryakala sister mentioned they usedto bring the bangles in a trunk and see each bangle and used to put in our hands to . I am also very fond of bangles especially glass bangles because they make noise. But now bangles are so costly even glass bangles so cant wear them like before. Now a days everyone wears matching bangles. For last karthigai my brother's wife brought me two pairs of lakh bangles in which stones are there. I wear one pair everyday with calcutta bangles.

Thank you for the awesome post and taking me to down memory lane. You have a way of reaching everyone's heart through your narration

2 people like this.
  2. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Viji mami, your words make me so happy. I was reliving that episode in my head as I was writing it. Its not a very happy memory because of the broken bangles, but I truly believe that its the point where i fell in love with glass bangles and started equating them to happiness. Noodles have always been my comfort food, my companion when i was lonely and cold. This post is a tribute to the food that has touched many a generation!
    Thank you mami once again :)

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh Annu, did not know you were an avowed foodie too! What's more, a gastronomic treat has led to a literary one. Enjoyed the narrative and the most important philosophy gleaned from a plate of noodles at such an young age viz. young women carrying plates of noodles are supposed to walk daintily if they want to eat them rather than feed them to the ants and bugs on the floor!

4. annujp82

annujp82 Gold IL'ite

I dont know who i missed replying to your wonderful comment Satchi!!! :) My apologies!!!
    I sure learnt my lesson on walking slowly. No more spilled noodles or any other delicacies for me, thank you very much :)

1 person likes this.